BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Might Have Been Sold?

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has said that it is family money that he has been given to invest, if this is a lie, in this day and age, it should be simple to find out otherwise.

Cant you make some calls about this?

I don't think this is easy. People who do business with Syed are bound by confidentiality clauses, he himself is vague about his history and apparently he is doing his deals from Switzerland now........you have Jack chance of discovering anything there!

I don't think this is easy. People who do business with Syed are bound by confidentiality clauses, he himself is vague about his history and apparently he is doing his deals from Switzerland now........you have Jack chance of discovering anything there!

Understood, but what is Nicko keep driving at "where the money came from"?

Does he think he is the Indian version of the Godfather? Didn't stop Chelsea.

Sure, Jack Walker did tremendously well for us. As Abromavich has done for Chelsea and as Man City seem to be on track for under the Sheik. Similarly Tottenham have done well under Levy, and Fulham under Al Fayed (both British citizens). West Ham don't seem to have done too well thus far under the smut twins, while Lerner has provided Villa with a substantial amount of investment, on and off the pitch.

My point is that it's the individual, not their nationality, that matters in how positive an impact an owner has. They need to surround themselves with a great administrative team who can run the club effectively, and appoint a management team to achieve on pitch success. They're one part of the puzzle, and to me their nationality is irrelevant, and to suggest otherwise is bordering on xenophobic in my mind.

Al Fayed..British???

Why would foreign investors be any different about understanding football or how a club should be run? Don't they play football and run football clubs in virtually every country in the world.

Peter Ridsdale and Leeds?

....And Cardiff for that matter.

Which ever way we look at it,any potential new owner will come under intense scrutiny from the trustees.As much as they want rid of the club,I don`t believe for one minute they would just sell to any Tom Dick or Ali.I doubt they would want to be responsible for the demise of Jack`s pride and joy.

Although I don`t have any faith in the Premier league`s `fit and proper` person`s test,I DO have faith that Uncle Jack`s relatives will do the RIGHT thing by Blackburn Rovers.

Understood, but what is Nicko keep driving at "where the money came from"?

Does he think he is the Indian version of the Godfather? Didn't stop Chelsea.

Hopefully Syed can convince all interested parties that his money is legitimately earned family money. The LT article I referenced earlier says about the Bahrain trading ban:

"It's only the same as what would happen here if our Government asked a company to cease trading activities whilst it confirms the legitimacy of funds.

I wouldn't say it is standard practice but to prevent money laundering and suchlike, such checks have to be made."

Here is a Bahrain perspective:

http://www.zawya.com/Story.cfm/sidZAWYA20100731054224/Bahrain%3A%20Money%20laundering%20cases%20on%20the%20rise

The question is more - is it family money that he is investing [as he has claimed] or is it not?

Would he not have to disclose this to either the trust or the prem, if the money is from somewhere other than family?

Any more on the Australians interest in Rovers?

It would be a pretty dumb money launderer who decided to wash £300m through ownership of an English PL club in the current climate!

With tonyoz, John and Tony Gale's Mic on the case, he'd be rumbled in no time! :)

I know nothing about what his finances are or the source of them - neither do you, even though you have been remarkably positive about Syed from when he first came on the scene so fair play to you for that.

Big Sam did not sound too positive about the takeover on Thursday, wonder why that was. He obviously needs to spend more time with you!

It would be a pretty dumb money launderer who decided to wash £300m through ownership of an English PL club in the current climate!

With tonyoz, John and Tony Gale's Mic on the case, he'd be rumbled in no time! :)

You are right and I don't think Ahsan Ali Syed is dumb at all. I think he is a very shrewd guy. Nevertheless, he is the only shareholder in WGA (which started with share capital of $53,000)and when he "dumps" over $1 billion into the company, it's not surprising that it raises a few questions.

Guest bluerovers

Mr Syed is very confident he can prove he has $1 billion and exactly where it came from. In fact he's printed the email out he got from the Nigerian Brigadier that promised him the funds in exchange for his bank details.... He's paid the £5000 admin fee so the monies should be wired to him in the next few days

Fulham

Manchester City

Chelsea

QPR

Fair point however there is also a pretty long list of ones which have been suspect/poor - plus those clubs have faced major financial problems or could do so in the near future, therefore the severity outweighs those deemed to be a marginal success, hence more scrutiny over the fit and proper person test.

Birmingham

Would not be so sure about that one, yet.

can you give some examples of a way a football club should be run then, . . .

Wouldn't have a clue, personally. And I agree with you that its more about the character of the owner than their nationality.

IMO (which I have despite not being an 'expert'), I hope the new ownes, if any[1], Syed or otherwise, keep JW and Sam in position. They are solid and I would not want to sow confusion in management as my first order of business. I hope the new owners plance an emphasis on a sustainable, self-sufficient budget (wages, administration and maintenance) except for transfer fees. I hope the new owner throws in between 10-20 million/year in transfer fees to the club. Too much cash is to be avoided as it can posion a Club's spirit. And moderate cash injections would ensure no sudden changes, but would be enough that significant improvements can be expected with 2-4 player acquisitions a year. A good number of those should be from the market(s) we are trying to expand the brand into (Japan, Korea, China, India, USA, etc.). No superstars, though if I were to go that route I would be looking for a Donovan, not a Beckham. I hope a strong emphasis is placed on, and much needed cash injected into, our Academy system. Finally, improving and expanding on the Rovers physical assets should be a priority.

If I were a multi-billionaire buying the Rovers, that would be my game plan. In my inexpert opinion.

[1] Fixed as bennyboy11 correctly pointed out below that I was premature. Which more than a few girlfriends have also mentioned, though I haven't a clue as to what they meant. ;)

A different way of phrasing it is that they have no experience of running a football club.

As I said the examples are out there, you can't deny the fact that some of those clubs have faced horrific experiences and some of them will do in the future.

Hopefully we would be different...

Hopefully he will leave the present management team intact, and with his finacial backing and their knowledge and experience "the job's a good 'un" as they say in "Blegb'rn";)

Wouldn't have a clue, personally. And I agree with you that its more about the character of the owner than their nationality.

IMO (which I have despite not being an 'expert'), I hope the new ownes, if any[1], Syed or otherwise, keep JW and Sam in position. They are solid and I would not want to sow confusion in management as my first order of business. I hope the new owners plance an emphasis on a sustainable, self-sufficient budget (wages, administration and maintenance) except for transfer fees. I hope the new owner throws in between 10-20 million/year in transfer fees to the club. Too much cash is to be avoided as it can posion a Club's spirit. And moderate cash injections would ensure no sudden changes, but would be enough that significant improvements can be expected with 2-4 player acquisitions a year. A good number of those should be from the market(s) we are trying to expand the brand into (Japan, Korea, China, India, USA, etc.). No superstars, though if I were to go that route I would be looking for a Donovan, not a Beckham. I hope a strong emphasis is placed on, and much needed cash injected into, our Academy system. Finally, improving and expanding on the Rovers physical assets should be a priority.

If I were a multi-billionaire buying the Rovers, that would be my game plan. In my inexpert opinion.

Donovan would be one of the signings i would make in January IF the takeover happen with maybe one more signing aswell. Also he must keep JW and Big Sam at the club, and expand the brand BRFC into the Far East, USA, Australia to increase marketing and sponsorship money into the club, increase the turnover of the club. Also invest in the ground, training ground and the Academy system and facilities.

Fulham

Manchester City

Chelsea

QPR

Of these quoted, I am interested in looking very quickly at Fulham.

They were nowhere when Al Fayed took over, with no possibality of getting into the top division, so I am sure their fans will be, and should be, delighted with him.

However, he's in his late 70's so we can only speculate what will happen when he dies.

We have been in that position for 10 years. The Trust have done an excellent job, in my view of running us.

Will Al Fayed have a similar interest in his club? Indeed, will he want to cash in and sell the club? I would imagine it would be very hard to find someone to take over who will take nothing out of the club as I imagine has been the case with the present owner.

Why concern until we know the result ?

If he can prove he got the money whats the problem then ??

I think there is a little more to it than that. It actually does matter where he got it from, and how he got it.

It has to proved conclusively that the money is 100% legitamate, and not the laundered proceeds of anything remotely dodgy.

Archived