BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Vs Sunderland - Dec 28Th Preview (Well Sort Of...)

Is Dunn likely to be fit for this one? If so, I'd go with the following;

Robinson

Jacobsen Samba Givet Chimbonda

Emerton N'Zonzi Dunn Hoillet

McCarthy Kalinic

If not, stick Emerton in the middle and have Pedersen and Hoillet on the wings.

We really need to win this one.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

And your captain would be?

Dunn, Emerton, Samba or Givet could all do as captain, I see no problem in that department. For me Givet and Samba is out best pairing at the back.

This is an intriguing one.

Rovers are shorn of three of the four players who give the team any fluidity from the centre of the field (Emerton, Dunn and the current improved Grella) whilst Sunderland are having a miserable time for all the tens of millions spent on their team and were very lucky not to lose at home to Everton yesterday.

Bruce is asking for a big response from his players whilst I expect Sam to play negatively and given the resources at his disposal really has little choice in the matter.

Provided we resist a likely Sunderland surge without conceding, I expect this will be no feast of entertainment but that we will have the consolation of three points. 1-0 to the Rovers, Benni to score.

Dunn, Emerton, Samba or Givet could all do as captain, I see no problem in that department. For me Givet and Samba is out best pairing at the back.

And someone has already pointed out that Givet offers next to nothing going forward, other than the goal against Sunderland Givet has contributed very little in attack, whereas Nelsen has about 2/3 assists to his name and 2 goals this season more than any other defender and you would seriously drop him? Defensively I don't think Givet does any better than Nelsen in the centre. Other than Dunn I don't think there is a natural leader in the team.

• Backroom

I suppose its all about opinions RIML, for me as central defenders Givet is far ahead of Nelsen, even if Nelsen offers a slightly larger threat going forward I'd choose the one that excels in his primary role of preventing goals.

GK

JACOBSON......................NELSEN......................GIVET.......................CHIMBONDA

........................................N'ZONZI.................................................

.........................EMERTON......................HOILLET..................................

..............................McCARTHY............................................................

.................................................KALINIC.........................................

.....................................SAMBA...........................................................

More goals in samba than di santo, someone to win every aerial battle with 2 or 3 runners......getting tiresome being worried about garbage teams like sunderland. stick it to them 3-0 rovers

I suppose its all about opinions RIML, for me as central defenders Givet is far ahead of Nelsen, even if Nelsen offers a slightly larger threat going forward I'd choose the one that excels in his primary role of preventing goals.

Defensively, what makes you think Givet is far ahead of Nelsen? It cannot possibly be his pace, his heading ability is probably just as good but no better and Nelsen makes some timely challenges as does Givet, there is really nothing between the two but you seem to think Givet is far ahead and I really don't know why, please explain.

GK

JACOBSON......................NELSEN......................GIVET.......................CHIMBONDA

........................................N'ZONZI.................................................

.........................EMERTON......................HOILLET..................................

..............................McCARTHY............................................................

.................................................KALINIC.........................................

.....................................SAMBA...........................................................

More goals in samba than di santo, someone to win every aerial battle with 2 or 3 runners......getting tiresome being worried about garbage teams like sunderland. stick it to them 3-0 rovers

That doesn't actually look too bad a team.

Won't be pretty but can you imagine Sunderland looking forward to containing Samba while any loose balls are picked up by Kalinic?

Mccarthy would try to provide the creativity and Hoiltett would be a threat as well as being involved in the game. Hopefully Emerton will return from his groin injury although it does not seem to be a certainty.

We do not have another Prem game for 2 weeks after this. It is VITAL we get a win.

• Backroom

Defensively, what makes you think Givet is far ahead of Nelsen? It cannot possibly be his pace, his heading ability is probably just as good but no better and Nelsen makes some timely challenges as does Givet, there is really nothing between the two but you seem to think Givet is far ahead and I really don't know why, please explain.

givet is slightly faster but a hell of a lot sharper in my opinion. Nelsen also seems to put us under pressure by conceding silly corners and such as well.

Nelsen has been supreb for us but his legs can't keep up with his brain at times now.

I'd imagine many share the view that givet Is the better of the two in the middle

givet is slightly faster but a hell of a lot sharper in my opinion. Nelsen also seems to put us under pressure by conceding silly corners and such as well.

Nelsen has been supreb for us but his legs can't keep up with his brain at times now.

I'd imagine many share the view that givet Is the better of the two in the middle

Silly corners, what the one against Birmingham? If that's the reason why you would drop Nelsen, then Samba should be dropped because he almost scored an own goal against Hull and Wigan, but no Givet, Samba and Nelsen deserve a place in the starting line-up, if anyone should be dropped on performances of late it's Chimbonda.

Many might share your view but you don't pick the team and I'm so glad, Sam sees what Nelsen does on the pitch, he was only saying the other week "superbly marshalled defence by Ryan Nelsen"

No matter how much he does on the field his work usually goes unnoticed, he made the goal yesterday but that all goes out the window with some people because he was out jumped by Rodallega, maybe take note of what the other defenders were doing.

Big game for a few reasons. With the league table being so tight, every match now is massive, particularly our home games.

A confident win would tee us up nicely for January with the semi-final matches looming and coming ever closer.

• Backroom

Silly corners, what the one against Birmingham? If that's the reason why you would drop Nelsen, then Samba should be dropped because he almost scored an own goal against Hull and Wigan, but no Givet, Samba and Nelsen deserve a place in the starting line-up, if anyone should be dropped on performances of late it's Chimbonda.

Many might share your view but you don't pick the team and I'm so glad, Sam sees what Nelsen does on the pitch, he was only saying the other week "superbly marshalled defence by Ryan Nelsen"

No matter how much he does on the field his work usually goes unnoticed, he made the goal yesterday but that all goes out the window with some people because he was out jumped by Rodallega, maybe take note of what the other defenders were doing.

Nelsen has done it on many occasions this season, just yesterday he sliced a clearance and nearly gifted them a chance, for me he's been great but as time goes on he's slowly getting worse and more mistakes are creeping in.

As I said football is all about opinions and you are obviously very fond of Mr Nelsen but for me Givet is a more accomplished defender. As it goes I think a back three of nelsen/Samba/Givet with Chimbonda and Emerton as wingbacks could work but now is not the time for trying the likes of a 5-4-1

Nelsen has done it on many occasions this season, just yesterday he sliced a clearance and nearly gifted them a chance, for me he's been great but as time goes on he's slowly getting worse and more mistakes are creeping in.

As I said football is all about opinions and you are obviously very fond of Mr Nelsen but for me Givet is a more accomplished defender. As it goes I think a back three of nelsen/Samba/Givet with Chimbonda and Emerton as wingbacks could work but now is not the time for trying the likes of a 5-4-1

You only need to watch the highlights again and you will see Samba was doing sweet f*** all, watch him don't talk your eyes off Samba seriously what is he doing, who is Givet marking? What is Chimbonda doing, there's 4 defenders why was Nelsen left all on his own to mark two players when the rest were ball watching, same last week, there's nothing more he could have done, he tried his best to draw the foul on Crouch but he was exposed, Chimbonda should have done better.

• Backroom

Ok RIML I'm just going to leave it there you're clearly very passionate about defending Nelsen as I've never once criticised him for the goal yesterday.

Maybe last week he should have tried his best to win the ball rather than to draw a foul?

Archived