BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] James Beattie- Yay, Nay, Nonchalance?

141 members have voted

1. 1. Beattie

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Nochalance
    • Get Grooby instead

I figure that the James Beattie talk is kinda taking over the ins and outs thread, so merits its own. Especially since he is seeming a pretty likely target of ours. So, hopefully, this can save people who are sick of reading about him from having to do so in order to get to the latest transfer gossip.

I don't know how to make a poll, if ordinary board members can do that, but if a mod can convert this thread into a poll too that would probably be handy.

So, opinions, debate, etc, on do we want a Rovers Return (sorry!) for Beattie- let's try to have it here please?

not if i was in charge. isn't good enough for us.

i'm not in charge though so he would be a good signing for big sams system. and if he gets him playing like he can (or could) - though i don't think he will - then we've got a good striker. he'd have to be cheap though. a risky venture otherwise.

He'd be no worse than Roberts and might well be better. Plus he's a local lad, and I always like a few players from the population that supports the team. Helps keeps the ties between the squad and the bulk of the fans strong.

Of course that is not to advocate spending a fortune to acquire him. Common sense has to prevail on the money issues.

Just my two cents.

Completely underwhelmed by the prospect. We already have four strikers who are failing, primarily through lack of service, signing Beattie does nothing to address the problem. Beattie has 3 goals in 18 appearances (11 starts, 7 as sub) this season - Roberts for example has 3 from 16 games (10 starts, 6 sub) so Beattie doesn't represent much of an improvement given he's playing in a team of similar style. If he comes I hope he's a success but I won't be excited by the signing

I would say yes, if he came in as a replacement for Roberts but no if he came in for Benni. The boy will be pumped up should he return, with im sure something to prove considering his failure as a youngster at Rovers.

I do think Beattie would fit into Sams plans more than any other striker at the club, However as mentionned earliier, which head will he have on if he comes?

On his day, he is more than useful and Franco and Nicko would play well off him plus he would bag a few goals as well, definately better than Roberts!

I would say yes, if he came in as a replacement for Roberts but no if he came in for Benni. The boy will be pumped up should he return, with im sure something to prove considering his failure as a youngster at Rovers.

Just never understand this train of thought, the other players might dislike him, and then what if they do ?

Can we try and get him in on a loan?

Now that alexanders, seems the most sensible option going, hats off to you.

I'd almost take anyone that can shoot and score...but Beattie hasn't exactly been doing much of either these last few seasons. Looks past it to be honest. We need better.

At 32, costing millions of pounds per year, with no resale value, you begin to wonder who are these people running the club.

The same people who're vehemently opposed to Beattie are, in the main, the same people that were vehemently opposed to Dunn's return. At a guess they are 30-somethings who grew up with James and David and are obsessively jealous that these two have made a lot of money while they're grubbing around to live.

I'd love James back.

Absolutely yes for lots of reasons.Guaranteed 5 goals to end of season which is worth millions.

Short-term fix but who knows he could really mature with us and also act as a galvanising spirit

on the pitch.

AND can you just see it if he scores on March 27th !!!!

Just never understand this train of thought, the other players might dislike him, and then what if they do ?

Jal what are you on about? The other players might dislike him? :rolleyes: Why would they dislike him, when he has never played with them before. In fact, like any other job, he wont be here to make friends but to ensure that he does his best and score goals. However, knowing Rovers players over the years, there has hardly been an indcident where a signing has not been made to feel welcome by the rest of the squad. For a small fee, i would be happy to see him replace Roberts. If we sell Benni to fund a move for Beattie, then i will question Sam and will actually be furious with that.

Last season it was generally touted that his seven goals in the second half of the season kept Stoke up ?????????

Beattie has made 18 appearances this season, only 9 of which have been for more than 45 min including one of 90 min, scoring 2 goals and no assists in a total of 770 minutes on the pitch.

Big ?????????? for me even if he was brought in at the expense of Roberts, would no doubt be on more £££££ than Roberts and would probably want a contract to the end of his career.

The same people who're vehemently opposed to Beattie are, in the main, the same people that were vehemently opposed to Dunn's return. At a guess they are 30-somethings who grew up with James and David and are obsessively jealous that these two have made a lot of money while they're grubbing around to live.

I'd love James back.

Hmmm, i can understand why people are opposed to the signing Of Beattie, but i dont think people were Opposed to Dunn's return, more concerned. I think it was more a case of his injury record, that people were afraid he might break down again... This has been the case, but without a doubt when he has been fit, he has done the business.

Last season it was generally touted that his seven goals in the second half of the season kept Stoke up ?????????

Beattie has made 18 appearances this season, only 9 of which have been for more than 45 min including one of 90 min, scoring 2 goals and no assists in a total of 770 minutes on the pitch.

Big ?????????? for me even if he was brought in at the expense of Roberts, would no doubt be on more £££££ than Roberts and would probably want a contract to the end of his career.

again its more to do with him being unhappy at Stoke, and Roberts unhappy here.At the end of the day, the desire to do well a 2nd time around at Rovers might be alot more worth to us, than people might think. He will come here with so much to prove, and it could just be a master stroke by Sam if he signs. However, it could all end in tears as well if this does not work out. Worth the gamble? i think so.

Now that alexanders, seems the most sensible option going, hats off to you.

At 32, costing millions of pounds per year, with no resale value, you begin to wonder who are these people running the club.

These people running our club are doing a fantastic job keeping our heads above the water. Let's leave them to get on with the excellent job that they are doing and support them all the way.

I'd like to see Beattie back in place of Roberts. He can't be any worse, I don't think he'd cost us any more money and him being a local lad COULD make a big difference. Otherwise we could go for someone like Wayne Rooney or Jermain Defoe.

No resale value? If he scored and made around 10-12 goals between now and the end of the season that could help us climb 3 or 4 places in the league, that could be worth £2m-£3m.

I am in the same mind as all those who say he would just about be acceptable as an exchange for Roberts.

However there is for me a question against the accusation that he "has already failed" at Rovers. Before this becomes a "fact"people need to ask themselves the following questions:

1) When was Beattie shipped out as a "failure"?

2) Who was the manager at the time that decided he was a failure?

3) How long after Rovers winning the championship did this happen?

4) Was the decision made on the strength of an opinion that he was never going to make it as another Shearer, Sutton, or Gallagher? With no thought at that time that Rovers would ever find themselves in the position they are now in?

Also something to think about is the fact that after being shipped out as a failure he manged to play very well for a good Southampton side, and get an England cap as well. He did Ok as well at Everton.

Some "failure" that is eh?

I put these questions only because I think the lad must have ability even if he has rather made a mess of it with his lifestyle to date. But who can say that if Sam thinks he can reclaim the lad's career and get him firing on all cylinders again, then it is not worth a try?

I think its gonna be a good move,hes a local lad and hopefully that will mean he will give 100%,He is as good as ,if not better than anything weve got in that position now,so why not,providing the financial part of the deal is ok obviously. :rover:

I am in the same mind as all those who say he would just about be acceptable as an exchange for Roberts.

However there is for me a question against the accusation that he "has already failed" at Rovers. Before this becomes a "fact"people need to ask themselves the following questions:

1) When was Beattie shipped out as a "failure"?

2) Who was the manager at the time that decided he was a failure?

3) How long after Rovers winning the championship did this happen?

4) Was the decision made on the strength of an opinion that he was never going to make it as another Shearer, Sutton, or Gallagher? With no thought at that time that Rovers would ever find themselves in the position they are now in?

Also something to think about is the fact that after being shipped out as a failure he manged to play very well for a good Southampton side, and get an England cap as well. He did Ok as well at Everton.

Some "failure" that is eh?

I put these questions only because I think the lad must have ability even if he has rather made a mess of it with his lifestyle to date. But who can say that if Sam thinks he can reclaim the lad's career and get him firing on all cylinders again, then it is not worth a try?

Good post Fife, there is no disputing the lads ability, just his head sometimes and if Sam can sort that, we have a player!!

These people running our club are doing a fantastic job keeping our heads above the water. Let's leave them to get on with the excellent job that they are doing and support them all the way.

I'd like to see Beattie back in place of Roberts. He can't be any worse, I don't think he'd cost us any more money and him being a local lad COULD make a big difference. Otherwise we could go for someone like Wayne Rooney or Jermain Defoe.

No resale value? If he scored and made around 10-12 goals between now and the end of the season that could help us climb 3 or 4 places in the league, that could be worth £2m-£3m.

Fantastic job ! we are very close to relegation.

SO what do we do... I KNOW.... lets go and buy a striker form one of only three clubs to have scored less goals than us because hes an old boy. Fantastic ! Sorry, cant go with stupid on this one.

A local lad COULD make a difference - what skewed, distorted logic is being employed here ? Or is this simply A GUILT TRIP FROM MR. JOHN WILLIAMS BECAUSE HE LEFT A YOUNG JAMES IN TEARS WHEN HE TOLD HIM HE WAS BEING SOLD SO MANY YEARS AGO.

At the end of the day the only sensible way forward for me comes from our Norwegian friend alexanders as in getting Beattie on loan see how he goes then in the summer if hes done enough buy him then thats the only compromise for Rovers on the matter.

Paying out a large sum straight away is BAD BAD business.

Fantastic job ! we are very close to relegation.

SO what do we do... I KNOW.... lets go and buy a striker form one of only three clubs to have scored less goals than us because hes an old boy. Fantastic ! Sorry, cant go with stupid on this one.

A local lad COULD make a difference - what skewed, distorted logic is being employed here ? Or is this simply A GUILT TRIP FROM MR. JOHN WILLIAMS BECAUSE HE LEFT A YOUNG JAMES IN TEARS WHEN HE TOLD HIM HE WAS BEING SOLD SO MANY YEARS AGO.

At the end of the day the only sensible way forward for me comes from our Norwegian friend alexanders as in getting Beattie on loan see how he goes then in the summer if hes done enough buy him then thats the only compromise for Rovers on the matter.

Paying out a large sum straight away is BAD BAD business.

Never have I or anybody else in favour of bringing Beattie back mentioned bug bucks. The whole point of him being a realistic target is that he will be affordable. Stoke only paid around £2m for him and according to you he is dog sh!t so how on earth can he be a big money buy? My idea of this is some sort of swap deal with Roberts.

You state that we are very close to relegation. We are actually in a better position than we were last year, that's progress. In fact it's pretty good progress considering the resources of other clubs around us have had recently.

It takes a long time to build a club back up and it takes even longer to build a club back up on extremely limited resources whilst balancing the books. Credit to all involved for keeping the club as financially stable as possible.

Lets hope the club don't have the same idea as you about preferring to keep Roberts and relying on him to deliver the goods that he hasn't delivered for us in the last 3 seasons.

Never have I or anybody else in favour of bringing Beattie back mentioned bug bucks. The whole point of him being a realistic target is that he will be affordable. Stoke only paid around £2m for him and according to you he is dog sh!t so how on earth can he be a big money buy? My idea of this is some sort of swap deal with Roberts.

You state that we are very close to relegation. We are actually in a better position than we were last year, that's progress. In fact it's pretty good progress considering the resources of other clubs around us have had recently.

It takes a long time to build a club back up and it takes even longer to build a club back up on extremely limited resources whilst balancing the books. Credit to all involved for keeping the club as financially stable as possible.

Lets hope the club don't have the same idea as you about preferring to keep Roberts and relying on him to deliver the goods that he hasn't delivered for us in the last 3 seasons.

The only way forward here or a compromise is A LOAN DEAL for James.

James gets an opportunity to show his worth, the club realise if its the best way forward, do their sums, and the fans either take to him or not.

Thats the safest route the club can go here from all aspects. To splash the cash would be highly reckless in my opinion.

The only way forward here or a compromise is A LOAN DEAL for James.

James gets an opportunity to show his worth, the club realise if its the best way forward, do their sums, and the fans either take to him or not.

Thats the safest route the club can go here from all aspects. To splash the cash would be highly reckless in my opinion.

JAL this is getting boring. Nobody is talking about splashing the cash, we are talking about taking him on or not. The deal is totally out of our hands. Some of us fancy Beattie here in place of Roberts and some don't. It's called opinion and we all have our own. It's not a matter of being right or wrong it's just what we'd like to see happen.

Archived