BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Coventry Fa Cup (replay) Preview

So it’s back to the FA Cup and a home tie against Championship side Coventry City who knocked Rovers out at the 3rd round stage last January. An extremely disappointing performance, when we included fringe players such as Bruno Berner, Keith Treacy and Maceo Rigters. At that time, it seemed to be a good call by Sparky to give much needed match practice to squad players but the gamble backfired spectacularly, as we were put to the sword by Dele Adebola, Leon Best and Michael Mifsud. We should have had enough firepower to progress on that day as we included a strong line-up.

Whatever happened to those fringe players?

Well, Berner is now plying his trade with League One leaders Leicester City, Rigters gets the odd substitute appearance with Barnsley and former Academy hopeful Keith Treacy had another opportunity in the replay against Sunderland but disappointed yet again. Our once effective Academy, which produced the likes of Duff and Dunn, now appears to be an expensive baby-sitting service for lower league clubs to come along and hand pick ready made young footballers to fight their cause.

People often say that the Cup competitions can be an unwelcome distraction from the league programme, especially if you are in a relegation dogfight. However, I think we should look upon the cup as an opportunity to make progress as a club and also give some members of the squad the chance to up their fitness levels. For that reason, I think Big Sam will play a strong team and will also include the likes of Carlos, Zurab and Simpson. Of course the best-case scenario for the supporters is to stay in the Premier League and have a good cup run, hopefully with a Wembley Final appearance. It’s down to the manager and his staff as to how he plays it but I have faith that Allardyce has the necessary experience and knowledge to get things right, unlike the previous regime who had the club staring into the abyss.

Our defeat on Saturday to an impressive Villa team may just be the wake-up call that some of our players need and although Coventry had an excellent win against the Championship leaders, I am confident that we have enough quality to make it through to the next round.

Matthew Turner is a Coventry supporter and was asked to answer a few question about his team.

1. In years gone by Coventry City were looked upon as a well run family club. How do you see yourselves getting back into the Premier League?

I think the only way for us to get back into the premiership is to build a young but experienced team and aim to get promoted through the play off's. We haven't got the money or the backing to build a team to compete for the automatic places.

2. How has Chris Coleman settled in as manager and is he the man who can get you promoted in time?

I believe Chris Coleman has settled in very well and now he is building his own team. I think he will get us promoted given the time. He is a very talented young manager.

3. Who have been your best players this season and who should Blackburn be aware of?

Our best players this season so far have been: - Westwood, (probably one of the best young keepers outside of the premiership), Dann & Fox (both great defenders). But the best player has sadly gone and that was Tabb. The players that Blackburn should be aware of are Aron Gunnarsson, he puts in a great long throw and controls midfield. Clinton Morrison, his goal record explains it all. And if Westwood is having one of his days, it will be very hard to score past him.

4. Which Rovers players do you fear the most?

I don't know that many Blackburn players, but the ones that I do, I expect them to cause trouble for us. They are Santa Cruz, McCarthy and Tugay.

5. Having knocked us out of the FA Cup last season, can you repeat this feat on Saturday and what do you predict the score will be?

I reckon it will be hard for us to repeat the feat against you. Big Sam seems to have got you playing like a confident team. If it were to be repeated it would be only be by one goal. I reckon the score will be 2-1 to Blackburn. And you will be one step nearer Wembley.

Thanks for your response Matthew and good luck (after Saturday’s game) for the rest of the season.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice preview.

I'd go with the team that beat Sunderland except with MGP in place of Treacy whom I think is now a lost cause.

Yes lightening can strike twice by the way. Very important to get through this at the first time of asking.

Can we persuade Coventry to play in brown?- just for old times' sakes.

A good cup run would be a cracking boost to everyone connected to the club, and a home defeat against lower league opposition could be a huge blow to moral that could derail or chances of survival. For this reason alone (nevermind the realistic chance of silverwear - if someone knocks manure out) Rovers MUST take this match seriously.

My team would be:

Robinson

Ooijer Samba Nelsen Givet

Carlos Tugay Grella Pedersen

Rocky Roberts

subs: Bunn, Warnock/Zurab, Andrews, Dunn, Benni

McCarthy and Warnock should be dropped after poor games on Saturday. Rocky needs to play, a goal would boost his confidence no end, and this is certainly Roberts type of game. In midfield Dunn should be rested given his shocking injury record, whilst the likes of Tugs, Grella and even Andrews should be able to do the business against a championship team. I'd give Carlos another go on the right, partly because he played so well vs Sunderland but partly as we have no-one else capable of playing there.

I'm going 2-1 rovers, banishing unwelcome memories of previous encounters, as we march on to Wembley!

philipl, you have a point.

But I would rather take no risk on a game that is not that important to us.

That's why I chose that team.

Some of those players hardly deserve another chance but at least our starting team would get some rest.

not important? not bloody important????/

ITS THE FA BLOODY CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OF COURSE ITS IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FA Cup is always important but if you had to choose, which one would you prefer: Premier league or FA Cup?

BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we do get relegated it would be good to be fa cup winners

if we stay up it would be good to be fa cup winners too.

2 weeks without meaningful football combined with garbage weather is getting me down, extra week stuck in relegation zone. i hate the fa cup, personally i'd prefer the premier league be 24 teams again and there be a constant run of saturday and midweek fixtures.

winning fa cup only gets the same reward as winning the mickey mouse trophy, uefa. games in my mind should be midweek, my disinterest with cups is second only to my irritation at 2 week breaks for internationals.

i don't kow exactly what my team for the cov game would look like, but i certainly would'nt pick anyone who i'd consider for an important league game(i.e every league game)

not important? not bloody important????/

ITS THE FA BLOODY CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OF COURSE ITS IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed Abs just read the warnock comments from the LT !! whats the point of anybody going on Saturday if the competition means nothing I think all fans should not go and leave them in a empty stadium with no revenue in fact why bother entering the competition just write to the FA and say the money to stay in the overrated prem lg is far more important. Tell that to the Pompey fans last season who ended up with AC Milan visiting Fratton Park because of the FA Cup.

FA cup offers Europe spot trip to wembley although if we play like Saturday we would be lucky to beat Accy Stanley!

And what good would it be for Rovers to be in Uefa Cup and in 1st division?

In a normal year, when we were mid table, I would want that FA Cup was considered a priority.

Nowadays, I prefer that our best players are ready and 100% fit for the Premier league.

Financially it would soften the blow, surely? But let's not entertain the possibility.

Actually from what I’ve read the Uefa Cup isn't that profitable in terms of prize money. Plus with our small attendances we would probably be hardly making any money from being in it.

I agree with Oklahoma a cup run would be nice but the league has to be our priority. If we were in mid table and there was a gap between us and the bottom I would care a lot more about this competition and would want us to go all out to win it.

Actually from what I’ve read the Uefa Cup isn't that profitable in terms of prize money. Plus with our small attendances we would probably be hardly making any money from being in it.

I guess so. It has been completely eclipsed by the Champions League now.

• Backroom

For me I'd like to play a semi strong team including Roque (as philipl says get him scoring asap) but I'd like Blackman to get a place on the bench, if he's not cup tied that is.

Bunn

Simpson Nelsen Zurab Givet

Carlos Andrews Mokoena Pedersen

Roque Roberts

Subs: Brown, ollson, dunn, blackman, Tugay

Archived