BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mick Mccarthy

ancient

They should be allowed to get away with it. United got away with it at Hull at the end of last season, but the difference is that they won. No difference in what they did though, putting out a severely weakened team not caring if they won or not.

and the fans, possibly rovers fans, who pay going on for £100 to watch their team - what do you suggest there, tough luck?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suggest the club should know the backlash the decision will cause, especially to the bottom line, and factor that into their decision.

I, for one, haven't gone to see Chelsea (x2) or Arsenal since the shambles of the lineup we fielded at Emirates last season...

I, for one, haven't gone to see Chelsea (x2) or Arsenal since the shambles of the lineup we fielded at Emirates last season...

Yes, but that doesn't answer my question American. What about the fans who have paid towards £100 to watch their team compete?

We're SOL. Did we compete against Arsenal or Liverpool last season? Not much different than what McCarthy has done, he was just more forthright about it. I paid good money for the Mrs and I to watch us get put out to slaughter at Emirates. At least Wolves only lost by 2!

1305: Wolves boss Mick McCarthy brings back most of the side that beat Tottenham last week and were controversially rested in the defeat by Manchester United in midweek. McCarthy makes nine changes with keeper Marcus Hahnemann and defender Kevin Foley the only two to keep their places from the loss at Old Trafford.

From the BBC.

If that is not taking the michael out of the PL rules, I don't know what is...

1305: Wolves boss Mick McCarthy brings back most of the side that beat Tottenham last week and were controversially rested in the defeat by Manchester United in midweek. McCarthy makes nine changes with keeper Marcus Hahnemann and defender Kevin Foley the only two to keep their places from the loss at Old Trafford.

From the BBC.

If that is not taking the michael out of the PL rules, I don't know what is...

Well they won against Spurs and they're leading against Burnley. That seems like good management to me.

I'd just like to mention to all those who are defending the cheat McCarthy one more goal and a win today will put Wolves above us in the table. Now you may all be very happy with this situation; the Wolves manager rests his entire first team and takes a beating at Old Trafford, we put out pretty much our first team at BIrmingham and get stuffed, we put out another first team and get stuffed again on Saturday.

Should we have rested all our players in mid-week? If we had rested the whole team might we have beaten Spurs? If Wolves stay up and we go down will you all be cheering for McCarthy and so very, very understanding of his position? I think not.

If Wolves stay up and we go down will you all be cheering for McCarthy and so very, very understanding of his position? I think not.

So what you are saying that Rovers could lose out because of his actions? But wouldn't that vindicate McCarthy's decision?

There's also nothing to suggest their first team wouldn't have got tonked 3-0 at Man U as well.

No...but they were beaten at home by Villa the game before, and were hammered 3-0 at Fulham yesterday.

Wolves had a very real chance of getting something from that game, I am findind it hard to find argument so suggest the first team would do worse than the reserves.

Interesting to see the Dingles' tactics today by the way; 4-5-1 with their biggest threat being long kicks from the goalkeeper. I wonder who they've been watching. ;)

I can't help but feel like the press have done McCarthy a huge favour, as I think the reaction has served to united Wolves and created a siege mentality, whereas he might have had a few disgruntled players on his hands had it all gone unnoticed.

I'd just like to mention to all those who are defending the cheat McCarthy one more goal and a win today will put Wolves above us in the table. Now you may all be very happy with this situation; the Wolves manager rests his entire first team and takes a beating at Old Trafford, we put out pretty much our first team at BIrmingham and get stuffed, we put out another first team and get stuffed again on Saturday.

Should we have rested all our players in mid-week? If we had rested the whole team might we have beaten Spurs? If Wolves stay up and we go down will you all be cheering for McCarthy and so very, very understanding of his position? I think not.

I'm not cheering on Wolves, although today's game was really a win-win for us seeing as they are both right around us, I just don't like the backlash to what appeared to be a reasonable decision. He's the manager, he gets to make those calls. In order to back up that decision he needs to get results and it looks as though he'll be getting 6 points from 3 games when I think most would have only expected 3 at most.

We played Birmingham, that's not United. We lost, they're beating Burnley. We played Spurs, so did they. We lost, they beat them.

I want us to finish above Wolves (and everyone else for that matter), but I also don't like the little team being picked on. Fact is, if United rested 10 players against Wolves and lost the premier league wouldn't be looking into it, but because it's Wolves, just like had it been Rovers, it's unacceptable. Squad rotation is clearly only for the big sides.

As I said, if it had been Rovers and Allardyce I probably would have been unhappy about it, but that is my right as a supporter of that club; having said that, when the manager then points to the two wins and, what looks like, two clean sheets...I'd probably then have to shut my mouth.

Nothing to suggest that they wouldn't have done this even if they'd put there strongest team out there, but all we can say is that they didn't and they got more than what most of us would have expected from this run and the club is looking better for it.

Just like Thierry Henry's handball is/was...

A handball is cheating, picking a different side isn't.

Until you show me that McCarthy piled on his life savings on a United win on Wednesday then all I can say was he was acting in the best interest of his side, within what should be the laws of the game. He has a squad for a reason.

As I said, if it had been Rovers and Allardyce I probably would have been unhappy about it, but that is my right as a supporter of that club; having said that, when the manager then points to the two wins and, what looks like, two clean sheets...I'd probably then have to shut my mouth.

No-one has answered this yet Eddie, but do you really believe fans will accept paying up to £100 to watch their club give in and donate three points to the opposition? Really, really believe that?

What about those Wolves fans who paid that cash, is that OK, or is it just tough titty?

It's an interesting one.

I remember under Souness when we went to Arsenal in the FA Cup quarter final. We played an understrength team that day, resting a number of first team players. However, the players played very well that day and we ended up getting promoted.

Nobody complained, but we surrendered our place in the FA Cup at such an advanced stage of the competition.

Is this different?

Archived