BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Relegation Watch 2009-10 Season

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok crucial stage of the season – and the next 7 games will go along way to shape the league and decide who is down in the bottom 4 or 5 and who is up around 9th or 10th.

rivals.gif

Pompey – Next 3 home games are crucial, as you wouldn’t expect them to get much away from home

Bolton – 4 big local games out of the next 6 – Burnley, Wigan, City & Rovers (The last 3 being all away in a row)….shown improvements under Coyle so could pull clear.

Hull – Not a very nice run of game at all – Massive game against Wolves at home next week. 3 games against top 5 teams & 2 very tricky away games.

Wolves – 3 very tough home games & 3 very tricky away games…..It could either be excellent or awful for them!

West Ham – 6 games, 5 against 12th or lower & 4 home games in the 6. Big stage for them & probably the best run of games out of the strugglers! Crucial they pick up points.

Burnley – Can they fix their away form? If not in deep trouble…5 games, 4 are away & very difficult places to go!

Wigan – Could pick up points in any of their 6 games…should pull abit further clear of the bottom 3.

Sunderland – Tricky away games, key that they win their home games to stay safe. Lose Bent to injury and they could be in trouble!

Blackburn – Again key we win our home games…5 games, all games were we need to target at least 1 point from our away games & 3 at home. 3 wins & 2 draws would put us on 35pts with 11 games to go....

Stoke – Poor away from home – 2 home games, win them to stay clear of trouble. They could also need to start scoring away from home.

Everton – Tough run – next 2 games are crucial to their season – fail to win them and they could get pulled back into the mix – although to be fair they should have enough quality to be fine.

Fulham – If they can keep up their home form then 3 very winnable home games. Should be fine. They have however 2 of their better players out injured in Dempsey & Zamora!

Birmingham – 2 tricky games coming up – important that they keep going to not waste their great run or a blip could see them drop to around 13th-14th.

Not sure where you got the fixtures from mate, but they are wrong. Burnley have already played Chelsea away.

Right now with no Dunny, and MaCarthy seemingly off, you've got to honestly say Rovers are going to struggle.

What a silly thing to say.

Dunn has been injured for the last two and a half years, whereas McCarthy has been useless for the same period.

I can't see Judas sorting Notlob out in time. Might be a bias opinion, but the styles are so different and it took Judas 6 months before he did anything for us. Their game against us and you lot may well determine their season. Watching his interview after the Arsenal game shows that he is worried and perhaps he regrets going to them. He was promised loads to spend, but it now seems that they need to sell Cahill to fund his targets. Jussi the keeper had a huge strop making Colye do a u-turn on sacking the keepers coach. Maybe it is player power of the top flight that is getting to him has he has never worked with that kind of player before. His first chance to stamp his authority on the team and he caved in.

Pompey are gone if they don't sort the finances out in the next couple of days and sign some players. I very much doubt that will happen.

Hull or Wolves or both to me are in serious danger of the drop due to coming fixtures. They may have too much to do in the run in to survive.

I'm still on the fence with us. Laws first game at OT showed that he can get the players playing just like they have done most of the season and it was the same old story. We got beat, but did not deserve it or at least to lose by 3. Not taking our chances cost us and we lost Fletcher whom was running the game on his own. All our players are coming back from injury now that kept them out since September which will be a massive boost plus any new signings now.

Similar for you lot. A great result the other night has took some pressure off, but you know what happens if you have a run or 3 or 4 defeats, so again a game like the one with Bolton is a vital one. Win that one and you should not need to look back.

There is always Wet Spam to consider too. Looks like this buy out could save them though. Time will tell.

Right now with no Dunny, and MaCarthy seemingly off, you've got to honestly say Rovers are going to struggle.

Feb is absolutely critical for us and without those two to create openings our season might just depend on who is coming in. The table looks OK at the moment but our situation is making me nervous times. Being without our two of our three highest scorers is not a pleasant scenario.

Dunn has been injured for the last two and a half years, whereas McCarthy has been useless for the same period.

Apart from Nelsen no one else is scoring.

The last two games have seen five different scorers.

That's a very good thing, and we are covered fairly well in all areas at the moment, except for the Dunn role. If Dunn's out, we have no one else to play there. If we could buy someone else for that role then I would be assured of us doing well for the rest of the season.

Am I missing something here? Have I overlooked some creative player thats playing for us ?

Which games have you been watching?

Average goalie, weak defence, shockingly poor midfield, one up front.....positives !

Feb is absolutely critical for us and without those two to create openings our season might just depend on who is coming in. The table looks OK at the moment but our situation is making me nervous times. Being without our two of our three highest scorers is not a pleasant scenario.

Interesting to see that Bolton have scored 5 more goals than us and played two fewer games than us. When we play Bolton I think the result is going to be the reverse of the Reebok result.

Am I missing something here? Have I overlooked some creative player thats playing for us ?

Which games have you been watching?

Average goalie, weak defence, shockingly poor midfield, one up front.....positives !

No, the same stuff.

Which is why I'm aware that keeping mcCarthy and possibly Dunn isn't the answer to our problems.

Replacing them is.

I said Hull and Pompey wouldn't stand a chance, not looking good for them at the moment, surely with Pompey it's only a matter of time before points are deducted with their financial problems making relegation a a formality. Couldn't pick the other at the start of the year, 90% of me wants it to be Burnley but I certainly enjoyed beating them earlier in the season.

Got Pompey at 11/1 :D

As things stand, Pompey need several miracles on and off the park.

I cannot see how Hull can cut their wages by £9m to survive financially in the Prem and survive footballing in the Prem at the same time. Bit of a conundrum that one...

Burnley are likely to be a busted flush without Coyle.

Those are the three to go down but I will be seriously worried about us if Rovers don't have at least 32 points on the board after the Bolton game on 22 Feb. Sam failed to deliver the points in the ten games following that really tough start to the season so I am not taking anything for granted from these next 5 fixtures except to say that what follows them is a pretty horrible set of fixtures through to the end of the season.

Thankfully our leaky malfunctioning vessel is headed towards safety as the utterly bereft sink into the bottom 3.

Next season is going to be a stinker- none of the clubs looking likely to be promoted are by any means certain returners to the nether world putting enormous pressure on a club like Rovers. I am seriously worried about our prospects for 2010/11 because I don't think Sam has the magic touch back yet.

Hull blew a big chance today....not looking good for them.

Next 6 games............

Hull v Chelsea, 19:45

Saturday, 6 February 2010 - Hull v Man City, 15:00

Wednesday, 10 February 2010 - Blackburn v Hull, 20:00

Saturday, 20 February 2010 - West Ham v Hull, 15:00

Sunday, 7 March 2010 - Everton v Hull, 16:00

Saturday, 13 March 2010 - Hull v Arsenal, 15:00

• Backroom

Pretty much perfect set of results in other games for us today.

Burnley didn't look bad but its one thing raising your game against the big boys its quite another beating the teams around you in the real scraps.

Pompey are as good as down then joined by two of Hull, Wolves or the inbreds I think

Archived