BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes

Ponting would have a point about the 'Spirit of Cricket' if he:

1) Wasnt a monkey faced gimp; and

2) Hadnt stood Mid Pitch and called Swann an 'effing c...'.

So you'll forgive me for ignoring this distraction exercise. Sydney Rovers is right. A good captain would not allow two tailenders to last 69 fairly untroubled deliveries

3) He hadn't already set the precedent of screaming expletives at the pavilion after getting run out.

After reading his comments any sympathy I had has well and truly gone.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was under the impression that they were bowling spinners at both ends so that they could get more overs in before the cut-off time. Their seam bowlers did bowl a few overs at #10 and #11 but then were took off which I found strange, surely you should have your best bowlers on and not a part-time spinner when you need one wicket to win the match.

Rolling onto Lords think England will make the one change with Harmison coming in for Monty.

should be onions, not fecking Harmison

I agree with that, the Harmlessone is not the answer. How many times has he been dropped, done well on the county scene been re-called up and looked ineffective at test level? Its taking the ######.

Christ, Flintoff's knee has gone again. Having a scan on a knee that has some swelling...

Onions will come in for Monty I'm sure. Harmison will be named in the squad but won't make the team unless there's injuries.

As for yesterday, gripping stuff at the end and a totally unexpected finish. I too thought Ponting messed up by bowling North at the death. Yes, he got more balls in, but he was totally unthreatening. Johnson & Siddell should have been given a crack with the express instructions to rough Jimmy & Monty up. Still, who cares?!

England's bowlers will be better at Lords where there's more chance of swing & seam movement, but I also think the Aussie bowlers will improve too. Johnson frankly can't get much worse than he showed for most of the last test, he must be decent to justify his ranking, and the others look to be more accurate than most of the English bowlers.

The key will be whether England's batting can improve. They are all horribly inconsistent and seem incapable of long periods of concentration under pressure (Colly aside). After saying that, given the stick he's taking in the press today, I'd fancy KP to be top scorer at Lords. He usually produces when he's got something to prove. Shouldn't really take that for him to perform though but I guess that's just how he is.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was another draw. In fact, I think there may be a few draws in the series and the final result may only be 1-0 or 1-1.

It's worrying news that Flintoff has already got a problem and is doubtful for the second test, let's hope he's not out of the whole series!

All the talk from the cricketing pundits suggest Onions will be coming in, presumably at the expence of Panesar.

If Flintoff is out they seem likely to go with Harmison as a 'like for like' bowling replacement, but that definitely weakens the under performing batting order even more so.

Looks like Broad's batting will do enough to keep his place in the team, wonder if Bopara or Cook etc are under pressure with Bell named in the squad again or if that's more just to help with Bell's confidence. Can't see who would open ahead of Cook though, surely couldn't ask Prior to do it and keep wicket, not sure if he's ever opened much at first class level anyway.

Aussie's complaining about gamesmanship ! You must be joking, they invented it. Only two more words to say- Trevor Chappell.

Not that I condoned the action, but Trevor was ordered by brother Greg to bowl the ball in that manner.. Disgusting as it was to witness, Trevor never played again.

Will be interested to see if the Aussies go unchanged for the second test.

Not that I condoned the action, but Trevor was ordered by brother Greg to bowl the ball in that manner.. Disgusting as it was to witness, Trevor never played again.

Who would you change if any?

Hilfenhaus seemed to be the biggest shock selection from an Aussie point of view but he looked like your best bowler on par with Siddle. Johnson was very poor but it wasn't a seamers friendly wicket and I'm sure he must have something about him to justify his ICC ranking.

What's happened to Clark?

Think there's any pressure now on Hauritz? He definitely looked better than we thought he was, and from what I hear most Aussies thought he would be but his figures was a combination of decent bowling and poor batting. Would it be an option to go with Clark and get the spin from the part timers? Clarke is pretty good I've always thought but I heard he can't bowl a lot of overs, any truth in that?

Think the batting lineup is safe ;)

Who would you change if any?

Hilfenhaus seemed to be the biggest shock selection from an Aussie point of view but he looked like your best bowler on par with Siddle. Johnson was very poor but it wasn't a seamers friendly wicket and I'm sure he must have something about him to justify his ICC ranking.

Think there's any pressure now on Hauritz? He definitely looked better than we thought he was, and from what I hear most Aussies thought he would be but his figures was a combination of decent bowling and poor batting. Would it be an option to go with Clark and get the spin from the part timers? Clarke is pretty good I've always thought but I heard he can't bowl a lot of overs, any truth in that?

Wouldn't change too much DD.

Caught in two minds on Hilfenhaus, yes he bowled well, but Englands poor shot selection throughout the first test, did flatter his figures (that's just my view, I'm sure other Aussies on here will disagree). I would include Stuey Clark, but something tells me the selectors are seeing concern in the net practice sessions..

Hauritz is safe for the moment as are most others from yesterday.. Would very much like to see Watson included, but that might come later in the series.. Lee should be fit for the third and will be hungary.

Hughes, Katich, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, North, Haddin, Johnson, Siddle, Hauritz & Clark

On the bodyline tour Douglas Jardine asking the Nawab of Pataudi ( who was playing for England ) to field in the leg trap when Larwood was bombarding Bradman and Co. Apparently the Nawab refused on the grounds of sportsmanship, leading Jardine to move Pataudi to mid-off saying - " I see your Highness is a conscientious objector ". I suggest Trevor Chappell could have done the same.

Incidentally Trevor Chappell pro'd for a near bye Walsden in the Central Lancashire League as a young guy, he had a lot to learn about sportmanship then. His bat regularly went through many a door/window after he lost his wicket.

On the bodyline tour Douglas Jardine asking the Nawab of Pataudi ( who was playing for England ) to field in the leg trap when Larwood was bombarding Bradman and Co. Apparently the Nawab refused on the grounds of sportsmanship, leading Jardine to move Pataudi to mid-off saying - " I see your Highness is a conscientious objector ". I suggest Trevor Chappell could have done the same.

Incidentally Trevor Chappell pro'd for a near bye Walsden in the Central Lancashire League as a young guy, he had a lot to learn about sportmanship then. His bat regularly went through many a door/window after he lost his wicket.

I was actually referring to Trevor playing for Aust again.. Couldn't care less about some minor cricket league division..

By the history lesson in your post above, I guess your also illustrating the point, that the English haven't always been sportsman-like or played within the spirit of this great game? Good point :P

nothing (Please don't use that word again)ing wrong with Bodyline, not our fault you couldnt cope with it

Harmison is no bunny with the bat, and will probably get a couple of 20's

I couldn't agree more , we had the fast bowlers and they didn't so we could do as we pleased. We got the same treatment later on with Thommo and Lillee and we didn't have the bowlers to retaliate. We didn't threaten to withdraw from the Commonwealth though ! Same old Aussies- they don't like it up 'em do they.

I couldn't agree more , we had the fast bowlers and they didn't so we could do as we pleased. We got the same treatment later on with Thommo and Lillee and we didn't have the bowlers to retaliate. We didn't threaten to withdraw from the Commonwealth though ! Same old Aussies- they don't like it up 'em do they.

Careful Tyrone; you'll upset the Englishmen masquerading as convict reprobates on here.

nothing (Please don't use that word again)ing wrong with Bodyline, not our fault you couldnt cope with it

I know as a cricketing fan you really don't mean that.

For TS, you never recieved the fast leg theory from Thommo and Lille because bodyline was outlawed in 1935. Amazingly straight after the English got bounced out of the park by the West Indies at home and your crowds could see what all the fuss was about. You want to talk about gamesmanship? About not handling the pressure? Ask Pelham Warner who broke into tears.

All respect to Brown, Nawab and Wyatt for their stands.

I know as a cricketing fan you really don't mean that.

For TS, you never recieved the fast leg theory from Thommo and Lille because bodyline was outlawed in 1935. Amazingly straight after the English got bounced out of the park by the West Indies at home and your crowds could see what all the fuss was about. You want to talk about gamesmanship? About not handling the pressure? Ask Pelham Warner who broke into tears.

All respect to Brown, Nawab and Wyatt for their stands.

Toilet.

England beat the West Indies at home in 1933 2-0 but lost 2-1 in the Caribbean in 1934-5.

Leg-theory bowling was a perfectly legitimate tactic that has been used in county cricket by Notts and others in the seasons before the so-called "Bodyline" series. No one here complained, they just got on with it.

Australians need to grow up. To quote Simon Barnes, "the longest whinge in sporting history" continues.

Toilet.

England beat the West Indies at home in 1933 2-0 but lost 2-1 in the Caribbean in 1934-5.

Leg-theory bowling was a perfectly legitimate tactic that has been used in county cricket by Notts and others in the seasons before the so-called "Bodyline" series. No one here complained, they just got on with it.

Australians need to grow up. To quote Simon Barnes, "the longest whinge in sporting history" continues.

If anyone needs to grow up it’s you sunshine!

The continual garbage you have spouted on this board, against Australians for the last 6 years or so, is indicative of the xenophobic issues you have…

If anyone needs to grow up it’s you sunshine!

The continual garbage you have spouted on this board, against Australians for the last 6 years or so, is indicative of the xenophobic issues you have…

Try not to rise to the bait of the Wapping Wonder. He's still awestruck by Wupert Murdoch.

"The Australian press dubbed the tactic Bodyline, and claimed it was a deliberate attempt by the English team to intimidate and injure the Australian players. Reports of the controversy reaching England at the time described the bowling as fast leg theory, which sounded to many people to be a harmless and well-established tactic. This led to a serious misunderstanding amongst the English public and the Marylebone Cricket Club - the administrators of English cricket - of the dangers posed by Bodyline. The English press and cricket authorities declared the Australian protests to be a case of sore losing and "squealing".

It was only with the return of the English team and the subsequent use of Bodyline against English players in England by the touring West Indian cricket team in 1933 that demonstrated to the country the dangers it posed. The MCC subsequently revised the Laws of Cricket to prevent the use of fast leg theory/Bodyline tactics again, this also limited the traditional tactic."

"The Australian press dubbed the tactic Bodyline, and claimed it was a deliberate attempt by the English team to intimidate and injure the Australian players. Reports of the controversy reaching England at the time described the bowling as fast leg theory, which sounded to many people to be a harmless and well-established tactic. This led to a serious misunderstanding amongst the English public and the Marylebone Cricket Club - the administrators of English cricket - of the dangers posed by Bodyline. The English press and cricket authorities declared the Australian protests to be a case of sore losing and "squealing".

It was only with the return of the English team and the subsequent use of Bodyline against English players in England by the touring West Indian cricket team in 1933 that demonstrated to the country the dangers it posed. The MCC subsequently revised the Laws of Cricket to prevent the use of fast leg theory/Bodyline tactics again, this also limited the traditional tactic."

DAVE! How dare you let facts get in the way of jim's rantings.

A quote of our own to both Jim and Mr Barnes "I am not talking to anyone in the British media … they are all pricks."

Archived