BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Waggys Tales

waggy

:rover: found a wonderfull book in blackburn library yesterday,mostly about waggy's time at wolves but there are 2 great chapters of his time at ewood.one story was that they played at fulham and spent the night in soho,were billy bancroft put his hand in his pocket and treated david to the biggest chested woman in the bar.tne club's canteen was at graham and browns,or the changing rooms were stuart metclfe had to do the chippy run.waggy won the player of the year whilst at ewood,also played his 500th game in the league,he also holds a entry in the guiness book of records,anyone know what for. :blush::brfc:

:rover: correct den versus who :blink::brfc:

I got that without Googling as well Waggy. Don't know who it was against, but a wild guess - Norwich?

BTW, Waggy was fantastic. Fabulous footballer. Probably better than Duff on his day.

I got that without Googling as well Waggy. Don't know who it was against, but a wild guess - Norwich?

BTW, Waggy was fantastic. Fabulous footballer. Probably better than Duff on his day.

Was it Charlton? Or was is Stoke? Or was it Stoke where he knocked out the ref? :wacko:

:rover: found a wonderfull book in blackburn library yesterday,mostly about waggy's time at wolves but there are 2 great chapters of his time at ewood.one story was that they played at fulham and spent the night in soho,were billy bancroft put his hand in his pocket and treated david to the biggest chested woman in the bar.tne club's canteen was at graham and browns,or the changing rooms were stuart metclfe had to do the chippy run.waggy won the player of the year whilst at ewood,also played his 500th game in the league,he also holds a entry in the guiness book of records,anyone know what for. :blush::brfc:

Can somebody translate, grammatise and punctuate the above please for me?

So I can then possibly comment on what it says!

;-)

;-)

Don't be an arse.

:rover: correct den versus who :blink::brfc:

I had this question in a pub quiz a few years ago. Got it wrong then, but if I remember correctly it was definitely a London team. So I'm going for Charlton, Chelsea, Orient, Millwall or QPR.

;-)

JHC!!!!!!

This is why I don't post as much..PAFETIK.

I bet there are people on here who don't even know who waggy was.

Waggy had the sweetest left foot I have ever seen, he could hit a ball from the left touchline and Gordon Taylor on the right didnt have to move, dropped straight at his feet, every time.

Waggy also dropped the shoulder and would cut inside for a strike on goal and he could shoot too, one of my favourite Rovers players.

Did he buy a guest house in Blackpool?

My favourite memory of Waggy was the way he could hit a 30 yard plus ball into space behind the defence with back spin so it would stop for the player running through the channel to collect it. Quite a few defenders ended up embarassed by the ball whizzing past them , not turning to chase it only for Gordon Taylor to collect it in acres of space. Taylor was a very decent player for us as well but if I remember correctly never scored a single goal for us.

Undoubtedly in Waggy's short stay with us we played the best football of our wilderness years. Waggy was a genius, and together with Taylor, Hird and Bailey, we were deadly down the wings. If we had had a half-decent centre forward we would have gone up to the top tier.

Even without any of that, Waggy would deserve sainthood for scoring the first at the Dingledome on Boxing Day, burying the hoodoo of our temporary 11-year subservience to the trolls, though as I recall he almost delayed too long before rounding Stephenson.

My favourite memory of Waggy was the way he could hit a 30 yard plus ball into space behind the defence with back spin so it would stop for the player running through the channel to collect it. Quite a few defenders ended up embarassed by the ball whizzing past them , not turning to chase it only for Gordon Taylor to collect it in acres of space. Taylor was a very decent player for us as well but if I remember correctly never scored a single goal for us.

You're wrong Philip. Gordon Taylor scored three goals for us in 64 appearances - away at Fulham on 24/4/76, away at Bolton on 4/10/77 and away at Charlton on 4/3/78. Maybe it was no goals at Ewood you were remembering?

Undoubtedly in Waggy's short stay with us we played the best football of our wilderness years. Waggy was a genius, and together with Taylor, Hird and Bailey, we were deadly down the wings. If we had had a half-decent centre forward we would have gone up to the top tier.

Even without any of that, Waggy would deserve sainthood for scoring the first at the Dingledome on Boxing Day, burying the hoodoo of our temporary 11-year subservience to the trolls, though as I recall he almost delayed too long before rounding Stephenson.

I remember that we played with wingers in both full back positions, plus two wingers in their normal position. Gordon Taylor was the right winger then?

Hird and Bailey were both converted wingers, and sometimes it showed in their defending.

Bailey was brilliant in his pomp, a better left back than Kenny Sansom who of course was the England regular because he played for Arsenal.

Plus ca change.

You're wrong Philip. Gordon Taylor scored three goals for us in 64 appearances - away at Fulham on 24/4/76, away at Bolton on 4/10/77 and away at Charlton on 4/3/78. Maybe it was no goals at Ewood you were remembering?

Thanks for the correction! Daft thing is I was at that Bolton game...

Thanks for the correction! Daft thing is I was at that Bolton game...

Seem to recall we lost 4-2, Taylors goal was rather overshadowed by a 40yd screamer from John Waddington.

As for Waggy - one of the best long passers I've had the privilege of watching, diagonal balls from deep in his own half into the path of Taylor or more often Hird steaming forward from right back. As as already been said that was a great team to watch and more entertaining than the current fare. It gives the lie to the argument about the long ball game when played well it can be superb but its not the same as hoofball!

Agreed, that Jim Smith team were up there as the best equal Rovers side to watch for entertainment in my time of going to Rovers. I used to pinch myself to remind myself that it really was the Rovers as we tore into opponents.

Good point about that John Waddington screamer of a goal at Burnden taking the gloss off Taylor's effort. I think Taylor poached his in the centre of the goal after the trotters defence had been dragged all over the place- scored at the opposite end from us.

Agreed, that Jim Smith team were up there as the best equal Rovers side to watch for entertainment in my time of going to Rovers. I used to pinch myself to remind myself that it really was the Rovers as we tore into opponents.

Good point about that John Waddington screamer of a goal at Burnden taking the gloss off Taylor's effort. I think Taylor poached his in the centre of the goal after the trotters defence had been dragged all over the place- scored at the opposite end from us.

My main recollection other than Frank Worthington pulling us all over the place was inadvertently getting in the wrong bit of the ground and being surrounded by Bolton supporters - not good ! :wacko:

I remember that we played with wingers in both full back positions, plus two wingers in their normal position. Gordon Taylor was the right winger then?

He was. Not a patch on Waggy as I recall, had few if any tricks but did a good job taking his marker inside and opening it up for Hird. Who was our centre forward then - Craig?

He was. Not a patch on Waggy as I recall, had few if any tricks but did a good job taking his marker inside and opening it up for Hird. Who was our centre forward then - Craig?

Beamo?

I think there were a few - thats what really held us back and made the difference between promotion and missing out

Beamo though did score just about the best goal I've ever seen at Ewood with that line up think it was against Luton 76 or 77 anyone else remember it?

Seem to think it went Faz somewhere near his own corner flag to Metcalfe to Parkes to Hird on the overlap from full back, clipped cross near post Beamo on the volley - back of net about 6 touches end to end- I often wonder if he miss hit it being Beamo! They were very good on the eye butjust lacking up front.

Archived