BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Zidane was that good, why did he stay at Bordeaux until he was 24? If Cantona was that good, why did no-one try to take him from France until he was 25? If Maradona was that good why did he play in that Mickey Mouse Argentinean league?

Please answer the above questions Nicko.

I'm sure that you will not, as you know that your point (i.e. "why has no-one else tried to buy Pogrebnyak") makes no sense.

We need to sign players with a bigger re-sale valuye, its as simple as that!!

Get scouting Europe Sam & the team, forget FAT KEVIN DAVIES!!! Yes he is a good player, but not if we are paying 5m+.

we've been scouting europe for the past few months, best we've found is Davies.

we have players with big re-sale value already; Warnock, Samba, Givet, Robinson even Keith Andrews.

It's not the end of the world if we sign Big Kev D...think people are starting to become a little dramatic

we've been scouting europe for the past few months, best we've found is Davies.

we have players with big re-sale value already; Warnock, Samba, Givet, Robinson even Keith Andrews.

It's not the end of the world if we sign Big Kev D...think people are starting to become a little dramatic

IT IS FOR 5 MILLION THOUGH!!

Guest benmaxwell

I'm going to say this once and once only.

If we cannot replace Roque with a player for cash, then i would rather we loaned Di Santo and one other (loan that is). Zigic with a view?

If we can't find anyone better then Davies for a better fee. I would rather we stuck with what we have got, and invest in our midfield. Play Diouf upfront if need be.

If there is nobody better then Davies. Spend the money on other positions.

Please answer the above questions Nicko.

I'm sure that you will not, as you know your point (i.e. "why has no-one else tried to buy him") makes no sense.

Zidane stayed at Bordeaux until he was 24 [just] because clubs looked at him and were turned down by a very wealthy Bordeaux club at the time. He began his final season taking them to the UEFA Cup final from the Inter Toto - and stayed there with his wee mate Lizarazu and the bigger Dugarry. All three moved on eventually, plenty tried to buy them before they left.

Rovers, among others, tried for him and were rebuffed although in your case that was down to an internal disagreement. You wouldn't have got him anyway.

So there was a queue round the block for the big chap. A queue that has not really been in evidence with the Poggy fella.

Cantona was a nut job in France. The only club that touched him was Sheffield Wednesday at first...

When did I say the Argentinian league was Mickey Mouse?

Ok, in your premier league experience, please let this messageboard know how you would illiminate Davies threat as a target man, please post CCs to messrs Ferguson, Benetez, Wenger, Ancilleti, Moyes O'Niel ect.

I would stop Davies the way most teams do - by blocking his runs during set pieces, and letting him foul you.

You actually believe that teams put two markers on Kevin Davies? :lol:

(By the way - it's "eliminate".)

I'd rather Martins to Davies, but I'd still have big problems with the doubts over his age. Still, a much better player and he has the pace that we so desperately need.

We need pace.

We need a goalscorer.

I would stop Davies the way most teams do - by blocking his runs during set pieces, and letting him foul you.

Davies's 11 Premier Leauge goals came against Stoke, Fulham, Arsenal, West Ham, Aston Villa, Rovers, Tottenham [twice], West Ham again, Fulham again and Middlesbrough.

Must have been some right bad defending.

I'd rather Martins to Davies, but I'd still have big problems with the doubts over his age. Still, a much better player and he has the pace that we so desperately need.

We need pace.

We need a goalscorer.

Ask Alan Shearer about Martins and the part he played in their survival struggle. You never knew if he would turn up for the game never mind score.

Come on, man, get a grip.

I'm going to say this once and once only.

If we cannot replace Roque with a player for cash, then i would rather we loaned Di Santo and one other (loan that is). Zigic with a view?

If we can't find anyone better then Davies for a better fee. I would rather we stuck with what we have got, and invest in our midfield. Play Diouf upfront if need be.

If there is nobody better then Davies. Spend the money on other positions.

bet you repeat yourself again and again ;)

Still no answer to the question of Premier League strikers still starting regularly at the age of 33/34/35... <_<

No relevance. I don't do stats and percentages. I leave that to the actuarists.

Bolton, as you will perhaps know, felt he was good enough to give him a lengthy contract less than a year ago.

Funny that. His current employers and his ex-boss both think he is going to last that long.

I might just take their word on that one as they work and have worked with the geezer over the past few seasons.

Rovers, among others, tried for [Zidane] and were rebuffed although in your case that was down to an internal disagreement. You wouldn't have got him anyway.

So there was a queue round the block for the big chap. A queue that has not really been in evidence with the Poggy fella.

Cantona was a nut job in France. The only club that touched him was Sheffield Wednesday at first...

When did I say the Argentinian league was Mickey Mouse?

Genuine thanks for a proper reply Nicko.

Pogrebnyak has been linked with Bayern Munich, Everton, Bolton and Arsenal (including last month in The Mirror no less, amongst other sources). Pogrebnyak also plays for a very wealthy club. How do you know for certain that other teams haven't tried to buy him?

Regardless, it's a moot point. Just because the top sides in Europe haven't openly stated their desire to sign the player, it doesn't mean we shouldn't.

I can't believe this is even a discussion - the guy is SEVEN YEARS younger than Davies, has won medals, has European and international experience, and will be significantly cheaper.

[in answer to your question - you intimated in an earlier reply that players from the Argentinian league couldn't cope in the Premier League as it is "too quick for them". This was put forward as a reason we should avoid looking at players like the sought-after Radamel Falcao Garcia at River Plate.]

(By the way - it's "eliminate".)

Can my team play your team, we'd have a field day and most teams dont stop him, thats the issue!!

Thats why teams play one on and one dropping off and it still doesnt work.

I am speaking from experience :D

Genuine thanks for a proper reply Nicko.

Pogrebnyak has been linked with Bayern Munich, Everton, Bolton and Arsenal (including last month in The Mirror no less, amongst other sources). Pogrebnyak also plays for a very wealthy club. How do you know for certain that other teams haven't tried to buy him?

Regardless, it's a moot point. Just because the top sides in Europe haven't openly stated their desire to sign the player, it doesn't mean we shouldn't.

I can't believe this is even a discussion - the guy is SEVEN YEARS younger than Davies, has won medals, has European and international experience, and will be significantly cheaper.

[in answer to your question - you intimated in an earlier reply that players from the Argentinian league couldn't cope in the Premier League as it is "too quick for them". This was put forward as a reason we should avoid looking at players like the sought-after Radamel Falcao Garcia at River Plate.]

Bolton were after the Russian, asked his former team-mate Puygrenier about him and were told [a] he was a big-timer who wouldn't go there and was not that good anyway.

If the other clubs seriously wanted him he would have been gone by now...his contract is running out, the Russians would have traded.

And I did NOT say the Argentinian League was slow. It is a very physical competition, but the overall intensity of the Premier League leaves every other league behind. I don't have a view on Falcao. I know Spurs wanted him a year ago but moved on and signed someone else. A year on, he's still there.

Archived