BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2009 Best Xi

Balwer

I posted this on the transfer thread but I suppose it belongs hereL

QUOTE (nicko @ Aug 30 2009, 11:17 ) *

Your best team? In my view...

Robinson - Chimbonda, Samba, Nelsen, Givet - Salgado - Dunn, N'Zonzi, Pedersen - Kalinic, Di Santo.

Get that lot on the park and you will be ok...more than ok.

Hooray!

At last a suggested line-up on this MB which does not make me think the author is a deranged 2 year old who has already spent 3 man years playing computer games.

I will go with that and would be confident that line-up could scare the bejeebers out of any of the Big 4.

The subs btw would be Brown, Zura, Emerton, Reid, Hoilett, McCarthy and Diouf.

Grella and Andrews would be behind Jacobsen, Van Heerden, Roberts and Doran even to get on the bench.

I'd like to see Emerton play in central midfield again. He's got a lot of energy and throughout his career he's played in either a defensive or attacking role so he's got a good balance to perform both tasks and his work rate is amongst the best in the team.

I just wish he could perform like he did against Wolves [on his debut] in every game. Probably be worth more than Gerrard :D

Robinson

Jacobsen - Samba - Givet - Chimbonda

Hoilett - Dunn - Grella - Pedersen

Kalinic - Di Santo (Roberts)

It's hard to say what our best XI is at the moment. Defence pretty much picks itself, but Salgado might be even better than Jacobsen. As for midfield, Hoilett looks an extremely exciting prospect, Grella looked decent against West Ham and has more experience than N'Zonzi, but they're pretty much equal in terms of quality in my book. Dunn is one of the very few creative players we have, and therefore gets the nod over the workhorse Emerton. Kalinic looked promising when he came on vs West Ham, and I'm praying that Di Santo will be ready again soon.

..................Robinson

Salgado Samba Givet Chimbonda

............Emerton Grella

...Diouf ....... Dunn .... Pedersen

...................Kalinic

If we're struggling for bodies going forward then I'd bring on McCarthy 'in the hole' and reshuffle the midfield.

I agree with this, especially away from home. However, against the lesser sides at Ewood I'd prefer to see a second striker alongside Kalinic and Grella dropped to the bench.

• 2 weeks later...

Deserves a bump as everyone seems to be fit so we have a lot of players to choose from.

I missed the game on Sat as I was away, so just wanted to ask what is everybody feeling about the best XI.

Seems like a few have been converted to 4231? Is this a better option than 442?

Are people willing to leave Andrews in there for Everton after a good game against Wolves? Or should he be dropped?

Grella to survive after another good one?

With Nelsen fit how should the back line look?

Do we persevere with Roberts or introduce the young guys?

Pedersen seems to have had a good game so will stay in there?

How do we accomdate Emerton, Salgado and NZonzi all of whom seem to have the required quality to start?

My personal feeling is that we should go:

--------------------Di Santo

---Pedersen-------Dunn---------Diouf

---------------Grella-------Emerton

Chimbonda----Givet------Samba---Jacobsen

--------------------Robinson

Subs: Brown, Nelsen, Salgado, Andrews, Kalinic, Hoilett, Roberts

Guest andrewpickup

im not convinced by the new strikers or salgado yet especially after last night

robbo

jakobsen samba givet chimbonda

dioufy grella/nzoni mgp

dunn

hoilett roberts/ benni

nelsen emerton givet jakobsen chimbonda are all capable of filling each others positions too

eg

chimbonda nelsen samba givet

or

emo givet nelsen chimbonda

and so on

I think the team that starts against Everton should be the same 11 that started against Wolves.

The weak links (Grella & Andrews) both did very well and dont deserve to be dropped based on that game.

Nelsen should be 3rd choice centre back behind Samba & Givet - but im not sure that will be the case.

Its quite difficult because currently there are question marks over the following: Di Santo/Salgado/Kalinic/Reid and the longevity of playing Chimbonda at left back. I refer to question marks on the first 3 as we simply do not know if they have the required ability to make an impact in the PL. On Reid, you are hoping he can come back to some form after so long out.

Therefore, as it stands I would go with:

Roberts

---Pedersen-------Dunn---------Diouf

---------------Grella-------Emerton (if fully fit)

Chimbonda----Givet------Samba---Jacobsen

--------------------Robinson

If Chimbonda starts to suffer, we have the option of putting Givet left back (and Nelsen to CB) - he is playing so well at centre back, it would be a shame to move him.

On the right back position, Jacobsen has been excellent so far, and you think may get better with games. If he was to lose form, then for me, Chimbonda is a fine right back and would be good to see him in his preferred position - which leaves the debate (as in the other thread), on where our star man Salgado fits in.... who has a great track record but has never possessed much pace.

Midfield, the problem arises when Dunn & Grella get sidelined. I am actually intrigued to see how good Grella becomes after a run of games because I think he could surprise a few people. No real objections either on Andrews in place of Emerton in the team above (until Emo is showing top form/fitness).

On strikers, whilst he is frustrating, our most reliable option (and proven) up-front is currently Roberts. If Benni can manage to get/stay fit, then he could possibly push hard to start alongside him. Di Santo/Kalinic, we simply don't know....

Overall, when everyone is fit, we have some decent compeition for places, so will be interesting to see what happens.

I think the team that starts against Everton should be the same 11 that started against Wolves.

The weak links (Grella & Andrews) both did very well and dont deserve to be dropped based on that game.

Nelsen should be 3rd choice centre back behind Samba & Givet - but im not sure that will be the case.

I wouldn't say Grella is a weak link, he looks more than competant to me in his role. I would say the weak links are Andrews and Roberts at the moment, although both seemed to have decent games on Sat. I would expect those two to lose their spots before anyone else.

AT HOME:

-----------------Robinson

-------------Nelsen---Samba

Chimbonda----------------------Givet

------------------Grella

Emerton---------------------Pedersen

---------------------Dunn

----------McCarthy

------------------------Kalinic

Subs:

Brown

Jacobsen/Salgado

Zurab

N'zonzi/Andrews/Salgado

Reid/Diouf/Hoilett

Roberts

Di Santo/Hoilett

(subs depending on who's fit and in form)

AWAY:

-----------------Robinson

-------------Nelsen---Samba

Jacobsen----------------------Givet

------------Grella-----N'zonzi

Emerton---------------------Pedersen

------------------Dunn

-----------------Roberts

Subs:

Brown

Chimbonda/Salgado

Zurab

Andrews/Reid

Reid/Diouf/Hoilett

McCarthy/Di Santo

Kalinic/Di Santo

Simple as.

Sam see's Dunn as Gerrard some how so I think sam will keep the same line up and when we don't score he will pile on the strikers. Its the safe thing to do.

Roberts

Dunn

Pedersen Grella Andrews Diouf

Chimbonda Givet Samba Jacobsen

Robinson

McCarthy

Kalinic - sub on

Hoilett

Nzonzi

Salgado

Nelson

Di Santo - sub on

^ I like this line up. I will like the line up selected by Sam on Sunday even more, though.

I'm hoping that we will have a solid result this weekend. Everton's wheels are falling off and they have a European game Thursday. We should go in with a rejuvenated squad while Everton is battered and bruised, mentally and physically. Things are looking good. Fingers are crossed and I am knocking on wood.

• 4 weeks later...

What I feel is currently our strongest XI:

Robinson

Jacobsen / Nelsen / Samba / Givet

N'Zonzi / Emerton

Diouf Pedersen

Dunn

Di Santo

This is it for me, especially against the better quality opposition. Everyone will muck in defensively, it's a very hard working team with a fair bit of quality in it too. Diouf, Dunn and Peds will all support the lone striker, and I warrent Emerton with his pace will motor up the field to join in the attacks. All 4 defenders are reliable and solid. It looks a very balanced team.

The only problem with it is that the striker's probably leaving in January.

Against weaker teams like Wolves, I'd be tempted to drop N'Zonzi and push Dunn back and add another striker. I'd also be tempted to move Givet to the centre (replacing Nelsen) for these games, and put a more attacking left back like Chimbonda in to give us more options going forward.

Archived