BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers' Original Kit

WTF is that 1st kit?! Is it a going out suit?! :lol:

Looking at those pics, the blue n white was the other way around too!

The orientation of the blue and white halves changed a few times in the years before the wars, not sure why though!

:rover:

WTF is that 1st kit?! Is it a going out suit?! :lol:

Looking at those pics, the blue n white was the other way around too!

1. Players were a lot smarter and formal attire was the norm in 1875.

2. The "halves" were frequently swapped round before the second world war as Umbro wanted to maximise sales. The commemorative 125 year anniversary shirt (which you missed out on I think I read on here) has the blue on the right - it just doesn't feel right when you wear it.

The first Blackburn Rovers jerseys were white and adorned with the blue Maltese Cross of the Shrewsbury School.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5495393_history-football-shirt.html

This famous Lancashire club was formed by John Lewis and Arthur Constantine, old boys from the famous Shrewsbury public school.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Blackburn_Rovers/Blackburn_Rovers.htm

Very strange how history is reported one way and then, 50 years later, the "facts" have changed.

Makes one wonder who is right.

According to a book in 1948 by Harry Kay and a later book by Harry Berry, John Lewis and Arthur Constantine met in the St Leger Hotel, King William Street, Blackburn and agreed to form a football club. The shirt would be styled on the design of the sports shirts of Malvern School (not Shrewsbury school) which was green and white quarters (referring to the whole shirt; two quarters on the front and two quarters on the back).

The green was to be replaced by Cambridge blue.

So which school did Lewis and Constantine attend? If it was Shrewsbury, how come the Malvern school shirt was chosen?

I notice the association football shirts of present day Malvern school have a maltese cross on the top right breast.

Very strange!

The orientation of the blue and white halves changed a few times in the years before the wars, not sure why though!

:rover:

It could be the reverse printing of the photographs. If there is nothing in the photograph to show it was printed wrongly (such as wording in the background) then it would go undetected.

I suspect it will all be lost in the mists of time.

I reckon the Shrewsbury thing is a red herring, and the only connection is that Lewis and Constantine were old boys.

If you look here: http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/BLACKBhargreavesF.htm you'll see that we had two Old Malvernians on the team, Fred Hargreaves is pictured wearing a cap with a Maltese Cross on it! Lends some credibility.

Shame there's no photos from the club's first season, but I love looking at the old pictures.

edit: incidentally, that spartacus site seems excellent.

Archived