BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stoke City Preview 18th April

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened when Benni went off? Who went up front?

Sam's negative tactics are beginning to grate. I understand we have injuries to key players, but he's not doing himself or the club any favours with his choice of personnel. With Dunn, Grella, and Carlos on the bench, he opts for Warnock, Mokoena, and Andrews in midfield. We knew straight away that the midfield would be bypassed again, and with Benni isolated up front the high-ball would be pointless. Okay, we might expect that team selection if Sam was throwing the towel against the top four, but this was a crucial game for us. We could have put a bit of breathing space between us and teams below, but now we've been sucked right back into it.

Got back ten minutes ago.

Very briefly - 10 out of 10 to the lads at the back, they were awesome. Up front Benni and Diouf had no chance, - both want the ball short and to feet. Even if they got that, no-one was going to run past them.

The real problem ladies and gentlemen is midfield. How much did that midfield cost? In today's market absolutely peanuts - and that's too much for them. No width, no pace, no quality. Not one shot on goal as far as I remember. We're paying for the chronic lack of investment in the team. Oh and please, don't anyone tell me ever again that Andrews is a good player. He's completely out of his comfort zone.

We had better win next week or it might be too late. Somehow, we have to get Roberts [never thought I would ever say that], or Rocky [preferably both] onto the park.

Oh dear.

Not so much Blackburn Rovers as Blackburn Rubber Dinghy-Men.

I think your missing the point of the rubber dinghy men quote.

It was said about players who would leave a sunken ship and continue in the prem by joining other premier league clubs, which is what a few did.

If any players leave this team, with one exception, they won't be going back into the prem because they aren't good enough.

Den,what was the reaction of the Rovers fans at the end,did they make their feelings known to the players?

Don't know SG. We were right next to the exit and made a dash right on the final whistle.

I don't think I have the heart to go through this again next year. Is it time to bow out and move on??? That's my feeling at the moment.

OK we don't expect to be in the top 6 but we have always competed and been able to give it a go every week.

A trip to Ewood in the last 2 seasons has been a very depressing experience indeed.

No flair or skill, very few chances and some players who frankly are 2 leagues above their level.

The only skill i've seen this year has been provided by the opposition. It's good to watch the top men, but only as long as they're not playing in an exhibition match against a no hope team.

If there are 3 worse than us then my god they must be bad.

If we are relegated this year with this team I think we may be in for another relegation battle next.

So maybe it's as well if we can somehow stay up this year and build a side that can challenge in the Championship in 2010/11.

Just an awful time for Rovers fans to see a team unable to match even the poorest of Premier League opposition. Even more depressing that I don't think we lack for effort, just ability.

Just to add SG, the fans were great throughout the entire game. The team didn't deserve any bad treatment from the fans though, because they did their best. The problem today - IMO - was the lack of the quality required to open up a determined, but not very good Stoke side.

I don't remember rovers creating one opening, never mind one shot on target.

A bad day at the races for us. We did not create a thing, but with 1 fit striker, who is a poacher not a grafter, we were never going to get much. The only player who looked like he'd do something scored the only goal. Lawrence was the best player out there today for me. There's no use dissecting where Rovers have gone wrong this season as there are so many factors. I just hope Allardyce and the players have enough mettle to see us over the finish line in 17th place or higher.

2 wins should have us staying up, 3 would cement it. Wigan, Portsmouth and WBA at home. Stoke have got 32 of their 39 points at home. What do we have? 17? If I was a Stoke fan I'd be more than happy, but I'm not so it's going to go to the wire.

am surprised at SA's tactics the only way you can go 1 up front is when either rocky/Roberts up there Benni just does not play up there well on his own so that's the first mistake I have to agree our midfield is very weak and that is down to the owners we need serious investment in that area and and unless the owners put their hands in their pocket we will end up playing champ footy and I do think players like Treacy/Andrews/The Axe should be moved on in the summer also what a decision to leave Tugay at home what was the thinking behind that he should have at least been on the bench when things are not working out you need someone who can put their foot on the ball and pass it accurately which sadly our midfield have forgotten to do have to say really disappointed with this debacle.

also what a decision to leave Tugay at home what was the thinking behind that he should have at least been on the bench when things are not working out you need someone who can put their foot on the ball and pass it accurately which sadly our midfield have forgotten to do have to say really disappointed with this debacle.

I would have put Tugay on the bench as well. Yes his legs might be shot but he does offer something different in midfield.

Dire performance and one that has been in keeping with previous results but we (the players, the fans, the management) simply cannot afford to wallow in this, we must move forward, make the changes in the personnel and provide some sort of attacking threat at goal.

I would do the following for the Wigan game:

1. Play a midfield consisting of Grella, Dunn, MGP and Diouf, all of whom have the technical skills to PASS a football.

2. Pray to god that one of either Roberts or RSC is fit for the Wigan game.

3. Drop Andrews, Aaron and Warnock.

4. If neither Roberts/RSC is fit I would consider playing Samba up front WITH Benni, there is no point playing Benni by himself, he is worse than useless.

Overall looking at the table tonight we need Spurs to do us a massive faviour against Wigan after that there can be no more mistakes, we need 6 points from 5 games, this is achieveable.

As I have said previously we need a clear out of players but as Gord mentioned in an earlier post, it is very difficult to give a boll****** to a group of players at this stage of the season as we have no one to replace them with, Big Sam is literally walking on eggshells.

• Backroom

This is probably the most contempt I have had for a Rovers team since 1999. Another disgraceful performance, another inept display, another tick in the loss column. If Newcastle win tomorrow we are in deep, deep trouble.

Saying that, hats off to Stoke. Man for man, they probably have less natural talent than our squad, but what they lack for in talent they make up for in sheer work ethic and never-say-die attitude. Our pathetic excuse for a team could learn a lot from the team they lost to today. Stoke deserve to stay up far more than we do, and I don't begrudge them a victory because we are quite simply nowhere near as good of a unit as they are.

Just when i thought we were pulling out of this, things are beginning to look bleak. A lot of the players need to take a long, hard look at themselves and apologise to the fans they continually letting them down. If we do not start showing a bit of urgency and pride we will be overtaken by Newcastle or Boro.

Very, very depressed.

Dissapointing? Try useless and clueless.

To me that confirms my earlier thought that Sam has no plan B right now. It's just keep it tight and grab a set piece when possible. We went for a point and the second Stoke scored we were screwed.

We are running on plan C at the moment. Plan A is to pick 2 strikers from 3 fit players, Plan B Pick 2 from 2, Plan C play the only fit striker we have. And apart from letting the weak Derbyshire go to bring in Diouff on the right that is not Allardyces fault. The club is skint and injuries TO KEY PLAYERS have hammered us.

As for the result today that was simply down to Paul Ince from beyond the grave.

As for the result today that was simply down to Paul Ince from beyond the grave.

Come on, it's far too easy to make a scapegoat out of Ince. I know his tenure had ramifications for the club, but Sam is employed to pick the best 11 and live or die by his decisions. He didn't get it right today.

Come on, it's far too easy to make a scapegoat out of Ince. I know his tenure had ramifications for the club, but Sam is employed to pick the best 11 and live or die by his decisions. He didn't get it right today.

I meant his decision to sign a 4th division player.

Couldnt of put it better myself. I am a Sam fan but in the last 4 games I have grown worried by his inept team selections.

I know we support a poorly run club but how this season has happened or been allowed to happen, well over to the Jersey crew to provide answers????

Archived