BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

If it was a rumour of a free transfer I wouldn't care too much, maybe he could pay back some of that 7.5m plus James Beattie back in 1998! But £5m - £6m for this?!

1993–1997 Chesterfield 129 (22)

1997–1998 Southampton 25 (9)

1998–1999 Blackburn Rovers 24 (1)

1999–2003 Southampton 82 (10)

2003 → Millwall (loan) 9 (3)

2003– Bolton Wanderers 210 (46)

Thats 479 games and only 91 goals. Seriously?! It's a joke right? £6m? Nahhhh no dice

a goal every 5-6 games wow top notch....bet derbs or gally would beat that over the course of a season.....IF THEY GOT A FAIR CRACK OF THE WHIP!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if anyone hs thought around this,whatever level of football you are involved with, as a manager, coach or whatever, we always say the same things, take one game at a time, in this instance, one season at a time, you simply cant (unless you are getting inyoung players to develop through the ranks as Arsenal do) look two years ahead, you look at the next season and see where it takes you.

Clubs in European competitions always have first shout at the better players, the players also cost much more and can be expensive both in fees and wages!!

Take next year first, we may be surprised and Kevin Davies could be the IDLE of Ewood!!

Matt played:

06-07- 22 games 5 goals

07-08- 23 games- 3 goals

08-09- 17 games 2 goals

Paul G

03-04 26 games- 3 goals

04-05- 16 games 2 goals

that is a fair crack at the whip and they did little else! Kevin Davies is an excellent target man and not only does he provide goals but he provides assists (as shown by someone earlier) and space for his teammates, this cannot be underestimated.

It's fairly obvious that he doesn't...because he knows the front line is no place for rookies. Di Santo is being lined up because he has talent, but he will need a senior partner to help him.

As I said, he's already got Benni and Roberts for experience. Our entire squad has experience, we can afford to bring in a younger player or two.

And we're not being paid to find said younger player, that's the scouts and Sam's job. That argument of yours is silly. There are tons of strikers out there, some cheaper than others, some more experienced than others. There are plenty of alternatives and plenty of promising strikers in lesser leagues who might or might not make the step up. But there's only one way to find out.

Yes, it will be a gamble... but read my last post on that matter. We can afford a gamble or two at the moment.

I'm not saying this is what Sam will do, because on that part you are way better informed... but you're acting like your way is the ONLY way, which is wrong. We went about it the other way around with Hughes and it worked a treat, and other teams in the league have done the same... Everton, Wigan etc.

Matt played:

06-07- 22 games 5 goals

07-08- 23 games- 3 goals

08-09- 17 games 2 goals

Paul G

03-04 26 games- 3 goals

04-05- 16 games 2 goals

that is a fair crack at the whip and they did little else! Kevin Davies is an excellent target man and not only does he provide goals but he provides assists (as shown by someone earlier) and space for his teammates, this cannot be underestimated.

Most of which were sub appearances though.

Matt played:

06-07- 22 games 5 goals

07-08- 23 games- 3 goals

08-09- 17 games 2 goals

that is a fair crack at the whip and he did little else! Kevin Davies is an excellent target man and not only does he provide goals but he provides assists (as shown by someone earlier) and space for his teammates, this cannot be underestimated.

how do you know he did little else ?? you never even goto to games ffs.

pray tell me then imy davies contribution last time he was a rover....but dont google or look at your vhs collection.

Gally has had many chances now at a lower level and hasn't set that league alight, why could he suddenly do it here?

he could do a better job than wasting 5m or however much for mr blobby.

Most of which were sub appearances though.

egg zact lee and out of flaming position.

how do you know he did little else ?? you never even goto to games ffs.

pray tell me then imy davies contribution last time he was a rover....but dont google or look at your vhs collection.

Guess what I used my eyes and watched the games online, does that not count? Was the game different?

What Davies did last time does not matter- he was 22 years old he is now 10 years older, surely you have seen a different player? Would you buy back Duff on the basis of what he did last time at Rovers, simple question?

Matt and Gallagher did very little at Rovers, their goal returns is dire, Matty in particular (who does little else for the team) has a pathetic record and yet you bleat on about Davies!

Guess what I used my eyes and watched the games online, does that not count? Was the game different?

What Davies did last time does not matter- he was 22 years old he is now 10 years older, surely you have seen a different player? Would you buy back Duff on the basis of what he did last time at Rovers, simple question?

Matt and Gallagher did very little at Rovers, their goal returns is dire, Matty in particular (who does little else for the team) has a pathetic record and yet you bleat on about Davies!

JEESUS H CHRIST FFS...LIKE HAS BEEN SAID HOW MANY GAMES WAS HE OUT OF POSITION? SUB ETC?

online is about a billion times different ,dont ne numb. I never profess to opinions if i have only seen a game online.You only see action areas online on tv you dont see off ball runs etc dont be thick.....ah well bedtime.

JEESUS H CHRIST FFS...LIKE HAS BEEN SAID HOW MANY GAMES WAS HE OUT OF POSITION? SUB ETC?

online is about a billion times different ,dont ne numb. I never profess to opinions if i have only seen a game online.You only see action areas online on tv you dont see off ball runs etc dont be thick.....ah well bedtime.

I stand corrected you know it all so out of interest can you enlighten the message board on the qualities of Matt Derbyshire? The same qualities that THREE ex managers chose to ignore (including the current one), it would also be nice to hear your opinion on why NO other premier league side or even championship side bothered to bid for him and he ended up in a poor league like the Greek one!

He may have been out of position in a number of the games but he has started as striker in a number of matches and did little to suggest he should start, that is the harsh reality.

Finally you cannot have an opinion on a game or a player if you have seen the match online? What utter tosh, I may not see it all but can gage enough of the game to form an opinion, but dont worry Ill ask for your permission next time before I have an opinion on such matters :rolleyes:

As I said, he's already got Benni and Roberts for experience. Our entire squad has experience, we can afford to bring in a younger player or two. BUT YOU DON'T REALLY WANT BENNI AND ROBERRTS TO BE YOUR STRIKERS SURELY.

And we're not being paid to find said younger player, that's the scouts and Sam's job. That argument of yours is silly. There are tons of strikers out there, some cheaper than others, some more experienced than others. There are plenty of alternatives and plenty of promising strikers in lesser leagues who might or might not make the step up. But there's only one way to find out. THE REAL SCOUTS HAVE FOUND IT HARD...THE ARMCHAIR EXPERTS ARE TOILING TOO.

Yes, it will be a gamble... but read my last post on that matter. We can afford a gamble or two at the moment.

I'm not saying this is what Sam will do, because on that part you are way better informed... but you're acting like your way is the ONLY way, which is wrong. We went about it the other way around with Hughes and it worked a treat, and other teams in the league have done the same... Everton, Wigan etc. WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT THE MOVE MAKES SENSE...I DON'T AGREE WITH ALL THAT SAM DOES, BUT I THINK THIS IS A SOUND CALL...EVERTON DON'T SIGN UNTRIED STRIKERS EITHER [JO AND SAHA BEING THE LATEST]...AND WIGAN HAVE DONE WELL BUT IRONICALLY NOT WITH CENTRAL STRIKERS - ZAKI FLOPPED IN THE END, MIDO WAS GARBAGE AND RODALLEGA IS PROMISING BUT ERRATIC - THEIR STAR SIGNINGS WERE MIDFIELDERS.

Guest benmaxwell
BUT YOU DON'T REALLY WANT BENNI AND ROBERRTS TO BE YOUR STRIKERS SURELY

Would rather have Benni and Roberts then Benni and Davies or Davies and Roberts...

Having said that, i still find the idea of not being able to find a good younger striker for £7ish million stupid!

I stuck a similar sentiment in the transfer thread but it seems applicable here too.

Owen must be a genuine contender to this find a player challenge. With 57 league games played over the past two years his injury troubles aren't as bad as some make out and 19 goals isn't a bad return either, especially playing in that Newcastle side!

If you take away Davies' last season as a statistical outlier (which is reasonable) then over the previous two years he played in 62 games and scored 11 goals (even looking at his last two seasons straight it's 14 in 70). Obviously both players bring other facets to a side but it has surprised me that he doesn't seem a terrible proposition.

Finally, assuming 35k per week and a five million transfer fee for Davies and 60k per week on a free for Owen... Owen is over a million pounds cheaper over three years.

I stuck a similar sentiment in the transfer thread but it seems applicable here too.

Owen must be a genuine contender to this find a player challenge. With 57 league games played over the past two years his injury troubles aren't as bad as some make out and 19 goals isn't a bad return either, especially playing in that Newcastle side!

If you take away Davies' last season as a statistical outlier (which is reasonable) then over the previous two years he played in 62 games and scored 11 goals (even looking at his last two seasons straight it's 14 in 70). Obviously both players bring other facets to a side but it has surprised me that he doesn't seem a terrible proposition.

Finally, assuming 35k per week and a five million transfer fee for Davies and 60k per week on a free for Owen... Owen is over a million pounds cheaper over three years.

Not the same kind of player though, sam wants the height and ball retention that davies offers, owen is a free role player tbh if owen was man marked througout the game he would be very quiet, where as no-one wants to mark davies.

Nicko when you suggested that the leak to the LET didnt come from sam do you mean that someone from the club wasnt overkeen on sams idea of signing davies and leaked it to the LET?

Not the same kind of player though, sam wants the height and ball retention that davies offers, owen is a free role player tbh if owen was man marked througout the game he would be very quiet, where as no-one wants to mark davies.

Nicko when you suggested that the leak to the LET didnt come from sam do you mean that someone from the club wasnt overkeen on sams idea of signing davies and leaked it to the LET?

I think Sam is the man who wants Davies. I am pretty sure others do not share his enthusiasm.

Forget the Kevin Davies mark I at Ewood.

Why is it that as soon as we were linked to him a few days ago the Bolton fans were up in arms and spitting blood at us?

They value him highly and would be gutted to lose him. He is one of their best and most consistent players.

I wouldn't mind him coming to us. He is a strong target man who holds the ball up well. He's a team player and scores a few good goals.

Forget the Kevin Davies mark I at Ewood.

Why is it that as soon as we were linked to him a few days ago the Bolton fans were up in arms and spitting blood at us?

They value him highly and would be gutted to lose him. He is one of their best and most consistent players.

I wouldn't mind him coming to us. He is a strong target man who holds the ball up well. He's a team player and scores a few good goals.

And with that...good night.

I think Sam is the man who wants Davies. I am pretty sure others do not share his enthusiasm.

Ahh ok cheers , does it seem normal that the LET is quashing rumours or future signings so fast? i have never seen the LET respond to gossip to quickly, they are usually like 3 days behind, or dont even bother to report on rumours, i find it strange to read it in the local rag so fast.

A player's value in three years is totally irrelevant. Bellamy, Roque and Bentley were all sold WITHIN three years...so where does that leave your thought process?

What are the values in 2012 of this lot? Robinson, Samba, Nelsen, Warnock, Pedersen, McCarthy and Roberts? This is the core of your team.

Not ONE of them will have a value in 2012 because [a] they will be too old or they will have already gone.

The 'three-year value' rule is in the Chocolate Teapot catalogue of irrelevancies.

None of these cost £6mil and none of them were nearly 33 when we signed them and if we sold the first four now we would make a profit on them and therefore would be able to replace them. You are still avoiding the issue. I would also strongly dispute that Davies will last three years. You are still avoiding the question.

Archived