BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fifa 10

I really hate 2 points to the new game:

Point 1: The lack of reality in the speed of some players. If iv got Ashley Young then I wouldnt expect any old defender to keep up with me. This is something that needs fixing.

The 2nd point: Any player can more or less outmuscle the attacking player, no matter how small your opponent player!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant stop getting done on the counter attack. Cant stop my fullbacks going forward, then every single person ive played just sit back and do a through ball to messi or someone out wide. Ill pass it around to create a chance through good football, 90% of opponents I play just pas throughball shot. Cant be much fun playing like that every game.

Also the stupidly incessant closing down and pressure is doing my head in. The only way Ive found to beat it is to pass the ball so quickly its verging on ping pong, then the reduced game speed ends up going out the window. I had better football matches on 09.

Guest Kamy100

FIFA 10 does seem to have a lot of issues, some of them small, some of them big.

The good news is that EA have confirmed that they are doing a a second patch which should be out within the next few weeks.

I am going to keep hold of the game because it does have a lot of potential and I am sure that EA will look at the major bugs and sort them out. I am also looking forward to buying PES2010 which is out next week!

I cant stop getting done on the counter attack. Cant stop my fullbacks going forward, then every single person ive played just sit back and do a through ball to messi or someone out wide. Ill pass it around to create a chance through good football, 90% of opponents I play just pas throughball shot. Cant be much fun playing like that every game.

Also the stupidly incessant closing down and pressure is doing my head in. The only way Ive found to beat it is to pass the ball so quickly its verging on ping pong, then the reduced game speed ends up going out the window. I had better football matches on 09.

I feel your pain. The clossing down and pressure is also totally unrealistic, it's like playing against eleven Robbie Savage's the amount of pressure you can put on opponent players. The only way round this is to do quick counter-attacks really, I try to actually play a nice passing attacking football I usually dominate possession and try and work an opening but then annyoingly get caught on the counter-attack from a simple throughball.

Another annoying fact is back post crosses that the computer seems to do at every opportunity and often results in goals. Yet there's nothing you can do about it since your fullback often drifts inside leaving a player totally unmarked at the back post to score.

Why are your full backs going forward though? Is it because your playing a give and go pass where the original passer runs on to makew space?

To be fair I dont have that problem - I just have a problem getting stopped by any slow defender even if I have ashley young!! I must admit though, now iv played a few games, im getting better at it!

I'm really starting to get the hang of this. I'm playing all my games as Rovers now regardless of the opposition and I'm winning more than I'm losing. I've got a few tips for anyone who's struggling, it might not work for everyone but I hope it will help:

1. Whilst you are learning the game, play custom unranked games. You tend to get players more your level and you can learn the game better, plus if you lose - don't quit - it doesn't matter! If your getting thrashed try and learn from the opposition.

2. Pick a team and stick with it (i.e. Rovers). That way you can customise your tactics and save them so you don't need to faff around in the setup. You also get to learn their strenghts and weaknesses and become more "at one" with them.

3. Customise your tactics. Set the "pressing" atttribute so about 85-90. If you use the defensive option of "cover" your full backs are given more protection. Also if you find your full backs are getting murdered for pace, set your defensive line a little deeper. You might also consider setting your width to slightly narrow - if you're sat deep your full back can run the winger into the corner.

4. When the opposition get the ball and start a counter attack - do not immediately press them with your centre backs. Instead, concentrate on getting your midfielders back, most players expect you to come strasight at them - don't, the counter attack will slow down and allow you to get numbers behind the ball.

5. When defending, use the "jockey" button (RT on Xbox) religiously. I find (as in real football) the real damage is done when the winger cuts inside. Always be ready for this, you'd be amazed how many players do it and get away with it. Don't stand too close when you jockey.

6. Use the hold (RT) button when recieving a forward pass to feet. The defenders are on you in milliseconds in FIFA 10 - so press it everytime the ball goes forwards. WIth a little practice, you can tap the hold button and then quickly flick the Right analogue to "roll" your defender and leave him for dead - works well with Di Santo, McCarthy and Kalinic particularly.

7. Don't be afraid to play the ball backwards. If you are about the recieve the ball and can see 2 or even three players coming for you, lay it back, and build up again - nothing lost.

8. Lofted Passes - USE THEM. Yes, they were crap in Fifa 09 but they work great in 10. They travel a lot faster across the park now with less elevation - if you are having no joy down one flank, lay if back to Salgado or Givet then spray it out to Chimbonda. The opponents will lose their shape as they come across to cover which gives you a valuable few seconds to work an opening. Golden rule of attacking this, pull the other out of shape and you can create chances.

For anyone still awake I hope at least some found those slightly useful. Seasoned players may not agree with some of these but they work for me. I'm loving this game as it's now not about the team with the fastest striker, it's about playing some football.

Can you set up custom tactics and then use them online? Not formations but the actual tactics like passing, speed, pressure etc? There isnt an option to do change the tactics online. Will they only be applicable to unranked matches?

Can you set up custom tactics and then use them online? Not formations but the actual tactics like passing, speed, pressure etc? There isnt an option to do change the tactics online. Will they only be applicable to unranked matches?

Yes, edit team from the main menu. I edited Rovers starting line ups and tactics (pressure, shots etc.) so it's just a case of click ready and go. (Bear in mind you can have up to four setups which means you can change on the fly - very useful.. I've never played a ranked game yet (and probably won't) so I don't know, although I suspect it will download a default squad file - correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yes, edit team from the main menu. I edited Rovers starting line ups and tactics (pressure, shots etc.) so it's just a case of click ready and go. (Bear in mind you can have up to four setups which means you can change on the fly - very useful.. I've never played a ranked game yet (and probably won't) so I don't know, although I suspect it will download a default squad file - correct me if I'm wrong though.

On ranked it updates from the adidas live squad so no custom tactics can be loaded. That also explains why I keep playing unranked games against liverpool with Adebayor and created players in the team.

On ranked it updates from the adidas live squad so no custom tactics can be loaded. That also explains why I keep playing unranked games against liverpool with Adebayor and created players in the team.

Indeed, that is the downside for unranked games but to be fair I haven't come across it that much, if at all. And if I do, and I lose, then I'll learn from them and let them have the hollow victory and the next ganme will feel easier. And if I win, well, victory tastes all the more sweeter.

Thought you would be able to use your custom tactics in ranked though? Can you use your custom set pieces? (Haven't bothered with them yet)

I didnt think you could use custom tactics in online games either - there is no option in the game menus - can anyone clear this up for deffo?

Apparently according to snatch, if you set up the formation and custom tactics for a club offline then these changes will be done online in unranked games. So you dont need to change it again. However in ranked they wont be loaded. You can copy your formation to any team when playing online, but the online custom tactics would only be changed for the team you edited offline....I think.

I quite like Athletico Madrid, will try and edit the custom tactics for them when I get back from Spanish Classes.

Played a few unranked games again last night - I think I prefer it - changing the custom tactics really adds an extra dimension to the game. I played Liverpool last night and went 2-0 down at half time - in the second half I brought on DiSanto and switched to my second custom tactics and I came back to lead 4-2 (at which point he quit).

Shame you can't do it in all game types - I can understand you not being able to change formations/players but custom tactics is a really cool part of the game - it's almost like EA are acknowledging it's flawed/cheating by not allowing it in ranked games woudln't you agree? It was enabled in Ultimate Team after all?

Taken from their site for the benefit of those who can't follow the link:

EA Sports has told Eurogamer that a large number of the problems reported with FIFA 10 on the official forums have been addressed or will be addressed by a new patch, which should be out this week.

"We have already created one patch based on gameplay feedback after the demo went live, and we are now creating another one that will go out this week (fingers crossed), in order to give our gamers the best possible experience," a spokesperson for EA Canada told Eurogamer overnight.

We asked whether issues with Game Face, Live Seasons, Club Mode and disconnections were connected, and whether there was any progress sorting them out.

On Game Face and Live Seasons, we were referred to EA's public posts on the subject, which include advice on Game Face usability and a workaround for people experiencing problems with Live Seasons 2.0.

For Club Mode, we were told that problems were "to do with stat-tracking and should be fixed as a result of server-side fixes and some updates in [the new patch] that is going out shortly".

Disconnections, meanwhile, are "a PS3-only issue - caused by us using PSN 'Rich Presence' - so if you had lots of friends all playing FIFA at the same time it overloaded PSN code. Fixed in Patch 2, and by reducing friends lists [in the meantime]."

Manager Mode has also been a bone of contention, with many users reporting bugs, such as the AI flogging your players without asking. Whoops. EA told Eurogamer it's "addressing a number of these issues in the next update due any day soon. Notably AI selling your players without your permission, form, goalie assists, budgets and improvements to stability."

FIFA 10's general gameplay, however, will not be altered. "We're not intending to change any gameplay," he were told. "Our Metacritic reflects that part of the game more than any and we're very happy with the quality of the on the pitch action - and the overwhelming positive feedback from our fans."

But we weren't done there. Did you know some of the kits are incorrect? Some gentlemen on the EA forums noticed.

"Every year we do our best to be 100 per cent accurate," EA replied. "That said, we are dependent on our partners at leagues and clubs providing us with the reference. It's usual that we get these for the vast majority of our clubs, but for some we do not - and they will have errors or omissions.

"Indeed, sometimes the clubs change their minds [when we've already started] building the kits! That said - all our kits etc. are approved by the manufacturers, clubs and leagues - but with a game the size of FIFA there will always be a small number of disappointed kit aficionados."

Finally, we asked what the team actually did when it was faced with problems around a game launch. Surely everyone's off on the beach by then?

Apparently not. "It's the same every year - we don't have a moment to bask in the glory of a great game," came the response. "We've had the entire team mobilised to look into nearly every real and imaginary issue that's been reported - and this has been a 24/7 effort.

"We've improved some things that we thought needed to be improved, and will evaluate other reports as they come in. As I say - we're continuing to monitor, and our second update is proof that we've not 'fired and forgotten' about the game.

"We want to make sure people are not just going to enjoy FIFA for a few days, but continue to enjoy it for the next year at least."

Ive been doing better since I worked out how to load my custom tactics into an online game. Also made a couple of formations.

Anyone on here got a decent formation?

The constant high pressure and strength of defenders is still annoying me though. People that play super high pressure should be punished by having fatigued players for the 2nd half which are slower and less able to play the high pressure game. That what its like in real life after all. Its too unrealistic at the moment.

Ive been doing better since I worked out how to load my custom tactics into an online game. Also made a couple of formations.

Anyone on here got a decent formation?

The constant high pressure and strength of defenders is still annoying me though. People that play super high pressure should be punished by having fatigued players for the 2nd half which are slower and less able to play the high pressure game. That what its like in real life after all. Its too unrealistic at the moment.

i like to play the 41212, or a 42211 if im struggling in defence.

the patch is up now. 34mb

Im a fair bit better at fifa 10 now. My defending has improved dramatically. Still struggle to score against high pressure opponents though, my forward just gets shunted off the ball from behind as soon as you play it into his feet. Wish I could make my striker come and meet the ball rather than the defender just running through the back of him.

PLayed against a mexican guy the other day who played with a 4 star mexican team but was class on the counter attack. I shamelesly nicked his formation. Quite promising so far with alot of movement off the ball. Need to tweak the tactics abit though.

Im a fair bit better at fifa 10 now. My defending has improved dramatically. Still struggle to score against high pressure opponents though, my forward just gets shunted off the ball from behind as soon as you play it into his feet. Wish I could make my striker come and meet the ball rather than the defender just running through the back of him.

PLayed against a mexican guy the other day who played with a 4 star mexican team but was class on the counter attack. I shamelesly nicked his formation. Quite promising so far with alot of movement off the ball. Need to tweak the tactics abit though.

I assume you make use of the "shield" button (RT on the 360) when passing the ball forward to your striker. If the team are on high pressure defenders often beat you to the ball - the way to combat this is as soon as you pass the ball use the press button for your striker to move in. Setting the passing style to shorter I find also helps as the strikers move in to recieve the ball rather than just stand there.

I use two custom formations at the mo. My default one is short passing, high pressure, high passing and shooting for chance creation (low crossing) and narrow width so I play through the middle. If it's not working I quickly switch it to custom formation 2 - long passing, VERY wide team width and high crossing and shooting for chance creation.

I usually find if one doesn't work the other does depending on who I'm playing. The long passing and wide width tends to work better on the players that just seem to press you out of the game.

Like yourself though, I still get myself hammered now and again, but I'm improving a bit.

Archived