BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Coventry Fa Cup (replay) Preview

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Olsson should get a start on the left wing - or maybe Gamst should play to remind him that he's not living up to expectations. Treacy has had a fair chance to show something - and it seems fairly clear that he ain't got nothing.

I find this new pragmatism about the FA Cup wholly depressing. The ONE chance of us having some excitement and maybe getting somewhere (other than relegation haunted scrappy, grappling fests of pinball league football) and we basically want to exit, decorously, as soon as possible, to concentrate on said scrappy, grappling.

BTW: Lightening can't strike twice, cos he's moved to Barnsley. :rolleyes:

As I've said before, I think we need to play a strong team in this game for a number of reason. Firstly to right the wrongs of when they knocked us out last year, secondly to carry confidence into the next game and thirdly in no particular order so we can progress and actually have a realistic chance of going to Wembley given the luck of the draw.

I think there are certain players pushing for a place and who have the right to try and earn a place for our league games so they should be given a chance but I don't want to see us making wholesale changes and putting out a weak side. This could either mean us going out or facing another replay which isn't what we need right now.

I'd go for

Robinson

Simpson

Nelson

Samba

Givet

Villanueva

Dunn

Grella

Pedersen

Santa Cruz

McCarthy

Robinson, Nelson and Samba all need to stay together to build a strong unit, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Zurab come in again. Givet has looked solid in his couple of appearances and for me Warnock hasn't been at his best this season, Givet deserves a chance to earn a place in the team. We still need a viable option to Ooijer as he is not a right back, at least Simpson has pace, he has a lot to prove but hopefully he can improve.

Carlos needs a game, he's a goal threat and can create chances, right midfield isn't the best place for him, I wouldn't mind seeing him up top with Roque to be honest, perhaps Dunn shifting on to the right and Tugay into the middle, but I have other ideas for Dunn really. Tugay doesn't need to play, we know his class and we should have enough to beat Coventry, he's probably one of the few who would benefit from sitting out the game. Dunn and Grella with Tugay aside has to be our best center midfield pairing at the moment so should be given the chance to see what they can do. With Grella sitting back it allows Dunn to get forward, the same could be said for Carlos if Dunn was shifted onto the right. The left midfield spot is up for grabs but Treacey has had a fair few chances and I can't see him being the one to change our season, the same goes for Olsson who I feel has potential on the left wing but now is not the time for experiments, he's barely played there. Pedersen needs to get back to his best, a goal might do wonders for his confidence and he is still the best we have so that's why he's in the team for me.

Roque has to play, quite simply he needs a goal to take into premiership games, he's our best striker and Sam needs to find a way to get the best out of him. It's a no brainer for me that he has to start. The other striking option is an interesting one, Benni and Roque haven't played well together in the past so it's about time Sam got them too, on paper they are our best strikers if not best players, get them firing together and we'd stay up easy, it really is that simple considering the defence has tightened. However with that being said they haven't played well together and Roberts is on form, still for me though he tries hard and is a constant menace but not nessicarily the sort of threat we need against Coventry. In fact throughout writing this I'm slightly leaning to putting Carlos in a support role which in my opinion is where he would be his most threatening. The problem this creates though is on the right of midfield, Dunny would have to shift there meaning a gap in midfield which perhaps the Axe could fill. Leaves it looking pretty defensive in the middle but that's not nessicarily a bad thing especially with the attack minded Diouf to come in. Maybe we could switch to a keep it tight in the middle policy and get it wide as quickly as possible allowing the likes of Dunn(Diouf in league games) and Pedersen to get forward more than normal. Carlos would then be the link between midfield and attack.

I've kind of gone of on a tangent now so I'll just be quiet, at least I'm actually looking forward to this game though, it's not been often lately we go into a game that I expect us to win! Probably just cursed us there!

In closing though I don't see the point of giving too many fringe players a run out unless either first teamers need a rest or we feel they can actually offer us something this season. For me the likes of Olsson, Treacey, Haworth are not going to do that. Villanueva and Simpson are the only ones for me who can potentially offer anything, Simpson only falls into that category as he's the only fit right back in the squad.

(in reply to rover6's post)

Shocking in my view. Very cross with Warnock for making those comments for all to see.

Then, no doubt, there will be moaning and groaning in the likely event that Rovers fans do not bother to turn up for the match :angry:.

If we win this tie, we are in the q/finals of the fa cup and one game away from Wembley!

Coventry home is not a banker like last season showed but it's a great chance to progress.

I will be gutted and seriously annoyed if we don't go through. Yes the league is a priority but a cup run is great for team spirit and confidence.

I went to the worthington cup final Cardiff 2002 and to the semi final at old trafford 2 years ago. Even though the results where different, awesome days indeed.

This is a pic from sam platts i took before the game, the atmo was incredible!

2421510226a4329251110b95056745l.jpg

I'm not tall, I was just standing on a table!

SPOT ON PRESTY. Can't beat the magic of the cup with potential days out in the sun like the one at Old Trafford. Would love to watch the blues add Wembley for the 3rd time too following on from play off and full members cup final. Will be a jolly boys outing which should also reinvigorate our support potentially and regenerate some interest in the club

Can we persuade Coventry to play in brown?- just for old times' sakes.

may be a bit late but get on the phone to them quick philipl - your wish may come true

taken from the rivals board and GMK fanzine

'The Brown Is Back

Coventry will be donning an updated version of the brown strip when they play their final home game of the season, against Watford on Friday April 24th. A game which falls on the 125th anniversary of the club.

Fans will be able to buy the limited edition shirt too. However, just 1,125 are being produced and they will be available in adult sizes only.

If you're all about the brown then you can reserve your shirt at the club shop on December 28th. Any left after then will be available on the club shop website the next day. A small number will also be available at the club's outlet in Asda in Walsgrave.

If it's not quite your cup of tea, then you can just point and laugh at the sorry fashion victims instead! '

Certainly a game for Carlos to play in. He did more than enough last time and still have high hopes for what he can do when he becomes fully climatised.

Also the Axe to start and hopefully another fizzer into the top corner - no i'm getting silly now, we wont see another of those for a while.

Can we persuade Coventry to play in brown?- just for old times' sakes.

taken from the rivals board and GMK fanzine

'The Brown Is Back

Coventry will be donning an updated version of the brown strip when they play their final home game of the season, against Watford on Friday April 24th. A game which falls on the 125th anniversary of the club.

If it's not quite your cup of tea, then you can just point and laugh at the sorry fashion victims instead! '

70s_coventry_city_chocolate.jpg

Which was an offshoot of the the Welsh kit from the same era, mid 70s.

32489.jpg

Let's turn this thread on its head.

Suppose we lose to Coventry.

Nothing to look forwards to except an Allardyce grim relegation battle. What is that going to do to attendances and interest?

Of course this game is massively important!

every league game left is of massive interest, if we were comfortably mid-table like wigan there is no interest left in the season but we are'nt and its been a couple of seasons since i was so anxious and interested in every league game. The remainder of this season is massive, don't want us to lose but i really would be sick if santa or warnock got an injury against cov.

Also the Axe to start and hopefully another fizzer into the top corner - no i'm getting silly now, we wont see another of those for a while.

I don't think the Axe will ever score one of those again.

The grins on the other players' faces said it all...

If we win this tie, we are in the q/finals of the fa cup and one game away from Wembley!

Coventry home is not a banker like last season showed but it's a great chance to progress.

I will be gutted and seriously annoyed if we don't go through. Yes the league is a priority but a cup run is great for team spirit and confidence.

I went to the worthington cup final Cardiff 2002 and to the semi final at old trafford 2 years ago. Even though the results where different, awesome days indeed.

This is a pic from sam platts i took before the game, the atmo was incredible!

2421510226a4329251110b95056745l.jpg

I'm not tall, I was just standing on a table!

I'm sure that's my St. George / Rovers flag in the left hand side of that pic.

(in reply to rover6's post)

Shocking in my view. Very cross with Warnock for making those comments for all to see.

Then, no doubt, there will be moaning and groaning in the likely event that Rovers fans do not bother to turn up for the match :angry:.

I notice he wasn't saying that when he played against Trinidad & Tobago. I bet Warnock's sentiments would have been very different had he been selected for England's friendly this evening. Now that is a nothing fixture.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09022009/58/...ns-nothing.html

Sorry RM, I know you don't appreciate the 'reply box'.

? Do you mean the quotes, lf? Only when folks quote long posts that are directly above their own ;)

Absolute piffle from Warnock. I'm looking forward to Saturday and we had jolly well better give good account of ourseves.

Gaz-Thats the second time you have said you could not care less if we lose, I can't believe that. What's up with you man? Why bother at all if you feel like that?

i want Rovers to win every game, but if we were to loose this game, i would not be to upset, because if you did know by now we are in one hell of a relegation battle, so the league has to come 1st i am affraid Ozzie

I passionately want us to win this- getting ko'd by Coventry at home again would be a sure pointer towards relegation if Sam could not pick and motivate a team to get to the 6th round.

Warnock probably knows that Givet is good enough to take his Cup Final place!

Getting the £200K win pay-out for beating Rovers is a big issue for Coventry. That is the reality of relegation.

I'd also say that it's a very big deal for us now that we're "washing our own face". We have loans to pay off after all. Oh, and if we win we'll be two games from the FA Cup final! Surely we can't forget about that can we? You know, the glory bit - which is what it's all about isn't it.

I can't understand people who are not bothered about winning this tie. I'm sure you would all be first in the que for tickets if we got to the final!

This is to ideal of an oppurtunity to miss, imagine winning this then getting Fulham/Swansea or Hull/SheffU at Ewood in the quarters?

Archived