BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The 40 Greatest Ever Rovers Players

Roost

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A pal of mine has asked for a list of the 40 best ever rovers players to list on his NUFC blog.

Link Here

Its a good read and he would welcome any banter about the dingles!!

(I think he has already listed Shearer!!)

A huge dilemma. Shearer is of course number one but is the second Kuqi or Enckelman?

Shearer is not number one! My memory says ...Bob Crompton,Jimmy Forrest, Dougie, Ronnie Clayton and then Big Al, Our Col and then 34 others including Mike England,especially Tony Field and someone called S---- G----r.Plus by now the 3 Jewels,Herring,Le Saux. That's 14 quickly.

Need to go back to the Alltime great team of 3 ? years ago.

TUGAY!!! Tony Parkes. The Faz. Kevin Gally. The whole title winning team, basically. Crompton. Douglas. Clayton. There are many who deserve a place in that list. Maybe even Sparky at a push (or a rhino gore). But I'd put Amoruso, Gresko, Ostenstad in there for a laugh.

I like it!!

Duncan McKenzie must be in there for me and Noel Brotherston - two amazing footballers

Sherwood, Wilcox, Ripley, Shearer, Sutton, Slater, Mimms, Flowers, Friedel, Tugay, Bellamy, Hendry, Savage, RSC, Benni, Samba Garner, Clayton, Douglas, Bentley, Berg, Batty, Le Saux, Newell, Kevin Gallacher....

Thats 24 who should all be in the best 40

Sherwood, Wilcox, Ripley, Shearer, Sutton, Slater, Mimms, Flowers, Friedel, Tugay, Bellamy, Hendry, Savage, RSC, Benni, Samba Garner, Clayton, Douglas, Bentley, Berg, Batty, Le Saux, Newell, Kevin Gallacher....

Thats 24 who should all be in the best 40

Think Robbie Slater has got to be pushing it!

Almost impossible to come up with a list like this because it will have such a modern bias. We need some of the oldies to come on here and wax lyrical about players from yesteryear. Where's JimMK2 with Bill Eckersley?

Tony Field, John Bailey, Kevin Hird, Noel Brotherston, Terry Gennoe, Roger Jones, Scott Sallars, Derek Fazackerley, Stuart Metcalfe, Glen Keeley, Simon Garner, plenty from the 95 title winners, including Shearer, Sutton, Newell, Ripley, Sherwood, Berg, Flowers, and plenty from the late 50s & early 60s including, Clayton, Douglas, Vernon, McEvoy, Pickering, McAleod (sp?), Eckersley, Briggs, Leyland, Woods..........any of the first 11 would make it into the current squad. :brfc:

Archived