BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

We need a goalscorer: which Davies is not.

At one point towards the end of last season (vs Chelsea away I think), our top league goalscorers were at right back and left back (KA, Stevie)

I think we should be going for someone who will score us goals, we have a 'work-horse' in Roberts.

If Davies plays who is going to get the goals? because he won't score more than 10.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's the reality. Three year's down the line? That will have to look after itself.

Where have you plucked three years from? Any 35 year old strikers regularly starting in the Premier League at the moment? Come to think of it...any 33/34 year olds?

We'd be bloody lucky if he was still good enough to be starting 18 months from now.

At one point towards the end of last season (vs Chelsea away I think), our top league goalscorers were at right back and left back (KA, Stevie)

I think we should be going for someone who will score us goals, we have a 'work-horse' in Roberts.

If Davies plays who is going to get the goals? because he won't score more than 10.

I agree.

People will say that's what we have Benni for, but if he goes back on the McDonald's diet he ain't going to play.

I think the reasoning behind it is that Davies will create room for everybody else, particularly Benni and Di Santo who may need an extra yard. His goals are just a bonus. Almost every team has two players marking Davies. That's one player of ours that isn't being marked.

Davies does not score tons of goals though. His season average is about 5-6 goals a season.

You keep going on about one season wonders. Davies had one season where he scored 11 goals, and you think we should fork out £6 plus million for him...

It just does not add up.

I would rather we signed a young striker who scores 6-10 goals, then a old striker who might score 6-10 goals. That's what it comes down too.

A) £1.3 million not £6 million plus!

B ) Unkle Jack was still alive so we still had money coming in!

I think every one knows quite clearly what your opinion is on the type of player and the fee we should spend, you've made your point, keep banging on about it is not going to change anything or Sam's mind on any of his targets.

Unless you have another agenda of course.

Can we at least put that one to bed.

I think the reasoning behind it is that Davies will create room for everybody else, particularly Benni and Di Santo who may need an extra yard. His goals are just a bonus. Almost every team has two players marking Davies. That's one player of ours that isn't being marked.

Where the hell are you getting this nonsense? If you think that's the level of tactical consideration which takes place in the Premier League you are sadly mistaken. You're talking about it like it's an Under-9s league.

This is truly a rubbish argument. If Zidane was that good, why did he stay at Bordeaux until he was 24? If Cantona was that good, why did no-one try to take him from France until he was 25? If Maradona was that good why did he play in that Mickey Mouse Argentinean league? I know you're not really dumb enough to consider this a valid argument Nicko; kindly do us a favour and stop using it as a stock reply.

REMIND ME, WHO HAS TRIED TO SIGN THE GUY...

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~!!!!! :lol:

NOT A STORY I WROTE, BUT VERIFIED BY A CONTACT WHO WORKS FOR CHELSEA...OR DO YOU KNOW DIFFERENT?

I gave you five. Want more?

FIVE WHAT? NAMES PLUCKED OUT OF THE ETHER...GIVE ME ONE THAT COULD ACTUALLY HAPPEN

There's a big difference between having "bottle" and acting like a pig-headed, arrogant tosser in the face of your own fan's vitriol. But we knew the kind of man Allardyce was when we allowed him to poison the club. I hope we can recover, but fear it won't be for a decade at least.

YOU DON'T LIKE HIM, DO YOU?

There are certainly better options for that price. No question about that whatsoever.

AND...

Fingers crossed Davies goes to Burnley (thanks for passing on that small bit of hope Nicko).

LOST FOR WORDS BY THIS POINT

It's a valid point from Al.

over the last 3 years we have been dependent on Bentley's, Cruz's and Bellamy's transfer money to bring in new players. Ie, sell-on...

If we spend that money on old replacements, and when it comes time to replace them, where will the money come from..? Or are we going to spend our future dependent on freebies and loans.

We don't have the luxury of fancy money from owners. We literally rely on selling players for a profit or decent fee. Something we wont get either of with Davies.

Stop moaning for christ sakes, you said on saturday that you wouldn't be posting about Davies again. PLease stay true to your word.

Plus we have other players we can sell for a profit like samba, van heerdan (sp?) and hopefully the canadian kid. So Davies' sell on price isn't THAT important

A) £1.3 million not £6 million plus!

B ) Unkle Jack was still alive so we still had money coming in!

Still a valid point - it's not just about profit from transfer fees, Davies' wage wouldn't be huge, his contribution would be. Each place finish in the Prem is £500,000 if I'm right? Relegation is a £40m hit (isn't it?) which would see us forced to disassemble the current playing squad and pay championship wages to championship players - who would secure our status as a championship club.

If Davies helps keep us up for the next 2-3 years that's plenty of time to find one or two Roques/Bellamys/Bentleys to bring home the next big money transfer, while Big Kev quietly does his thing.

imy9 - you did this relentless and often very strange defending of Ince last summer. I'm in no way comparing Allardyce to Ince, merely trying to point it out that it IS okay to disagree with what our manager is doing once in a while.

I defended Ince BEFORE a ball was kicked and stopped at the Portsmouth game (I think), it was not strange it was merely supporting the manager of Blackburn Rovers FC.

I think Kevin Davies is an excellent player in the role that he plays in, if we sign him for more than £5 million then I think the manager has made a wrong decision, but anything less and I would be quite happy, see I am trying :rover:

Like i said. I will bring up information when it's relevent. I just don't expect people to start talking about my job.

I mean you don't ask Nicko about the specifics of his job every day do you?

You have been on this board for what.. 2-3 months? I honestly dont think anyone gives a toss about your job.. give it a rest please.

On topic;

No Davies for me...

If Davies helps keep us up for the next 2-3 years that's plenty of time to find one or two Roques/Bellamys/Bentleys to bring home the next big money transfer, while Big Kev quietly does his thing.

Paid for with what money?!

Still waiting for someone to answer this pie-in-sky idea of three years quality service, everything points to Premier League strikers being finished as regular starters way before they hit 35.

Yep, it's obvious that most Rovers fans don't want to see Davies anywhere near Ewood park. What's also obvious is that no matter how much you don't like his style, or his committment when he was at Rovers, you can't argue that he wouldn't improve our squad.

Unfortunately getting him is going to cost 5 mill plus.... (if you believe what you read), which for a 32 year old bruiser (33 this year) is riddiculous.

This is the major stand up argument against this signing. We already have 2 good strikers who are both better than Davies on their day who are both over 30. Roberts and McCarthy have proven they are good enough, providing they stay fit and get a run together in the team. We've just sold a 27 year old and a 23 year old. It's not rocket science to see what age and style of striker we need to sign.

Spending big money on players with little or no sell on value has also never been Rovers' style. I can think of only Champions League winner and all time 2nd highest premierleague goalscorer Andy Cole as to a player we spent big money on who we knew, realistically we wouldn't get a return on (and how old was he? 29? 30?).

For a couple of million I could (begrudgingly) understand it. Other than that it just doesn't make sense.

This is truly a rubbish argument.

If Zidane was that good, why did he stay at Bordeaux until he was 24? If Cantona was that good, why did no-one try to take him from France until he was 25? If Maradona was that good why did he play in that Mickey Mouse Argentinean league?

I know you're not really dumb enough to consider this a valid argument Nicko; kindly do us a favour and stop using it as a stock reply.

THE RUSSIAN MADE HIS INTENTIONS TO LEAVE A YEAR AGO, WHY IS HE STILL THERE, HE IS FREE IN NOVEMBER SO THE QUESTION STILL STANDS WHY HAS NOBODY SIGNED THE GUY CONSIDERING AT LEAST 10 TEAMS IN THE PL ARE AFTER STRIKERS.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~!!!!! :lol:

I gave you five. Want more?

I THINK NICKO AND A DOZEN OTHER POSTERS HAVE GONE THROUGH THE LIST ALREADY, MAYBE READING THE POSTS RATHER THAN MASS POSTING WOULD HELP HERE.

There's a big difference between having "bottle" and acting like a pig-headed, arrogant tosser in the face of your own fan's vitriol. But we knew the kind of man Allardyce was when we allowed him to poison the club. I hope we can recover, but fear it won't be for a decade at least.

WE WOULD BE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP IF IT WAS NOT FOR SAM, THE EXPRESSION "WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE" SPRINGS TO MIND, WOULD YOU NOT AGREE THAT SAM HAS DONE A FANTASTIC JOB THUS FAR?

There are certainly better options for that price. No question about that whatsoever.

MAYBE YOU DID NOT READ THE PIECE WHERE JW STATED THAT HE WAS CUTTING OUR WAGE BILL, SO EVEN IF A PLAYER IS AVAILABLE AT SAY £6 MILLION WE ARE CERTAINLY NOT ABLE TO AFFORD ANYTHING MORE THAN £40K, CROUCH IS ON £75K, SAME AS BENT, ETC, UNREALISTIC.

Fingers crossed Davies goes to Burnley (thanks for passing on that small bit of hope Nicko).

Where the hell are you getting this nonsense? If you think that's the level of tactical consideration which takes place in the Premier League you are sadly mistaken. You're talking about it like it's an Under-9s league.

Ok, in your premier league experience, please let this messageboard know how you would illiminate Davies threat as a target man, please post CCs to messrs Ferguson, Benetez, Wenger, Ancilleti, Moyes O'Niel ect.

Paid for with what money?!

The Roque money... or the Warnock money... or the Samba money... or the van Heerden money... or the Robinson money...

Players come and go. By and large Rovers do OK in the transfer market. We don't know what will happen over the next 3 years or so but Allardyce has a pretty good record of bringing in older players (Djorkaeff, Campo) and getting excellent value for them. So what if he wants to spend as little as a third of the Roque money on one player? He's his number one target and we should back him given the miracle he worked undoing Ince's mess last season.

Archived