BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-season

I hesitate to challenge you, seeing as you saw the game but, I would say that I don't agree with your general conclusion on Judge. He proved that he can handle the physicality of the Championship - which is arguably more bruising on the body than the Premier League. He has fair pace, an eye for a pass and a good work ethic. I don't see why he can't succeed, at least in a squad player role. Physically, he is not far off David Thompson and he has a similar level of tenacity.

If you watch the Blyth match again (if anyone could bear it) you'll see that Judge, whilst not outstanding, was one of the few Rovers players who was consistently finding a team-mate and looking confident on the ball. And he played a wonderful through pass that Derbyshire air-volleyed. I hope Allardyce perseveres with him and sees what he can really do.

On the other hand, I would agree with your "odds against" Treacy succeeding conclusion. He has little vision. You call him "strong" - he must have been working out because last season he was gobbled up by opposition players (once they realised that all he could do was push the ball down the line and run).

I'm not going to disagree with anything you say here - I think everyone likes Judge and wishes that every player had his mentality. I guess all his life he's had to prove himself -- he's knows what to do and how to do it -- he's just a yard short -- in jumping, in running and its obvious why that is. I hear he did well at Plymouth last year -- as you say he may fill a squad role for a couple of years. I don't want to appear overly harsh but he could help us stand still.

Treacy, basically I was surprised, I think it was the first time I've seen him in flesh and he was much taller, stronger - looking than I'd seen on box.

As you say though needs to improve his decision-making.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
Poppycock. Gally is as good as Andrews, Grella, Olsson or Gamst...

As good at what?

This is one we wont ever agree on it seems, if we were a mid table championship club I still wouldn't be thrilled to have him in the team

Two great reviews there. Am a tad suprised Gunning didn't do so well. Always looked solid in the reserves. Why don't you think he'll make it?

Glad to hear that N'Zonzi seems like quite a find, especially if Grella promises to be as inconsistent as last season.

Two great reviews there. Am a tad suprised Gunning didn't do so well. Always looked solid in the reserves. Why don't you think he'll make it?

Glad to hear that N'Zonzi seems like quite a find, especially if Grella promises to be as inconsistent as last season.

First time I've seen Gunning - he's very young isn't he?? 18 / 19 ?

He played Left- back and it didn't seem a natural position.

Physically he's good. Tall though not obviously strong. Decent pace with better acceleration and his positioning will improve with age. -- That's the key really-- at 18 he can beef up to play centre half -- if he's 22 then he's got a lot to do.

He doesn't have enough pace / agility to make it as a full back in the premier league.

Technically his distribution was always off the back foot - a bit wayward and didn't drive us forward.

Poppycock. Gally is as good as Andrews, Grella, Olsson or Gamst...

:lol: Another comedian - Gallagher was good when he was young, for his age he looked a real talent, however he has stayed at that level and not progressed into the player he looked like he would.

First time I've seen Gunning - he's very young isn't he?? 18 / 19 ?

He played Left- back and it didn't seem a natural position.

Physically he's good. Tall though not obviously strong. Decent pace with better acceleration and his positioning will improve with age. -- That's the key really-- at 18 he can beef up to play centre half -- if he's 22 then he's got a lot to do.

He doesn't have enough pace / agility to make it as a full back in the premier league.

Technically his distribution was always off the back foot - a bit wayward and didn't drive us forward.

Gunning's a central defender so was playing out of position last night.

I saw him playing in his favored position for the reserves against Middlesbrough at the end of last season and he looked three times the player he did last night.

I guess Sam wanted to give him a run out and that meant playing out of position.

I think he could be a cracking centre half given time.

I liked it too on the players. I bought the top myself when it first went on sale, but i wasn't sure whether it looked right with the red shorts and socks. Watching last night i think it looks really nice. :D

Matter of opinion because I thought it looked awful and my husband thought for a momnet that that was cambridge and we were the others. Hate those red shorts more than anything.

Gunning's a central defender so was playing out of position last night.

I saw him playing in his favored position for the reserves against Middlesbrough at the end of last season and he looked three times the player he did last night.

I guess Sam wanted to give him a run out and that meant playing out of position.

I think he could be a cracking centre half given time.

Thanks Earlydoors. Definately out of position, shame really, as I wonder whether he could be a squad reserve cb. (Prob needs a season out on loan first). Glad Sam didn't overlook him though.

Muddboy was at the same game and thought, this guy is very promising. Normally at cb his distribution and technique is good, although he has Zurab playing next to him which must make things easier, as Zurab's head and shoulders above reserve level.

I like the kit, but anything that makes the players stand out is good for me. I was watching some match on tv the other night where one team wore hoops and the other stripes, it all merged together after a while! I hate those dirgy black/grey kits some wear and whilst I do like last year's away kit it wasn't always easy to see.

Lee Grooby has somehow managed to post on the official board that he broke his lap top and is now having connectivity problems so minute by minute and SMS updates from Bolzano are unlikely this evening.

Anyone over there for the game?

The shirt is okay, after i initially didnt like it. The shorts should have been white, with a red stripe down the side. Socks white as well, with a red stripe across the top part of the sock.

Or the shorts remains red, but with white socks. Like i said in the kit thread, it just looks as if we forgot our red shirt, and scrambled to use the white one.

Lee Grooby has somehow managed to post on the official board that he broke his lap top and is now having connectivity problems so minute by minute and SMS updates from Bolzano are unlikely this evening.

God you give the man one job to do and he messes it up! Get down to PC World Bolzano branch and get a new laptop.

Anyone over there for the game?

Typical.

This may sound simple but..........Could he not use a "Telephone" and use this said Telephone to contact a "Friend" or collegue who could post the information for him.

Surely there must be someone else at Rovers who can access the site for him?

Maybe I've missed some obvious technical reason.

Should be good to see how do tonight - hope Van Herden plays

Apparently there is massive Italian interest in the game due to Vieri being with us

RIML - il be going Leeds, not got my ticket yet but il be going for the day and staying over in Leeds, and probably on the lash at night in Leeds

Archived