BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Relegation Watch 2009-10 Season

I know the new Premier League season is not yet underway, but I still believe that a Relegation Watch Thread is appropiate as it can be used to record everyone's opinions and predictions on which teams are going to struggle and which teams could suffer relegation. There are already several teams who look more vulnerable than others (the likes of Portsmouth and Hull), which have been talked about frequently on other threads, so I believe this thread will be perfect to record everyone's views as the season progresses.

As for myself, below are some of the teams who I believe may be involved in a relegation battle this season.

Hull - Only one new signing, lack of quality in both defence and up front (second worst defence in the league last season as well as a lack of goals), dreadful home form, Bullard's not fit until October/December time, and they only recorded one win in their final 21 league games.

Portsmouth - Only one new signing, plenty of departures (not all first team players mind), real lack of quality throughout the team, and struggled last season. Also, is Paul Hart the right man to guide Pompey to top flight safety? I'm not sure.

Stoke - Second season syndrome, not many signings, teams may become familiar to the way they play and they probably won't be as good at home.

Wigan - New manager, poor end to last season (3 wins in final 18 games), key player Valencia has now left to Man Utd, lack of goals last season (34 - joint second worst in division), and have signed unexperienced Premier League players (McCarthy, Scotland, Gomez).

Burnley - Promoted club, less time for preparation due to Play Offs, their manager has no Premier League experience whatsoever, some of their new signings have no or little Prem experience (Fletcher, Easton, Mears,Eckersley), may not have the quality of players required.

Birmingham - Promoted club, scored the least amount of goals in the top 8 last season and may lack quality up front, unattractive football (even their own fans complain), may not have the quality of players required.

Wolves - Promoted club, conceeded quite a number of goals for a title winning club last year, McCarthy's got a dreadful past in the Prem (two stints with Sunderland - just 2 wins), may not have the quality of players required.

These are some of my thoughts as to which and why some clubs may struggle. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I think it's daft to judge who will go down before most teams have completed thier summer business, having said that at present with how the squads were I would say:

Hull

Pompey

Wolves

I will revise this statement once the window shuts.

Surely any unbiased assessment of things at Ewood Park right now would put us in the mix? We've lost a striker, have a midfield that is not up to the task. We're still waiting on a replacement for a player we sold 12 months ago, never mind the one that left a few weeks ago. Will a solid back four and a good keeper be enough to keep us in the league? I'd have to say that if I didn't support Blackburn Rovers I'd be putting a smart little bet on us to end up in the bottom three. There are problems at a lot of clubs right now and I think we'll be good enough in the end, or at least not bad enough, but to not put us on the shortlist would be a mistake until some serious strengthening has been done.

Nah there isn't, I'm hoping the chaps or chapettes who did it last time still have a template or whatever it was they used...

Didn't anyone score it this time? I remember Philly Rover used to do it but I don't think he posts here any more.

I was thinking I'd give it a go and score it, I've got a few ideas in my head about how I could get Excel to do most of the work for me.

Surely any unbiased assessment of things at Ewood Park right now would put us in the mix? We've lost a striker, have a midfield that is not up to the task. We're still waiting on a replacement for a player we sold 12 months ago, never mind the one that left a few weeks ago. Will a solid back four and a good keeper be enough to keep us in the league? I'd have to say that if I didn't support Blackburn Rovers I'd be putting a smart little bet on us to end up in the bottom three. There are problems at a lot of clubs right now and I think we'll be good enough in the end, or at least not bad enough, but to not put us on the shortlist would be a mistake until some serious strengthening has been done.

Yeah I agree with that. We do definately need to strengthen as we are weak in two key departments, but I still feel we are better than the other seven clubs I mentioned, although I probably should have included Rovers in the short list.

Brilliant! The season hasn't started yet and a thread goes up about relegation.

We need morale boosting support not conditioning for failure.

This board needs more snatchmcsnatchers!

If we don't get a decent goal scorer in soon we'll be down there for most of the season and may even go down.

Anyone who witnessed that shambles last season, who can sit there and say we’ll be safe, needs to buy the season dvd and take another look.

No midfield and no goal scorer, we’ll struggle.

If we don't get a decent goal scorer in soon we'll be down there for most of the season and may even go down.

Anyone who witnessed that shambles last season, who can sit there and say we’ll be safe, needs to buy the season dvd and take another look.

No midfield and no goal scorer, we’ll struggle.

Our current squad is essentially the same one that played the 2nd half of season, which was on european form PLUS sum new exciting faces. I'm not excited yet, but nor am I doom and gloom. I'll do what P*** I*** said and wait until 6 games are played before I judge Big Sam. PLUS we have strikers to come yet. Calm a tad.

Our current squad is essentially the same one that played the 2nd half of season, which was on european form PLUS sum new exciting faces. I'm not excited yet, but nor am I doom and gloom. I'll do what P*** I*** said and wait until 6 games are played before I judge Big Sam. PLUS we have strikers to come yet. Calm a tad.

Agree but I'm concerned that we've still only got two strikers and a weak midfield minus the Turkish Maestro.

I'd be surprised if it isn't any three out of Wigan, Hull, Pompey and the three promoted sides in the relegation mire at the end of the season.

Agree but I'm concerned that we've still only got two strikers and a weak midfield minus the Turkish Maestro.

I'd be surprised if it isn't any three out of Wigan, Hull, Pompey and the three promoted sides in the relegation mire at the end of the season.

Agree with ur relegation choices. It would appear we only need one striker now with Di Santo here (apparently) now. Its amazing what ONE signing can do to the mood of a whole forum. And (just to be a bit stupid...no change there then) how inappropriate is ur username? ;)

Agree with ur relegation choices. It would appear we only need one striker now with Di Santo here (apparently) now. Its amazing what ONE signing can do to the mood of a whole forum. And (just to be a bit stupid...no change there then) how inappropriate is ur username? ;)

I know, the name refers back to the plane incident over Turf but typical Dingles have even managed to cock that one up for me. Hopefully it is a one season wonder and the name can become relevent again the season after.

Bold statement considering we haven't signed anyone significant yet.

You're totally ignoring the fact that we picked up 1.4 points per game after Sam arrived.So why should we fear a relegation battle? We've only sold 1 significant player in Santa Cruz and he wasn't available much anyway. This was done in a period where we hardly had a fit striker and hardly any central mid-field (I include Andrews in this). As for no significant signings so far---how do you know that? The season hasn't started yet.They won't all succeed but expect some to surprise you, Sam has a good record when it comes to signings that aren't expensive.

What other team besides City, has signed anybody significant? Spurs signed Crouch, but he will be a flop.

I think Hull are impostors in this division and their manager is a fraud as well. For me they are stitched on and will go down with any two from us, Dingles, Big Club, Wolves and Pompey.

Again I'm really worried about Rovers. I'm not a big Allardyce fan but must admit it was mission accomplished from him last season. There's a while left in this window yet but with the way the squad stands we are not good enough imo and it would appear that Allardyce will have to plat fog to keep us afloat. Looks as though the bulk of the RSC cash is going eleswhere other than player recruitment.

Hope I'm wrong, we'll see.

Very obvious statement given how we did in the last 20 games of 2008/9 (worth a Europa Cup place if extended across 38 games) and our sales involve players who made appearances in 5 games between them in those games. We not only have an experienced international right back recruited to replace Ooijer but have three new youthful quick midfielders recruited to replace Tugay plus Dunn, Emerton and Reid coming back into contention.

The statement is further strengthened if yesterday's reports about Di Santos and Ghilas are true.

And it would appear that there is still a transfer kitty being held in reserve whilst the club's wage bill is much better than last season's and the interest bill should be much lower in the meantime.

Archived