BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Time Up Pompey?

Stuart

Hardly worth crowing about when they cannot run a club down there without the input of a double billionaire.

To be fair to him, he hasn't gone over the top with his spending and wages. He's bought players who have made their name mainly in League 1 and League 2 as well as bringing in a few Championship players who have something to prove. Of course he's probably invested more money than other League 1 clubs but Southampton probably receive more money than other league 1 clubs due to the amount of revenue the club makes.

It's been a year since he's been in charge and in comparison to how Portsmouth have been run as well as how the club was run under Rupert Lowe etc then it's easy to see how much more profressional the club is. I guess we can only really tell for sure when Southampton are in the higher divisions to see what the owners approach will be. If it's anything like it is now, then I'm pretty sure the club will be run in a slick and professional manner.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair to him, he hasn't gone over the top with his spending and wages. He's bought players who have made their name mainly in League 1 and League 2 as well as bringing in a few Championship players who have something to prove. Of course he's probably invested more money than other League 1 clubs but Southampton probably receive more money than other league 1 clubs due to the amount of revenue the club makes.

It's been a year since he's been in charge and in comparison to how Portsmouth have been run as well as how the club was run under Rupert Lowe etc then it's easy to see how much more profressional the club is. I guess we can only really tell for sure when Southampton are in the higher divisions to see what the owners approach will be. If it's anything like it is now, then I'm pretty sure the club will be run in a slick and professional manner.

Going to stick some money on the Saints for promotion this season, just been quoted at 5/2.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it impacts those still under contract but of course they are footballers as well as being employees so the first pennies received by Pompey will go to their salaries legally until such time as the administrator calls in the liquidators when their contracts disappear.

The reality here is the Revenue are trying to break football creditor status. They are willing to trade their £6m offer under the CVA for nothing so long as they set a precedent killing football precedent in distress.

The administrator could be in deep trouble personally if the Court adjudges the rights taxes as his responsibility- it is the job of the administrator to give an honest accounting of all debts- and I think there could be a case that something other than reasonable professional judgement caused him to miss those items. The Revenue might well have good reason to re-open the case to get Andronikou dismissed if they win on that point.

My gut feel is that there is a whole load of people (particularly the FA and Premier League) who would unhesitatingly have ditched Pompey into administration 15 months ago rather than face this now.

This is a clear indication that Pompey think their case is in trouble - their lawyer is saying they will fold if they lose. Legal emotional blackmail.

Richard Sheldon QC says that if HMRC wins, the club will "not be able to give the Football League the assurances it needs to fulfil its fixtures".

"It will go out of the league. The club will probably be liquidated," he added.

Big day today.

If the tax man wins on any of the points they have put forwards, things are going to get interesting. My hope/hunch is they will prevail on the taxation of rights (which will cause panic at Man U, Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool) and thereby obtain the 25% voting rights to kill the CVA but not on the attack on football privilege.

Personally, I doubt that Pompey would be liquidated immediately as I think that message is directed at the Football League to try to avoid the 20 points deduction but if Pompey are liquidated then it will be interesting to see whether Pompey's £48m of parachute payments go into the Football League pot or the Premier League pot. My guess is that as Pompey are now no longer a PL club, it will go to the Football League giving the 71 Chairmen there a huge incentive to clobber Pompey out of existance.

Big day today.

If the tax man wins on any of the points they have put forwards, things are going to get interesting. My hope/hunch is they will prevail on the taxation of rights (which will cause panic at Man U, Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool) and thereby obtain the 25% voting rights to kill the CVA but not on the attack on football privilege.

Personally, I doubt that Pompey would be liquidated immediately as I think that message is directed at the Football League to try to avoid the 20 points deduction but if Pompey are liquidated then it will be interesting to see whether Pompey's £48m of parachute payments go into the Football League pot or the Premier League pot. My guess is that as Pompey are now no longer a PL club, it will go to the Football League giving the 71 Chairmen there a huge incentive to clobber Pompey out of existance.

It did occur to me that if the Revenue were successful in arguing that image rights payments should be taxed as earnings it would have huge implications for the "big" clubs.

As regards Pompey's parachute payments, the 48m split over 4 years over 71 clubs would only be about 180k p.a each which would no doubt be useful but not life changing for most of them.

I guess the Judge calling both QCs into his chambers probably means neither side has got all that they asked for and he is trying to get them to sort out a response to his verdict to avoid undue speculation and uncertainty.

I think the Pompey QC was highly irresponsible in his pleading.

Even before the private QC's meeting my guess would have been Pompey won't go bust and the judge will try to give each side a bit of something.

It would be a very brave judge who sent a former Premier League Club to the wall - even if it is "only" Portsmouth.

Archived