BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

Guest benmaxwell

Jesus Christ, i just gone through the complete list of strikers Sam has purchased during his management career, and the over-riding thing that hits me is, the guy doesnt know how to buy a half decent striker. All the strikers he goes for are in the 29-33 bracket.

The one exception, his only good striker signing in the whole of his management career is Nicolas Anelka. All the rest have been virtual garbage!

All the center forwards bar Anelka have never gone on to score many goals, a record that does not bode well for Davies.

If i have learned anything going through the list is, Sam really needs to resist the urge to sign a past it player and spend some half decent money on a player of Anelkas age (when he signed 27).

Don't believe me? Check for yourself. Pay special attention to their ages and transfer fees paid:

99-07: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/verein/3...uebersicht.html

07-08: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/verein/7...uebersicht.html

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BUT YOU DON'T REALLY WANT BENNI AND ROBERRTS TO BE YOUR STRIKERS SURELY.

Not exclusively those two, no! But those two plus 2 who aren't "proven" in the premier league as of today would be good enough with Diouf as an experienced backup if needed. Benni and Roberts have proven that they'll come up with goals when played together for a run of games. And that is without any delivery from the midfield, pretty much.

THE REAL SCOUTS HAVE FOUND IT HARD...THE ARMCHAIR EXPERTS ARE TOILING TOO.

It all boils down to how much Sam gets to spend in fee's and wages and what players are interested in coming here. I have no clue, I'm just going off history. There have always been alternatives. Logic has it that there will still be alternatives. Getting a target man like Davies isn't the only option either, that might be what Sam is after but there are different kinds of strikers who might be available. Ricardo Oliveira got relegated with Betis, might be available if the money is right. Just flinging a name in as an example, he might not want to leave or might ask for too much.

WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT THE MOVE MAKES SENSE...I DON'T AGREE WITH ALL THAT SAM DOES, BUT I THINK THIS IS A SOUND CALL...EVERTON DON'T SIGN UNTRIED STRIKERS EITHER [JO AND SAHA BEING THE LATEST]...AND WIGAN HAVE DONE WELL BUT IRONICALLY NOT WITH CENTRAL STRIKERS - ZAKI FLOPPED IN THE END, MIDO WAS GARBAGE AND RODALLEGA IS PROMISING BUT ERRATIC - THEIR STAR SIGNINGS WERE MIDFIELDERS.

I don't see why the logic should be different for different positions. Strikers might be a little bit more expensive but we just sold two for a decent amount so...

And no, Everton haven't signed untried strikers but they would never pay a hefty fee for an old player. They seem to have a very good and healthy transfer policy along with Wigan, which is my point. Jo was on loan, Saha on a pay-as-you-play deal. And crap as Mido and Zaki might've been, Wigan still finished safely mid table with their transfer policy - am I not right? Just because we were involved in a relegation fight doesn't mean our squad is crap. It had a lot of factors, the main ones being Ince and injuries.

And yes the move might make sense short term. That's just it though. Short term. While it is most important that we're thinking short term, I think it's dangerous for us to limit ourselves economically long term by signing expensive old players. As you pointed out yourself, in a few years our entire team won't have any sell on value. Surely it would make even more sense to buy a long term signing now then - since we already have the experience in the team to, at least in my opinion, handle the short term situation? My two cents anyway.

I need to point out though that in the end, I am fully behind Sam. I wanted Sam last summer and I will probably want Sam next summer unless something horrible happens (touch wood) but that doesn't really feel possible under Sam for me. Sam is as safe as we're ever going to get when it comes to a manager I think. Unless he gets offered the England job! ;)

Forget the Kevin Davies mark I at Ewood.

Why is it that as soon as we were linked to him a few days ago the Bolton fans were up in arms and spitting blood at us?

They value him highly and would be gutted to lose him. He is one of their best and most consistent players.

I wouldn't mind him coming to us. He is a strong target man who holds the ball up well. He's a team player and scores a few good goals.

I don't dispute any of that but at 33 (just about) how long can he keep doing it? Its the fee that concerns most people, looks like a big waste of money we can't afford.

Has Dean Ashton been mentioned as a good "alternative" to Kevin Davies? Might cost a few million more, and been unlucky with injuries - but still...

Stoke are linked with him. Don't know if West Ham would be willing to sell.

You must be aware that Eddie couldn't spot a footballer if he fell over one...... French or English!

That's funny, because my employers clearly think something different.

Just been thinking!

When Eddie and others say we should be signing promising youngsters who will bring a decent sell on value and there must be plenty of these players around, does he mean Like this guy?

Kinda blows the whole discussion apart, doesn't it?

:lol: Sorry Eddie!

This the same Villanueva who just moved for a couple million after sitting in our reserves for a year? Clearly no resale value...

This the same Villanueva who just moved for a couple million after sitting in our reserves for a year? Clearly no resale value...

We'd agreed £5 million with the club so if we had purchased at the time (as you suggested) we would be looking at a loss of a couple of million in under a year, we cannot afford to make losses like that.

What are the values in 2012 of this lot? Robinson, Samba, Nelsen, Warnock, Pedersen, McCarthy and Roberts? This is the core of your team.

Not ONE of them will have a value in 2012 because [a] they will be too old or they will have already gone.

Robinson will still have a value, as keepers don't normally peak until 30s. As will Samba who is pretty young.

The rest won't, which even more enforces the fact that the players we should be looking at are players who will have resale potential and value. Where is the point in adding to the list above? Also giving Bolton £5m+ to invest in their team, which I bet they wouldn't spend it on a 32, almost 33, year old striker.

Jesus Christ, i just gone through the complete list of strikers Sam has purchased during his management career, and the over-riding thing that hits me is, the guy doesnt know how to buy a half decent striker. All the strikers he goes for are in the 29-33 bracket.

The one exception, his only good striker signing in the whole of his management career is Nicolas Anelka. All the rest have been virtual garbage!

All the center forwards bar Anelka have never gone on to score many goals, a record that does not bode well for Davies.

If i have learned anything going through the list is, Sam really needs to resist the urge to sign a past it player and spend some half decent money on a player of Anelkas age (when he signed 27).

Don't believe me? Check for yourself. Pay special attention to their ages and transfer fees paid:

I see where you are going but there were successes.

Anelka (you have mentioned)

Davies- resounding success- free transfer

Ricketts- signed for £500K, played for England and sold for £3million- utter garbage?

Diouf- garbage? £2 million cost

You also have to remember that he played with ONE up front with Bolton (Davies) and as such the requirement is on one striker, now when that striker rarely misses a game, I would suggest to you that the need to purchase lots of strikers is pointless. He already had Owen, Martins and co at Newcastle and bought Viduka (an excellent target man when fit) on a free transfer. So I dont understand, most of the players he bought were either frees or cost very little money, this strategy is high risk and chances of duds is high (he bought Jansen, Bridges, etc based on prior potential- cost minimal)

But yet his low budget teams regularly finish in the top 10 so somebody's scoring the goals Ben. Does it matter to you who or do you really need a Roy of the Rovers figure to idolise and pin up on your bedroom wall? :rolleyes:

Robinson will still have a value, as keepers don't normally peak until 30s. As will Samba who is pretty young.

C'mon modes you should know better than that. Any residual value that we can benefit from can only be made on the assumption that they do not let their contracts run down. Once that's happened they have no value to us whatsoever.

(nicko @ Jun 23 2009, 23:00 )

I think Sam is the man who wants Davies. I am pretty sure others do not share his enthusiasm.

Possibly also because in the last set of accounts - Williams stated that Rovers need to go down the road of finding good young players with potential.

But yet his low budget teams regularly finish in the top 10 so somebody's scoring the goals Ben. Does it matter to you who or do you really need a Roy of the Rovers figure to idolise and pin up on your bedroom wall? :rolleyes:

To some extent people do need a hero though. It doesn't have to be a big player from elsewhere - it just needs to be someone who excites your fans. Perhaps we shouldn't as football's a team game but nevertheless most people do.

Picking players now is a real problem, I get scouts asking me about players, you recommend them, response is, too old at 17 or have you not got any players who are big, strong and black, my reply is yes but I wouldnt recommend them to you,

The response is, dont worry about that, we'll sort the player out!!!

What are clubs looking for these days!??

Suppose it depends on the scouts brief as to what he should be looking for!!

i was so hoping Big Sam would turn out different after being wasted at newcastle for his anti football, and praise him for keeping us afloat. But............. Its Bolton MK2 now

For a moment i was thinking" He is going to be different! look at the players we are linked to now!" and then...... come Davies crashing down like an armagedon. Kevin davies as top man to bring in, goes to show how things would be played next season.........

No offense, but i will only be interested in the scoreline to make sure we are still in the league next season, but would not bother watching the match, because its going to be ugly and boring.

And just how are we going to attract more fans ??

God! please tell me we would not be Bolton MK2 .......... Please.............

Picking players now is a real problem, I get scouts asking me about players, you recommend them, response is, too old at 17 or have you not got any players who are big, strong and black, my reply is yes but I wouldnt recommend them to you,

And here in lies the issue, why oh why do they not realise that Physhical attributes can be developed in kids far more significantly than I could ever do in a fully developed adult. Do they really think that genetically we are that different from our african brothers??? Lifestyle and sociology (dirty word) have a big part to play in development.

There's only one aspect that counts in kids mental, the rest will come as long as they are good learners and show strong mental traits. Wenger says it the most important aspect to consider as the rest can be developed providing they have the mental apptitude. But we go running round after height and speed constantly. Bizarre I can pass a ball far quicker than you can run!!!!

You're not going to be Bolton MK2. You're not that good. (Hope that helps.)

;)

Leaving aside the fact that Kevin Davies was the laziest player ever to take a salary at Ewood, admitting that he has been successful at Bolton, ignoring the fact that £ 5 million plus is way over the top for a player nearing the end of his career, how can anyone on this messageboard think that this would be a forward looking move by Rovers ? Beats me.

Leaving aside the fact that Kevin Davies was the laziest player ever to take a salary at Ewood, admitting that he has been successful at Bolton, ignoring the fact that £ 5 million plus is way over the top for a player nearing the end of his career, how can anyone on this messageboard think that this would be a forward looking move by Rovers ? Beats me.

I think he's been priced out -thank goodness. He's really no better than Samba.

I hope that you point out that constitutes blatant racism.

i was so hoping Big Sam would turn out different after being wasted at newcastle for his anti football, and praise him for keeping us afloat. But............. Its Bolton MK2 now

For a moment i was thinking" He is going to be different! look at the players we are linked to now!" and then...... come Davies crashing down like an armagedon. Kevin davies as top man to bring in, goes to show how things would be played next season.........

No offense, but i will only be interested in the scoreline to make sure we are still in the league next season, but would not bother watching the match, because its going to be ugly and boring.

And just how are we going to attract more fans ??

If you are in Singapore permanently and are not contributing very much to the club's income then your opinion doesn't count for much at Ewood does it?

You're not going to be Bolton MK2. You're not that good.

;)

Neither is Megson's recent attempts to be Bolton Mk2. :closedeyes:

Here's tonight's quiz.

Find a list of Premier League goalscorers from last season...

Look through the list of those who have scored 10 goals or more...

And say which ones could be within the price range of Rovers - and have an interest in playing for them.

This is the same Villanueva that you would have paid £4m for Eddie, after watching him on youtube, then to realise he isn't good enough.

Now what does that prove? It proves that all this crap about easily finding youngsters with a sell -on, value is garbage. You can't do it, try as you might to convince us that there are plenty of them out there. Even the coaches of they academy sides don't know if our own youngsters are good enough until they have had their opportunity in the first team.

So, let's not buy players that we know can do a decent job in the Prem eh, let's buy names from a list that no-one has a clue about. Maybe one of them might be sold at a profit. In the meanwhile we'll get relegated.

Here's tonight's quiz.

Find a list of Premier League goalscorers from last season...

Look through the list of those who have scored 10 goals or more...

And say which ones could be within the price range of Rovers - and have an interest in playing for them.

I take your challenge, but I add those with 8/9 goals as well, because that is what Kevin Davies have been scoring earlier years.

Darren Bent Tottenham 12

Ricardo Fuller Stoke 11

Jermain Defoe Tottenham* 11

Benny McCarthy Blackburn 10

Kevin Davies Bolton 10

Matthew Taylor Bolton 10

Amr Zaki Wigan 10

Peter Crouch Portsmouth 10

Djibril Cisse Sunderland 10

Kenwyne Jones Sunderland 10

Robbie Keane Tottenham* 10

Carlton Cole West Ham 10

Nilkas Bendtner Arsenal 9

Tim Cahill Everton 9

Stephen Ireland Manchester City 9

Chris Brunt West Bromwich 9

Geovanni Hull 8

Youssi Benayoun Liverpool 8

Michael Owen Newcastle 8

Obafemi Martins Newcastle 8

Craig Bellamy Manchester City* 8

I think we have the same chance of getting these ones as we have of getting Kevin D.

I would rather try going for: Kenwyne Jones, Chris Brunt,, Amr Zaki, Geovanni, Niklas Bendtner, Obafemi Martins, Bent or Defoe.

Archived