BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

I thought Davies had 11...which would leave only Bent [£10-12 million plus £60-70,000-a-week wages] above him...by one goal...and a whole lot less appearances, contributing to the cause.

Where are you getting this from?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought Davies had 11...which would leave only Bent [£10-12 million plus £60-70,000-a-week wages] above him...by one goal...and a whole lot less appearances, contributing to the cause.

What about the others?

Davies doesn't impress me with his goal scoring record!

I take your challenge, but I add those with 8/9 goals as well, because that is what Kevin Davies have been scoring earlier years.

Darren Bent Tottenham 12

Ricardo Fuller Stoke 11

Jermain Defoe Tottenham* 11

Benny McCarthy Blackburn 10

Kevin Davies Bolton 10

Matthew Taylor Bolton 10

Amr Zaki Wigan 10

Peter Crouch Portsmouth 10

Djibril Cisse Sunderland 10

Kenwyne Jones Sunderland 10

Robbie Keane Tottenham* 10

Carlton Cole West Ham 10

Nilkas Bendtner Arsenal 9

Tim Cahill Everton 9

Stephen Ireland Manchester City 9

Chris Brunt West Bromwich 9

Geovanni Hull 8

Youssi Benayoun Liverpool 8

Michael Owen Newcastle 8

Obafemi Martins Newcastle 8

Craig Bellamy Manchester City* 8

I think we have the same chance of getting these ones as we have of getting Kevin D.

I would rather try going for: Kenwyne Jones, Chris Brunt,, Amr Zaki, Geovanni, Niklas Bendtner, Obafemi Martins, Bent or Defoe.

Doubt we could afford Jones but he'd be a good choice I think. Brunt - are you having a laugh?. Geovanni and Zaki would make Benni look totally committed - avoid unless desperate. Bendtner - are you having a laugh (for a different reason)?. Martins would be good. Bent - can't afford. Defoe - see Bendtner - more chance of Gordon Brown admitting something is his fault that getting either of these two at Rovers.

This is the same Villanueva that you would have paid £4m for Eddie, after watching him on youtube, then to realise he isn't good enough.

Now what does that prove? It proves that all this crap about easily finding youngsters with a sell -on, value is garbage. You can't do it, try as you might to convince us that there are plenty of them out there. Even the coaches of they academy sides don't know if our own youngsters are good enough until they have had their opportunity in the first team.

So, let's not buy players that we know can do a decent job in the Prem eh, let's buy names from a list that no-one has a clue about. Maybe one of them might be sold at a profit. In the meanwhile we'll get relegated.

And likewise, a lad can be released and be a late developer! I see this all the time and even lads who have never been to league clubs who I feel sure with the opportunity have got that little bit of what it takes, the line is so narrow!!

With a young lad, for example, Garner, Gallagher, Fielding, Nolan, Walters, Richards, Burgess, Derbyshire, Bruce, Douglas, etc all ex Rovers plying their trade in the Championship and doing fine, just a whisker away from being good in the Prem!!

Its very tight, maybe if we concentrated with the Academy a bit more, some of these lads may just make it!!

And likewise, a lad can be released and be a late developer! I see this all the time and even lads who have never been to league clubs who I feel sure with the opportunity have got that little bit of what it takes, the line is so narrow!!

With a young lad, for example, Garner, Gallagher, Fielding, Nolan, Walters, Richards, Burgess, Derbyshire, Bruce, Douglas, etc all ex Rovers plying their trade in the Championship and doing fine, just a whisker away from being good in the Prem!!

Its very tight, maybe if we concentrated with the Academy a bit more, some of these lads may just make it!!

Well yes they can develop late, but those lads you list are nowhere near Prem players.

Here's tonight's quiz.

Find a list of Premier League goalscorers from last season...

Look through the list of those who have scored 10 goals or more...

And say which ones could be within the price range of Rovers - and have an interest in playing for them.

OK Nicko, you win, Davies hands down!!

Now tell Sam and he' slip you the £100 when he's back tomorrow :lol:

But no giving it to Owen to sign Tyrone Mears!!! ^_^

OK Nicko, you win, Davies hands down!!

Now tell Sam and he' slip you the £100 when he's back tomorrow :lol:

But no giving it to Owen to sign Tyrone Mears!!! ^_^

Now the hard part is making Bolton sell...he can keep the 100 quid for that.

By the way, you must think I come cheap. :lol:

Interesting debate, but, as Nicko hints, it is not so straightforward as waving a cheque - you need the following to fall into place -

Must Have -

- The player must be available

- They must have the ability

- They must have the physique and fitness

- Their wage demands must be acceptable

- The transfer fee must be realistic

- The player must fill an identified gap in the team

- The player must want to play for the manager and club

- The manager must want him

Important extras -

- Have a track record in the Premiership

- Have several years left in them

Less important extra -

- Initial fan acceptance

Now if you accept the above then Kevin Davies may fulfil all the must haves, the only question in my mind is availability. He has a track record in the premiership and given his fitness record should have three years at least. The only thing would be fan acceptance and given experience over Diouf that can be overcome. He may never be loved but he would be accepted if he performed.

It does smack a bit of the return of John Byrom and he was woeful the first time around but I genuinely believe he is a different player.

If the Board and Sam want him ........

Now the hard part is making Bolton sell...he can keep the 100 quid for that.

They wont.

He is their captain and cult-hero!

Davies won't want to return to us either.

Interesting debate, but, as Nicko hints, it is not so straightforward as waving a cheque - you need the following to fall into place -

Must Have -

- The player must be available

- They must have the ability

- They must have the physique and fitness

- Their wage demands must be acceptable

- The transfer fee must be realistic

- The player must fill an identified gap in the team

- The player must want to play for the manager and club

- The manager must want him

Important extras -

- Have a track record in the Premiership

- Have several years left in them

Less important extra -

- Initial fan acceptance

I think the highlighted are haves where he will fail.

I take your challenge, but I add those with 8/9 goals as well, because that is what Kevin Davies have been scoring earlier years.

Darren Bent Tottenham 12 TOO EXPENSIVE- £10 MILL PLUS STUPID WAGES

Ricardo Fuller Stoke 11 GOOD PLAYER BUT ONE SEASON IN TOP FLIGHT

Jermain Defoe Tottenham* 11 TOO EXPENSIVE

Benny McCarthy Blackburn 10 GOOD JOB HIS OURS!

Kevin Davies Bolton 10

Matthew Taylor Bolton 10 NOT A STRIKER BUT AN EXCELLENT PLAYER.

Amr Zaki Wigan 10 WANTS STUPID WAGES AND GOES MISSING

Peter Crouch Portsmouth 10 TOO EXPENSIVE

Djibril Cisse Sunderland 10 DECENT PLAYER BUT NOT A GREAT SCORING RECORD

Kenwyne Jones Sunderland 10 VERY GOOD PLAYER BUT WOULD COST SILLY MONEY

Robbie Keane Tottenham* 10 DITTO ABOVE

Carlton Cole West Ham 10 DITTO ABOVE

Nilkas Bendtner Arsenal 9 GOOD SHOUT, WONDER HOW MUCH HE WOULD COST?

Tim Cahill Everton 9 NO CHANCE

Stephen Ireland Manchester City 9 NO CHANCE

Chris Brunt West Bromwich 9 NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Geovanni Hull 8 GOES MISSING

Youssi Benayoun Liverpool 8 NO CHANCE

Michael Owen Newcastle 8 BEEN DISCUSSED ENOUGH!

Obafemi Martins Newcastle 8 GOOD PLAYER, AGAIN WONDER HOW MUCH HE WOULD COST?

Craig Bellamy Manchester City* 8 NO CHANCE

I think we have the same chance of getting these ones as we have of getting Kevin D.

I would rather try going for: Kenwyne Jones, Chris Brunt,, Amr Zaki, Geovanni, Niklas Bendtner, Obafemi Martins, Bent or Defoe.

From the list I think we would have a chance of signing, Bendtner or Martins, that is not many on the list and I am yet to be convinced that (a) they would want to come to Rovers (B) we could afford them.

They wont.

I think the highlighted are facts we have to face.

I think you will find, in most instances, managers are aware if or not the player would be interested in a move, especially players they know wel,

would that be right Nicko :glare:

They wont.

I think the highlighted are haves where he will fail.

Reasonable shout but where there is smoke ..... I think there is more to come but then again Beattie is being mentioned. Oh the pleasure of the transfer poker game with bluff and double bluff.

Guest benmaxwell
Chris Brunt West Bromwich 9 NOT GOOD ENOUGH
Can't say i agree with you on that one. In all the games i saw Brunt playing in, he was the stand out player for Brom. He was also leaps and bounds better then any player for Brom throughout the season. Definately worth a bit if you ask me!

It's my job to find that kind of thing out.

Perhaps, but I can't say I'm too sure about the figures you're talking about. Didn't we offer David Bentley more money before his big move to Spurs?

Hell, 50 pages on a player who we haven't made a bid for.

Indeed. But I've noticed that you've so far posted 23 times on this particular speculative thread Den - admittedly not as much as 'benmaxwell', who has so far posted 88 times on this thread.

This is my first post on the thread - despite having misgivings about Mr Davies, I've kept a dignified silence up until now because in the interim period until it's been confirmed that Bolton have received a bid and have agreed to let Davies go then the situation seems to be partly hypothetical at the moment.

I don't think I've read one fact yet.

We don't know yet whether Davies will be joining us again at Ewood, but in terms of facts about his goalscoring record, his 11 goals in the 2008/09 season compared favourably to the previous 2007/08 season when he scored just 4 goals (and had 13 yellow cards). In the 2006/07 season it was 9 goals, 10 yellow cards and 1 red card.

After his £7.5m move to Rovers in 1998, Davies failed to score in his first 15 matches for Rovers and ended up with just two goals in our miserable relegation season of 1998/99.

Rovers failed to win any of their final 8 Premiership matches of the 1998/99 season and Davies was certainly one of the "rubber dinghy men" who were evading their responsibilities for the team, disgracing themselves on the field, in particular during that shocking 1-2 home defeat against an already relegated Nottingham Forest.

I suspect that after our relegation in 1999 if I had said to fellow Rovers fans: "In ten years time Rovers might look to spend millions on Kevin Davies again as a 32-year-old," people wouldn't have believed it. But it's a funny old game as our third highest-ever goalscorer for England Mr Greaves used to say.

Happy with big Kev coming.

You seem to have changed your tune a bit recently Mr Mellelieu - becoming a big cheerleader for Allardyce and Davies, whereas under your previous username of Paul McGarry you said that nobody could defend Big Sam's brand of hoofball with Bolton.

Bolton are the best example of how to ruin football as a spectator sport and any defence of their style of play is a complete and utter joke.

Wanderers play the worst football I think I've ever seen by a top flight club.

Complete and utter garbage.

Cheating, nasty brand of hoofball that passes for the beautiful game.

It's football big Sam, but not as we know it.

Is it a case of being happy to see long balls hoofed up to Kevin Davies in a Rovers shirt, but unhappy to see such a style with Bolton?

I hope that you point out that constitutes blatant racism.

Well a few years ago my brother's girlfriend wanted to be a police officer, but was discriminated against because she is white. She was told that the police force needed to recruit more black and Asian police officers to hit their targets.

It seems for some people though that racism only seems to work one way and they don't give a stuff if it's white people that are discriminated against.

Perhaps, but I can't say I'm too sure about the figures you're talking about. Didn't we offer David Bentley more money before his big move to Spurs?

I'm pretty certain as it happens...Bent was offered to someone I know in the last window and those were the figures he was on and was looking for.

As for Bentley, he got a fairly handsome pay day at Tottenham in the end. The Rovers deal was good too, but he wanted to go to Spurs for his own reasons.

Are any of the Davies haters the same that wanted Villanueva for £5 million??

Because i know who i'd rather spend the money on, and it's not the bloke with bags of potenital and sell on oppurtunities.

From the list I think we would have a chance of signing, Bendtner or Martins, that is not many on the list and I am yet to be convinced that (a) they would want to come to Rovers (B) we could afford them.

Kevin Davies statistics, including league and both domestic and international cups:

2005/2006: 46(8)

2006/2007: 33(9)

2007/2008: 37(5)

2008/2009: 38(12)

That is not very impressive.

Everything from £3m and more is imo stay away.

Djibril Cisse statistics from his PL years.

2004/2005: 15(5)

2005/2006: 30(19)

2008/2009: 34(11)

Even more impressive record than Davies and we lack pace up front.

I am sorry Nicko but I dont want to sign Davies no matter what you tell me!

nicko say we do sign Davies, would he be the 'big name' signing of the summer? Or would we have enough cash left for a quality midfielder?

I don't imagine that would be the case.

But a lot depends on what Bolton demand...and that will be heavy.

If you don't get Davies you will probably have to spend MORE on another striker, funnily enough.

So there is a lot of talking and thinking to be done.

One thing is sure. You won't get a top-quality striker for UNDER £5 million.

That is no doubt the cue for a dozen or so obscure foreigners to have their names bandied about on here.

AND, BY THE WAY, DJIBRIL CISSE IS ABOUT TO SIGN FOR PANATHINAIKOS...NO GREAT LOSS, I WOULD HAVE TO SAY.

Archived