BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The 15 Minute Fan

Grez

I've posted on this subject in the past, but I thought I would ask if anyone was seeing an increase in the 15 minute fan.

After witnessing the Man City stampede at Ewood a few years back when 10,000 citeh fans appeared inside Ewood from no-where I asked how it was possible for it to happen. The policeman I spoke to at the time said "ask the club it was their idea to open the gates early". It turns out that when the bell goes in the BBE, the gates are open for people to leave. Unfortunately, loads of people also walk straight in for their free 15 mins of footy.

Twice last season I saw the same problem of people nicking my friends seats when they were either out for a fag, or on holiday. Both times I had them ejected by stewards.

Yesterday the same thing happened... a woman came and sat in front of me 15 minutes before the end again... once again I had her ejected. I spoke to the senior steward in the BBE and he said that it is is a problem and he was unsure why the club did not open the gates 5 mins before the end.

Has anyone else spoken to the club? One day the citeh scenario will happen again and it is easily avoidable.

Just imagine - you can watch 5 hours free footy a year being the 15 minute fan.

Some fans just beggar belief.

One guy on my row is ALWAYS late, ALWAYS goes down early at home time and comes back late. Then ALWAYS goes 10 mins before the end, does'nt matter if it is the greatest, most nail biting period of football drama you have ever seen.

:blink:

I doubt this is a real problem - as if people would hang around waiting outside to sneak in for the last 15 mins. The City game you mentioned was exceptional as they got promoted that day and it was probably done for well planned and genuine safety reasons, so it's not really a valid point to sensationalise what you've seen. Also, when Celtic came, their fans were locked out at the perimeter gates and i'm sure Burnley fans weren't allowed to wonder in and out. You probably have an aisle seat that is close to an exit or has a better view and the fellow rovers fan you've had thrown out was probably sitting somewhere else before. Also if you did actually see people waiting outside and sneaking in that would mean you'd also have to be down on the concourse or outside, but that conflicts with you saying your watching the game.

• Backroom

He seems to cope with the drinking of copious amounts of ale in a packed concourse though!

Fair play then, I know a few older blokes like to leave early to avoid the masses on the way out.

I was working in the control room (radio controler) that wonderful day against City it was my last game working for Rovers, actually we had no choice bu to open the gates, hundereds of Rovers fans were in the exit areas wanting to leave, these fans were a mixture of the usual Rovers fans who want to leave early (it isnt just the riverside who leave before the end) and others who had kids with them and could see an ugly situation unfolding with the City fans.

The club, after the game received many complaints from Rovers fans that they had not been allowed to get out of the ground quickly enough, normally the gates are released centrally (magnetic locks controlled by computer) with approx 15 minutes to go, depending on match and scoreline, against City we left it as late as we could due to the number of City fans outsidebut we got to the point where there was so many people wanting to leave we had to open them.

I am not sure why you are so delighted at having rovers fans ejected, I admit when I was skint and unable to afford a ticket I used to go down to catch the last 15 mins occassionally it was the only fix of Rovers I could get.

Is his name Tugay_4_England? :D

It could well be me... I also go to the Blues before half time and usually get back to my seat late. All the lads on our row and around us seem cool enough with it though.

This thread should be renamed ....I couldn't think of owt else to moan about...and people think I like a moan!

Quality!!! :lol::tu:

One guy on my row is ALWAYS late, ALWAYS goes down early at home time and comes back late. Then ALWAYS goes 10 mins before the end, does'nt matter if it is the greatest, most nail biting period of football drama you have ever seen.

Where's that then Matty?

Compare that to the fan who sat behind me for the Chelsea game. As soon as we went down to 2-1 he left! :rock::lol: MUG!

The City scenario is one thing and should never be allowed to happen again, but as for the people coming in with 15 minutes to go, its support the club may rely on in years to come.

Now I know its not on a wide scale, but back in the 70’s I was one of the 15 minute fans as my dad wouldn’t take to some matches. My grandma lived up highercroft, and 7 of us regularly used to wait for the riverside gates to open and in we went, trying to avoid our parents who said it was to dangerous for us to go today.

All 7 of us season ticket holders now.

It could well be me... I also go to the Blues before half time and usually get back to my seat late. All the lads on our row and around us seem cool enough with it though.

Quality!!! :lol::tu:

Where's that then Matty?

well I'm row 26 seat 40 Blackburn End lower (jack walker side) and he's down my row somewhere.

Listen I'm not knocking the guy he's not missed a game (most of) in the 15 years Ive sat there but I just think of all the late drama you miss!!!!!

well I'm row 26 seat 40 Blackburn End lower (jack walker side) and he's down my row somewhere.

Listen I'm not knocking the guy he's not missed a game (most of) in the 15 years Ive sat there but I just think of all the late drama you miss!!!!!

...and early goals, I'm invariably late but its not entirely my fault.

Having sat on the end of a row at Chelsea, I'm aiming to become a reformed charachter.... Just got to drag a certain someone out of the pub in time from now on!

The City scenario is one thing and should never be allowed to happen again, but as for the people coming in with 15 minutes to go, its support the club may rely on in years to come.

Now I know its not on a wide scale, but back in the 70’s I was one of the 15 minute fans as my dad wouldn’t take to some matches. My grandma lived up highercroft, and 7 of us regularly used to wait for the riverside gates to open and in we went, trying to avoid our parents who said it was to dangerous for us to go today.

All 7 of us season ticket holders now.

Same here. I remember doing it several times in the old Enclosure.

That's fair enough, its not me then! I'm just a couple of rows back. It is annoying when people leave early, but I've found myself doing it quite often lately.

There's a couple who sit a few rows in front of me who leave no matter what with 5 mins to go. Inconsiderately that doesn't matter if the balls in play or out as they stand up in front of others watching.

At the Villa game they stood up and left as soon as the penalty was given - didn't bother to stop to watch it.

Beggars belief that they are enjoying the footy yet are there week in week out. Bizarre.

I think last time I left early was at Barnsley 5-1 down with 5 mins to go.

wow.

talk about grumpy ol' men, this thread takes the biscuit.

maybe people have to work caring for disabled children with chronic terminal illnesses and just get to go in and watch the last 15 mins. only to get thrown out by some busybody with a need to show a bit of power.

so people come in for the last few minutes and don't pay. good luck to them, i say. i have done it myself plenty of times and more often than not you don't see the best of the game but sometimes you get it just right.

When i was a kid in the 70s & early 80s, we regularly used to play around the Ewood Park area (on the fields behind)

We had no money & used to listen to the cheering & boo-ing when a game was on. kids like that kind of stuff. When a goal was scored, we jumped up & down celebrating.....even though we couldn`t see owt.

When the big gates were opened near the end of the match, we used to try & get past the copper on the gates & catch the last few minutes.

It was great fun. :tu:

As GAV has said previously, all of us are still Rovers fans & many are season ticket holders today.

I was working in the control room (radio controler) that wonderful day against City it was my last game working for Rovers, actually we had no choice bu to open the gates, hundereds of Rovers fans were in the exit areas wanting to leave, these fans were a mixture of the usual Rovers fans who want to leave early (it isnt just the riverside who leave before the end) and others who had kids with them and could see an ugly situation unfolding with the City fans.

The club, after the game received many complaints from Rovers fans that they had not been allowed to get out of the ground quickly enough, normally the gates are released centrally (magnetic locks controlled by computer) with approx 15 minutes to go, depending on match and scoreline, against City we left it as late as we could due to the number of City fans outsidebut we got to the point where there was so many people wanting to leave we had to open them.

I am not sure why you are so delighted at having rovers fans ejected, I admit when I was skint and unable to afford a ticket I used to go down to catch the last 15 mins occassionally it was the only fix of Rovers I could get.

I agree..there were two Manchester United fans sitting behind me last season..When you sit in the same seat for a few years you certainly get to know who is and isn't the normal fan for that seat..people do come and go from a seat as they move around..these lads were with a Rovers fan and apart from me not helping to overhear their conversation they were generally quiet and not bothering anyone..Have you ever had to sit with the home fans at a match?..well I have and kept quiet and not made myself obvious..Having someone thrown out, especially as they are a Rovers fan, is petty..especially when you know the seat is vacant...I agree with Abbey for once...all some fans want to do is moan...moan...moan...

Archived