BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 28% Of Rovers' Fans May Not Renew Season Tickets

• Backroom

I'll be renewing even though I can't always attend.

I think the club has almost created a rod for it's own back with pricing, £200 is really low and it will have to go up at some point and you can bet when it does many will moan forgetting the fact that £200 was probably underpriced in the first place (not in relation to style, on a purely objective view)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know £200 is low - But Im not sure why we would need to increase price - TV money is on the up - we are currently finishing ahead of budgetted 13th and we have earned 2 extra TV games so far.

Last year cutting the price was expected to cost the club £1m....however given the new ST holders we actually increased income.

I say keep it low as possible & get more and more hooked before prices go up in a season or two. Its easier to justify if we are around 8th-10th in the league!!

Well, it was a survey of four thousand people, and when you consider election pollsters survey 1,000 people, it looks like a large sample to me and statistically sound. The survey is quoted as being well regarded.

So 'complete horse xxxxx', I think not.

Is this a survey of 4000 people from 20 clubs? If so it isn't very big at all.

If we want to take the political analysis farther this is the equivalent of the mid-term protest vote. Fans all over the country are disenchanted with aspects of the Premier League. However the aspect they despise most is the excessive cost of admission and this manifestly does not apply to us.

Anyway, we are now playing much better so I doubt we'll suffer much erosion of the fan base.

A Rovers season ticket costs less than £4 a week. I blow more than that every dinnertime. It's definitely affordable to the vast majority of people.

It is not just the season ticket price you have to think about. These days because of TV changes are made when games are played. You can no longer try to suit your work pattern to when games are played. Also Rovers have a lot of supporters who do not live in the Blackburn area, so travel costs have to be taken into consideration. Even those in the Blackburn area, who have children, have to find cover or child care especially for mid week games. Yes 4 quid a week does not sound a lot, but paying the price of a season ticket in one go for some is too much. There are many reasons if the 28% thing is true why people do not want to renew their season ticket.

Valuable family time may just be one and not money. A person working all week, with a family and maybe a partner who does not like football, may consider their time with their family more important than football - as should be the case. The working life for some has changed in many ways today. Some like myself have more than one job to make ends meet, which takes up time.

Some people may not renew a season ticket because they are sick and tired reading about the wages the players are earning - when they are struggling to make ends meet. To be honest it is my view that every single football supporter should be protesting about this.

I'd be astonished if Rovers lose a third of season ticket holders during the summer. This survey seems flimsy to say the least and provides an agenda suiting headline for some of the doom mongers and naysayers who have been predicting the demise of The Premier League for the past 17 years.

I reckon it's a load of old b0ll*cks.

Valuable family time may just be one and not money. A person working all week, with a family and maybe a partner who does not like football, may consider their time with their family more important than football - as should be the case.

Have a word with yourself! You should of made sure that football is part of the relationship and that she understood from the start - either like it & come along, or dont moan about it! :lol::lol:

Valuable family time may just be one and not money. A person working all week, with a family and maybe a partner who does not like football, may consider their time with their family more important than football - as should be the case. The working life for some has changed in many ways today. Some like myself have more than one job to make ends meet, which takes up time.

And then you have people like me who are the reverse. I come home to blackburn at weekend to see my family. These factors would all basically even themselves out. But this survey has to be across all football so wont be a decent amount of Rovers supports surveyed. If it was 4000 from each club someone on here would have filled it in.

Load of tosh, and anyway its "considering". What does that mean, press scaremongering at its worst. Stats can be made to say anything.

Well, it was a survey of four thousand people, and when you consider election pollsters survey 1,000 people, it looks like a large sample to me and statistically sound. The survey is quoted as being well regarded.

So 'complete horse xxxxx', I think not.

Think about it Paul.

4,000 people so divide by 20 clubs and we are at 200 per club.

There are 1,000 people who have contributed on this site in the last year and 5,000 members. So with 19,000 season ticket holders, 10 of our contributors and 50 members must have been surveyed if this thing were truly scientific and random.

Has anyone reading this been surveyed?

Now step back, the story is really part of the PR exercise by the Red Knights to oust the Glazers and they got the result they wanted. Did they really interview 200 per club???

And how did they select the people to be interviewed at each club?

Did they have access to each clubs' database of season ticket holders? Almost certainly not.

In other words it is worrying but the 28% figure is totally meaningless as is Rovers' relative position in the table. You live in Manchester, are 1 in every 2 Manc season ticket holders not renewing?

Think about it Paul.

4,000 people so divide by 20 clubs and we are at 200 per club.

There are 1,000 people who have contributed on this site in the last year and 5,000 members. So with 19,000 season ticket holders, 10 of our contributors and 50 members must have been surveyed if this thing were truly scientific and random.

Has anyone reading this been surveyed?

Now step back, the story is really part of the PR exercise by the Red Knights to oust the Glazers and they got the result they wanted. Did they really interview 200 per club???

And how did they select the people to be interviewed at each club?

Did they have access to each clubs' database of season ticket holders? Almost certainly not.

In other words it is worrying but the 28% figure is totally meaningless as is Rovers' relative position in the table. You live in Manchester, are 1 in every 2 Manc season ticket holders not renewing?

Completely agree. Probally did most of the survey at an FC United game

I know £200 is low - But Im not sure why we would need to increase price - TV money is on the up - we are currently finishing ahead of budgetted 13th and we have earned 2 extra TV games so far.

New owners would no doubt address that after the first 12 months I'd imagine.

Imo more and more will choose to watch on t'internet or in some pub tap room. The atmosphere isn't as good but it's easier and the £4 pw can be spent on beer.

Has the penny not dropped yet that we are not flogging a dead horse but rather a dying one?

You don't need a survey to tell you this - just overhearing comments and conversations in the stands and concourses and around the pubs etc tells its own story.

Amen to that, funny how people on here don't seem to hear the smae rumblings as we do?

I'll be renewing, but I know plenty that won't be.

New owners would no doubt address that after the first 12 months I'd imagine.

Imo more and more will choose to watch on t'internet or in some pub tap room. The atmosphere isn't as good but it's easier and the £4 pw can be spent on beer.

Has the penny not dropped yet that we are not flogging a dead horse but rather a dying one?

Don't be turning into another Waggy Gord!

rover.gif

It says are consider cancelling their season tickets. Do you not think that it is because people can not afford it. I have been given my notice at work. got 5 months to find a another job, so i can see why some may have to cancel the season tickets. Also people are having kids and the price of things are going up like petrol and food shopping so people have to take stock of what they can afford to spend.

We cant keep blaming Big Sam for this or the rovers board. Think the rovers board and chairman have been brillant with the fans for dropping the prices for season tickets by 100 pounds each. I think it should be knowledge that they try the best to keep prices down. Big Sam is just trying to do the best he can do within the financal climate that rovers find themselves in. As long we are in premiership and have a decent cup run i will be happy. SO STOP BLAMING BIG SAM. Yes i argee the football sometimes is not great but results matter more than style. We try to play attractive passing football under Paul Ince and it fail!!!

That would mean every club would have a very similar percentage?

You have to attend matches to hear the rumblings :P

Har har... I have a season ticket and I go to every home match and as many away matches as I can. As I said, nobody, not one single person, has said they are considering not having a season ticket next season.

Actually, its worse than that

"The research among more than 3,896 fans representing all 92 clubs in the Football League"

So its only 42.34 fans polled per club.

.34 of a fan, that must have been the dingle survey

biggrin.gif

Are you sure it isn't just Tris saying it several times in slightly different accents? biggrin.gif

I can't talk during games as I am rendered spechless by the unfolding and engaging spectacle being painted on the green canvas in front of me.

Oh, and Gav's usually propping the shelf up downstairs ...

Archived