BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stoke City Preview 18th April

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The positives really did come from the fans.

I thought we were exceptional from start to finish and out sung one of the best supports in the Premiership.

We need this support in the next 5 games to see us through.

If Spurs can do us a favour tommorrow, it will still be in our hands.

Next Sunday is massive make sure your down at Ewood!

I really wonder how we would be doing now if we had appointed Souness, instead of Allardyce.

Its hard to predict, but with Souey’s ego and reputation in terms of falling out with players at the worst possible time I’d bet we would be in a worse situation than we are now. There will be those who harp on about Ince saying Allardyce hasn't done much better, well that’s BS. 34 goals conceded in 17 games meaning we had to score 3 goals per game in order to get a win, we would have been dead and buried ages ago if Ince had stayed.

The board/trust’s part in this whole shambles is increasing as each game passes; the midfield has been a problem for at least 3 years and clearly needed some investment.

I was under no illusions when Sam came in, there was no 100% guarantee we would stay up. Let’s face it you can’t polish a turd.

Whatever happens you need to take a really long hard look at all levels of the club in the summer.

The team needs seven or eight new players.

The manager may not be the answer.

The board need to get their fingers out or pay for their complacency.

Whatever happens you need to take a really long hard look at all levels of the club in the summer.

Thing is Nicko this is never going to happen, even if we sold Roque. We've seen our club in decline ever since the end of the 2005-6 season and there has been nothing done in order to fix it.

If we go down i seriously think we are ######, the trust won't put money in, the parachute payment will be gobbled up, our best players will leave.

The real problem ladies and gentlemen is midfield. How much did that midfield cost? In today's market absolutely peanuts - and that's too much for them. No width, no pace, no quality. Not one shot on goal as far as I remember. We're paying for the chronic lack of investment in the team. Oh and please, don't anyone tell me ever again that Andrews is a good player. He's completely out of his comfort zone.

Oh and were have you been den this season to suddenly figure this out ?

Pity you couldnt see it six games into the season JAL.

Those of you who want Ince back, remember that we are in this mess because of the 17 games that he was incharge, Sam took charge with us 5 points of safety, we are still 3 points clear tonight, Sam has performed a minor miracle to get us to this position. Yes today was disappointing but we still live to fight another day, if it goes to the last game so be it, we can still get out of this, I would much rather be in our position then that of Boro, Newcastle or Hull.

Is that three point cushion sustainable with the 'hoofball' and slow players on show ?

I don't think I have the heart to go through this again next year. Is it time to bow out and move on??? That's my feeling at the moment.

OK we don't expect to be in the top 6 but we have always competed and been able to give it a go every week.

A trip to Ewood in the last 2 seasons has been a very depressing experience indeed.

No flair or skill, very few chances and some players who frankly are 2 leagues above their level.

The only skill i've seen this year has been provided by the opposition. It's good to watch the top men, but only as long as they're not playing in an exhibition match against a no hope team.

If there are 3 worse than us then my god they must be bad.

If we are relegated this year with this team I think we may be in for another relegation battle next.

So maybe it's as well if we can somehow stay up this year and build a side that can challenge in the Championship in 2010/11.

Just an awful time for Rovers fans to see a team unable to match even the poorest of Premier League opposition. Even more depressing that I don't think we lack for effort, just ability.

SACK THE BOARD !

Hear, hear nicko, the shower of w@nkers in the boardroom need shooting for what has gone on over the past two years or so.

Its nothing 99.9% of Rovers fans haven't known for quite a while to be honest nicko.Complacency is the key word to it all....past and present.

As a neutral who goes to Uni in Stoke I obviously take an interest in their results and performances and went to their win against Boro a few weeks ago.

No consolation to you tonight but the Britannia stadium is an incredibly difficult ground to go to due to hostile fans, weather conditions (although it looked sunny today) and the tightness of the pitch. Only 3 teams have won there all season (Everton, Chelsea and Manure) and defensively they don't concede many.

Again as neutal, I think big Sam picked the best team he could with what was available and to try to counter the opposition. He was right to stick Smaba back in defence as you need as many tall defenders as possible against Stoke away, a midfield trio of Warnock, Mokonea and Andrews hafd enough pyshique and tigerish qualities about it to be competitive and even though McCarthy isn't a lone striker, him supported by MGP and Diouf is pretty much the best you';ve got at the moment. Only real surprise to me is Grella didn't start but suppose fitness is a big problem for him to start.

Don't really know how the match panned out but sounded like one of few clear cut chances which stoke nicked which dosen't surprise me.

You'll still stay up and you'll need a overhaul of personnel which Big Sam has done at Bolton and also at Newcastle where he didn't have enough time so just hang in there as you'll be much better next season.

Guest Vinjay606
Couldnt of put it better myself. I am a Sam fan but in the last 4 games I have grown worried by his inept team selections.

I know we support a poorly run club but how this season has happened or been allowed to happen, well over to the Jersey crew to provide answers????

Their next statement is probably due in 2012 if god forbid they are still in charge.

Playing for a draw isn't good enough. Negative attitude from management which is clearly rubbing off on the players. At least there will be an attempt to win against Wigan Athletic.

What are you on about JAL? Bet you can't explain.

Why suddenly post the midfield as a problem when everyone and his blinddog connected with football can see the midfield has always been a problem for Rovers that you decide to post it with five games to go.

Well, I do hope that the trust is happy with its prudent financial management if/ when we do go down.

People can have a go back at me, saying that they've done their best, BRFC is a loss-making concern, why should they throw their money at the club, blah blah blah.

But the cold facts are that the team is suffering from chronic under-investment and it's putting our Premiership existence at stake. Now if they're happy for this to be the case, then great. Because if it carries on then we'll go down, if not this season then in the next two.

Dress it up however you like but today;s team just looks so weak. We've got a Norwegian meterosexual who has barely put a shift in for 2 or 3 years, he's laughing all the way to the bank because the only competition we've given him for his place in all that time is a German nut-job.

At least in '99 we were still spending money. Today's team is weaker and we've got no cash.

All we had to do was avoid giving away the sort of pass Andrews gave away. Even then, Robinson failed horribly when called upon.

Rubbish, the goal was down to a mistake by Givet who hesitated fatally letting the Stoke player get the ball and then allowing him to turn and get his shot in.

Not much Robinson could do about it.

Why suddenly post the midfiled as a problem when everyone and his blinddog connected with football can see the midfiled has always been a problem for Rovers that you decide to post it with five games to go.

Cos I'm trying to tell the people how the game went today. Your match comments have been very helpful haven't they!

Rubbish, the goal was down to a mistake by Givet who hesitated fatally letting the Stoke player get the ball and then allowing him to turn and get his shot in.

It initially came about from an awful pass from Andrews, Rev.

Quite surprised by some of the reactions just skiming through the last few pages.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when Big Sam took over, you were second from bottom and the only real objective was to stay up as you were quite a bit adrift of that with the mess Ince left you?

So not sure what's changed. He's made you competitive, hard to beat and defensively far better (apart from the thrashings at Liverpool and Arsenal). You'll stay up as there's no chance two of Barcodes, Boro and Hull will collect enough points to finish above you so job done.

Then you can readress the problems in the summer and I agree there does need to be a big overhaul of players as you have too many injured, old or just not good enough partiuclarly in midfield. Big Sam did it frequently at Bolton so can't see why he can't do it at your place.

Is anyone confident that if 3 points - or even 1 point - is needed at home WBA this utterly clueless spineless bunch (Nelsen,Samba excepted) is capable of delivering? I see a repeat of the Forest fiasco of 10 years ago.

Good news for you as WBA are complete and utter @#/?.

Can't think of a better last game to have than them at home.

Come on rev, Givet could probably have done better but he was caught in a one v one situation through a complete lack of concentration from Keith Andrews. When Andrews had the ball it was Rovers who should have been going on to have a shot at the Stoke goal not the other way round.

From an attacking point of view what did Keith Andrews provide for the team, for me I didnt see anything in his game at all along with the bafana bafana superstar.

Guest Vinjay606

Well they are the ones who ordered the sacking of Ince in my opinion. Just about the one helpful thing from them. Don't know how much influence they had over BFS being appointed. If he fails then he has to be sacked as well. Promising enough at first but it's his stifling tactics today (and that garbage last week though at least today there was some effort) that are dragging BRFC back into this. That's not good enough.

A bad result against Wigan and he will have to go for a win at COMS.

Come on rev, Givet could probably have done better but he was caught in a one v one situation through a complete lack of concentration from Keith Andrews. When Andrews had the ball it was Rovers who should have been going on to have a shot at the Stoke goal not the other way round.

From an attacking point of view what did Keith Andrews provide for the team, for me I didnt see anything in his game at all along with the bafana bafana superstar.

Having witnessed todays game i'd say you see better games in the Blackburn combination and sunday league than that professional game.

Quite surprised by some of the reactions just skiming through the last few pages.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when Big Sam took over, you were second from bottom and the only real objective was to stay up as you were quite a bit adrift of that with the mess Ince left you?

So not sure what's changed. He's made you competitive, hard to beat and defensively far better (apart from the thrashings at Liverpool and Arsenal). You'll stay up as there's no chance two of Barcodes, Boro and Hull will collect enough points to finish above you so job done.

Because after the good work of getting out of the relegation zone, it looks like we're doing everything to get ourselves back into it.

Archived