BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Waggys Tales

waggy

Beamo?

I think there were a few - thats what really held us back and made the difference between promotion and missing out

Beamo though did score just about the best goal I've ever seen at Ewood with that line up think it was against Luton 76 or 77 anyone else remember it?

Seem to think it went Faz somewhere near his own corner flag to Metcalfe to Parkes to Hird on the overlap from full back, clipped cross near post Beamo on the volley - back of net about 6 touches end to end- I often wonder if he miss hit it being Beamo! They were very good on the eye butjust lacking up front.

Still my best goal I have seen the Rovers score. I think it was John Aston on the overlap who crossed it to Beamo. The crowd's reaction was shocked silence before the cheer.

Still my best goal I have seen the Rovers score. I think it was John Aston on the overlap who crossed it to Beamo. The crowd's reaction was shocked silence before the cheer.

Glad it wasn't just me that remembered it - beginning to think I'd dreamt it. Fairly sure it was Hird - didn't Aston play on the left for us - remember him as a big let down. Surely some of our more senior members can enlighten us assuming they have remembered to take their pills this morning......... :rolleyes:

Beamo?

I think there were a few - thats what really held us back and made the difference between promotion and missing out

Beamo though did score just about the best goal I've ever seen at Ewood with that line up think it was against Luton 76 or 77 anyone else remember it?

Seem to think it went Faz somewhere near his own corner flag to Metcalfe to Parkes to Hird on the overlap from full back, clipped cross near post Beamo on the volley - back of net about 6 touches end to end- I often wonder if he miss hit it being Beamo! They were very good on the eye butjust lacking up front.

My Mike Jackman book is working overtime today - 1st April 1976 - third goal in a 3-0 win.

Incidentally in checking the above I saw that we beat Luton at home 1-0 the season after with a goal from a P D Silvester. I must be getting old as I can't remember him at all. He played 5 games in the 76-77 season with just the one goal.

My Mike Jackman book is working overtime today - 1st April 1976 - third goal in a 3-0 win.

Incidentally in checking the above I saw that we beat Luton at home 1-0 the season after with a goal from a P D Silvester. I must be getting old as I can't remember him at all. He played 5 games in the 76-77 season with just the one goal.

Would that be Peter Silvester who we had on loan from Peterbrough?

Couldn't have been Aston then - he was Iley's 'big' signing to replace the irreplaceable Waggy a couple of years later. Agreed it was the best Ewood goal I have seen.

And wasn't Taylor replaced soon after by Noel? My gosh, we were spoiled for entertainers under Jim Smith, apart from up front that is.

Undoubtedly in Waggy's short stay with us we played the best football of our wilderness years. Waggy was a genius, and together with Taylor, Hird and Bailey, we were deadly down the wings. If we had had a half-decent centre forward we would have gone up to the top tier.

I cant rem who Smith wanted to go for but we couldn't afford whoever it was (but I think whoever it was was turned out to be a gud un) and ended up with big fat alecan John Radford from the Arse who was by then well into his retirement comfort zone. Sat on a stool at the bar in the Clog and Billycock virtually every weekday night.

Nowt much changes does it?

I cant rem who Smith wanted to go for but we couldn't afford whoever it was (but I think whoever it was was turned out to be a gud un) and ended up with big fat alecan John Radford from the Arse who was by then well into his retirement comfort zone. Sat on a stool at the bar in the Clog and Billycock virtually every weekday night.

Nowt much changes does it?

Steve Kindon?

I remember that we played with wingers in both full back positions, plus two wingers in their normal position. Gordon Taylor was the right winger then?

Kevin Hird is a close friend of mine, we grew up together and played together for a while, he said Keeley and Faz used to have babies when he and Bailey pushed forward!!

Steve Kindon?

Yes it was Steve Kindon from Wolves, I asked Steve (he was at Graham Lloyds testimonial dinner a few years ago) if he would have joined Rovers, being an ex Burnley man, he said he would have walked there!!

My old man knew one or two folk who were close to the club and The Telegraph and I remember him telling me that Rovers were about to spend big on a well known striker and it was Steve Kindon of Wolves who was a very decent first division striker at the time. Next thing he had signed for Burnley who had gazumped us. Kindon then became a bit of a thorn in our side and I think he notched against us a couple on a couple of occasions(?) I was a young kid at the time but remember Kindon as being a big, quick and mobile striker who knew where the back of the net was. Who knows were Smith's team would have been if the board had backed their man. Smith, of course, later left for an ambitious club.

Twas ever thus.

My main recollection other than Frank Worthington pulling us all over the place was inadvertently getting in the wrong bit of the ground and being surrounded by Bolton supporters - not good ! :wacko:

Worthington netted again the following season (77- 78??) at Ewood to give Bolton promotion.

Can anyone spot the link between the two clubs below?, easy one really.

SA.jpg

I remember that we played with wingers in both full back positions, plus two wingers in their normal position. Gordon Taylor was the right winger then?

Besides those four wingers, I recall us playing another in the team along side them, making a starting eleven with five wingers.

Was it any wonder Jim Smiths team was a joy to watch.

My old man knew one or two folk who were close to the club and The Telegraph and I remember him telling me that Rovers were about to spend big on a well known striker and it was Steve Kindon of Wolves who was a very decent first division striker at the time. Next thing he had signed for Burnley who had gazumped us. Kindon then became a bit of a thorn in our side and I think he notched against us a couple on a couple of occasions(?) I was a young kid at the time but remember Kindon as being a big, quick and mobile striker who knew where the back of the net was. Who knows were Smith's team would have been if the board had backed their man. Smith, of course, later left for an ambitious club.

Twas ever thus.

I think it was Steve Kindon who was told he had the boy of a thoroughbred, legs of a racehorse and brains of a rocking horse!!

For a big man he was born with a really bad lisp, then they called him Steven (Theeven) lol

I was at that Leyton Orient game where Waggy got the first ever red card. We took one coach and I was on it, arriving at half time because of a 'bit of trouble' on the way down. We drew them away in the FA Cup either the same season or one either side and we took the Ewood Express. A bit of a difference in support. :brfc:

I was at that Leyton Orient game where Waggy got the first ever red card. We took one coach and I was on it, arriving at half time because of a 'bit of trouble' on the way down. We drew them away in the FA Cup either the same season or one either side and we took the Ewood Express. A bit of a difference in support. :brfc:

That would be the FA cup game we lost 3 - 1.

Owens ran a coach from Chorley. We were pished by the time we reached Birmingham. I had a bottle of Bacardi. There were bottles of every spirit known to man on that coach:lol:.

I got rugby tackled by a copper after the game.

Then the coach had a blow out on the way home and it wasn't carrying a spare. We had to wait until they ferried one down from Chorley.

Spent most of the night in Watford Gap services. Got home about 8am Sunday morning.

Ah, the good old days.

Twas ever thus.

Kindon started off at Burnley before going to Wolves and then returning a few years later.

Yes he did Kelbo. Don't know what it was called though.

:rover: waggy bought the BEACHHOLME in Bispham for the pricely sum of £17,500,not bad for 7 bedrooms.he later re-named the hotel QUEENSCLIFFE,David Brown supplied the wallpaper free of charge for the re-decoration,and later waggy bought steel from UNCLE JACK to build a extension.he sold up a few years later to become the steward at Bispham con club,before returning to wolverhampton to run the clubs social club,when the staduim was rebuilt he ran WAGGYS BAR,which is the equifilant of blues bar :rolleyes::brfcsmilie:

:rover: waggy bought the BEACHHOLME in Bispham for the pricely sum of £17,500,not bad for 7 bedrooms.he later re-named the hotel QUEENSCLIFFE,David Brown supplied the wallpaper free of charge for the re-decoration,and later waggy bought steel from UNCLE JACK to build a extension.he sold up a few years later to become the steward at Bispham con club,before returning to wolverhampton to run the clubs social club,when the staduim was rebuilt he ran WAGGYS BAR,which is the equifilant of blues bar :rolleyes::brfcsmilie:

Thanks for that Waggy.

:rover: whilst reading the book i've come across a few rovers titbits,on a pre-season tour of itreland waggy was rooming with graham hawkins,they got to there room and it consisted with a double and single bed,hawkins took the double leaving waggy with the single,a few minutes later there was a knock on the door,it was glenn keeley,who told them it was tree to a room,waggy said it was a sight watching them two share a double.it got me thinking,were killer keeley and hawkins at the rovers at the same time?has waggy got the players mixed up? :wacko::brfc:

• 1 month later...
:rover: eventually finished the book,it's back at blackburn library now,one story waggy told was when wolves were in europe,and they played juventus.cappello was playing for juve and he challenged phil parkes for the ball,the keeper wom it easily,then the england manager spat in his face,lovely bloke :wub::brfc:

• Guest changed the title to Waggys Tales

Archived