BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Might Have Been Sold?

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is bloody ridiculous now.

All we want to know is does he have the cash he says he does, or not. It's simple. If the club have been diligent enough that they've checked and are happy, then for christ sake come out and tell us. Why not appease the fans? The silence on this subject worries me greatly - either he doesnt have the cash, or we've not bothered checking.

They need to tell us now. Not after the deal is done, not tomorrow, not next week, right bloody now.

Doin' my head in, this.

Sorry T4E, much as we are anxious about this whole business, it is not really our business to know whether he has the cash or not until he owns us.

The guy says he has the money.

So your real question is- is he a liar?

Put like that, there are a whole load of people hanging their professional reputations (and their chunky fee bills) on him not being a liar. Don't you think they will have done the odd sneaky check or two?

In the meantime, nicko has already posted:

"There is money to be seen in the books and in the banks."

Guest bluerovers

By the way, here's how Forbes compiles it's list...

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0329/billionaires-2010-wealth-estates-stocks-yachts-fortunes-methodology.html

I think Tony Gale's Mic will find it an interesting read as it seems perfectly feasible Mr Syed could have slipped through their methodology.

This bit is especially interesting....

"We list individual fortunes, rather than those shared among large multigenerational families such as the Rothschilds or Du Ponts"

..because Syed claims the $8bn is his family wealth no?

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0329/billionaires-2010-wealth-estates-stocks-yachts-fortunes-methodology.html

I think Tony Gale's Mic will find it an interesting read as it seems perfectly feasible Mr Syed could have slipped through their methodology.

"We list individual fortunes, rather than those shared among large multigenerational families such as the Rothschilds or Du Ponts"

I don't think its the fact that Syed is not in any rich list (obviously that is a slight issue).

It's more to do with the fact that no one has heard of him, or his family, before. Plus as he has no track record of anything which we are aware of, therefore we simply do not know what his genuine reasons are for wanting to buy our football club.

Sorry T4E, much as we are anxious about this whole business, it is not really our business to know whether he has the cash or not until he owns us.

The guy says he has the money.

So your real question is- is he a liar?

Put like that, there are a whole load of people hanging their professional reputations (and their chunky fee bills) on him not being a liar. Don't you think they will have done the odd sneaky check or two?

In the meantime, nicko has already posted:

"There is money to be seen in the books and in the banks."

Firstly, you've ignored the context that Nicko put that quote in. The way you've quoted it has lost its meaning.

Yes, the real question is most certainly "is he lying"? So far, there's enough evidence of mistruths and forgetfullness to make it a genuine possibility. As for Rothschilds - you have faith in them? Their track record in selling football clubs (including having ours on the market for several years) does not inspire confidence.

I'm utterly amazed at how blasé some of our fans are over this. Wait and see? By then it could be too late, and we could be on the road to ruin.

I'm sure the club would love the fans to be 100% behind this process - it's abundantly clear that we're not. If they can deal with that and appease us, why don't they? It suggests to me that they can't.

The easiest way to avoid being branded a liar is to not say anything at all. Ironically Mr Syed could have saved us all a lot of stress by realising this himself a few weeks ago.

Guest bluerovers

Yeah we do, he wants to take it as "passion", whether you believe that or not is another question...

I think the events over the past couple of weeks have at least proved one thing Mr Syed said if he is still interested...

"I'm not taking this as a PR vehicle"

You can't compare Syed to the Rothschilds in the dynastic sense. Look at Forbes' list for 2010, every fourth person listed is "and family".

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/10/billionaires-2010_The-Worlds-Billionaires_Rank.html

As Nicko rightly points out, I think the Rothschilds/Premier League would be concerned around how much of the apparent money available Syed has control over, and how much represents the collective wealth of the family.

Reading the new PL rules, the Syed team need a convincing set of reasons for why he did not know he had a County Court appearance. Given everything seems to be moving forwards for Syed right now, a reasonable guess is those reasons were informally put to the PL early last week and that waiting for the PL to respond was part of why we had to wait for the press release until Friday.

Presumably the People subs cut the missing parts from your report?

The Premier League are obviously aware of the possible takeover. But I don't think they have become invovled in the process at all.

The People used less of the story than they might have. We hoped to have a picture of someone at the game...but he didn't show. So we managed six pars instead. That's showbusiness.

I don't think any other paper has even touched on the subject - and yet we are 24 hours from a 'deadline' on a significant piece of history.

Hey ho.

For us, Maybe, but for fans of other clubs? It's my reckoning they couldn't give a stuff.

This is a big story. You are a Premier League club. There is potentially a new owner.

Better to be asking questions now than later - as a few pointed out before.

It is also the first time the Premier League have had to 'look' at a new owner since the Portsmouth disaster, they had a lot to answer for in that disaster...and the politicians are watching to see whether the Premier League can police themselves.

So, it SHOULD be of major interest.

This is a big story. You are a Premier League club. There is potentially a new owner.

It is also the first time the Premier League have had to 'look' at a new owner since the Portsmouth disaster, they had a lot to answer for in that disaster...and the politicians are watching to see whether the Premier League can police themselves.

"Should" being the operative word.

Maybe it's the guys I kick around with. Quite rightly, they're only interested in their club, and only bother about the Rovers when we beat them or do well.

You say Pompey disaster, which of the other foreign takeovers have been a success??

Also, what's changed out of interest - Big Sam said on Thursday that the takeover is doubtful, then all of a sudden it's back on, apparently...

The PL approving Royal Bank of Scotland as a fit and proper owner has gone all but totally unnoticed. Even putting LFC into the assets recovery division of RBS has scarcely registered.

It needs a good Catholic girl from Bolton to get the press interested these days.

The PL approving Royal Bank of Scotland as a fit and proper owner has gone all but totally unnoticed. Even putting LFC into the assets recovery division of RBS has scarcely registered.

It needs a good Catholic girl from Bolton to get the press interested these days.

Doesn't the Government own a slab of the RBS? Or is that getting too political?

Guest bluerovers

My Syed's proof of funds is in, that should appease nicko's frustrations :)

moniesq.png

Doesn't the Government own a slab of the RBS? Or is that getting too political?

No we do, as tax payers.

I can't see how Syed can pass a "fit and proper" test until the investigation by the Bahrain government is concluded.

This LT article talks about "The inquiry will focus on the company’s ‘source of funds’ and will seek a ‘clarification of transactions’, according to the spokesman."

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburnrovers/news/8365791.Blackburn_Rovers_bidder_s_firm_IS_suspended/?action=complain&cid=8744834

I reckon he has the money OK...........he just needs to prove that it's kosher. B)

I can't see how Syed can pass a "fit and proper" test until the investigation by the Bahrain government is concluded.

This LT article talks about "The inquiry will focus on the company's 'source of funds' and will seek a 'clarification of transactions', according to the spokesman."

http://www.lancashir...ain&cid=8744834

I reckon he has the money OK...........he just needs to prove that it's kosher. B)

All I can say is that Syed's team are still very much in talks...and in the country again.

Where the money is coming from is the key to all of this, as you say.

Their HQ seems to have moved from Bahrain to Swtzerland to London in recent weeks.

The People article also cut out the fact that I checked into their Swiss office. It exists. But according to someone who knows the building there are 'only ever a couple of people there.'

The London office is newly rented or bought. The company has just been made official over here - as someone very shrewdly pointed out a couple of days ago.

So the guy is obviously serious in his plans for expansion.

But there are questions still to be answered.

Archived