BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Final England Squad

Ricky

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philip - agree with you except the experience factor. Rio has done it at all levels of club and International football, Dawson hasn't. One mistake and it could shatter his confidence for the rest of the tournament.

England's chances significantly boosted by Ferdinand's injury. Dawson a much better player on current form.

I agree. I would much rather the USA face Ferdinand than Dawson. Oh well, team USA will still pull through. B)

• Backroom

Why would Dawson come in to replace Ferdinand? Surely if he was going to be first back-up he would have been picked in the first 23. Upson or King will be selected to replace Rio and Dawson will I assume get a place on the bench.

Me neither.

Johnson Carragher Terry Cole.

Actually...two Liverpool players next to two Chelsea players. I never thought of that, could lend itself well to playing as a unit.

Anyway, point is that Carragher has played centre back with Johnson right back MANY times this season, Johnson can easily be selected.

Ferdinand is a liability as a defender, Terry, Carragher, Dawson, Upson etc are natural defenders, Ferdinand is not and without Vidic alongside him at Man U, he would have been exposed even more than he has!!

I think against Mexico, he was caught ball watching many times!

Why can't he be accommadated? I really don't understand that statement...

Both him and Cole bomb on. Before they had Ferdinand's pace to cover and get out wide quickly should he have to or to protect from the ball in behind. Now though The contenders to replace him all lack pace and are as slow as Terry, it will leave England very exposed to the quick counter attack even against the lesser teams. The defensive triangle that England will use now has no pace at all, it will be exploited.

The USA have good pace up front and you then have to decide whether you take the risk or play a more defensive minded player who will keep his position more. For me it will mean a slightly deeper back line and playing Jamie who won't get caught out of position because he's bombed on.

Donovan is quick, very quick he will be a serious threat on the break. Its alright putting them in a straight line on here but this senario will happen:

------------King----Terry-----------

----------------Barry---------------

Balls wide and in behind, with Donovan chasing them of their shoulders or level, and the winner is?

Donovan everytime.

The answer is simple: if it looks as though we might get caught on the counter, or the other side has a lot of pace, just instruct our full backs not to bomb on. Against the lesser teams, however, I think it's actually important to have two attack-minded full backs.

LeChuck also makes a good point, the Chelsea / Liverpool back line could work really well.

Finally, I know Ferdinand isn't slow, but I've never thought of him as being particularly pacey. Centre backs don't need to be overly quick as long as they can read the game well. Henchoz and Hypiia (sp) were a great example of that. Carragher and Terry will be a good combination and both have masses of experience at the highest level.

Donovan could out run any central defender, not just ours. Even central defenders considered to have pace are no match for fast strikers; if they get wrong side then they're not catching them.

It's all about positional sense, and luckily Terry and Carragher are pretty good at that. A lot of clubs play with attacking full backs, if we're seriously changing our team because of one fast USA player then we might as well give up.

Its not as simple as don't bomb on Johnson, he doesn't play that way never has and never will, autopilot will come on.

Ferdinand may not be lightening but he most certainly has pace, combine that with good positioning and he'll match any lightening player, the others won't.

Positioning is important but Johnson has no positional sense and will be exposed. He's been exposed time and again playing for Liverpool this season especially against strong quick wingers as he's far too keen to get forward.

Donovan's not the only quick player the USA have in their front line I was merely using him as an example, Beasley, Findley, Altidore, are all quicker than any of England's centre backs. They will cause planty of problems.

The USA play lots down the flanks with Beasley and Donovan running rings round most, So I'd rather have Carragher at right back for that one as he does have the positional sense your talking about.

The USA are a far stronger team than I think most on here are giving them credit for, as I seem to remember them defeating Spain 2-0 not that long ago. England will have to stop their attacking threat, not just go and play the England game.

If it weren't for who England have as boss, USA would be my marginal favourites to win that World Cup opener.

As it is England are in the hands of someone who knows how to make advantages count so it will be a tough ground out win for England and not very pretty.

He should have said yes straight away.

Not only did he retire from England he wants a specific amount of time to decide whether or not to come out of retirement. I think he would have been very useful in our midfield but there is no point him talking about it now.

If it weren't for who England have as boss, USA would be my marginal favourites to win that World Cup opener.

As it is England are in the hands of someone who knows how to make advantages count so it will be a tough ground out win for England and not very pretty.

Think you're massively overhyping the US here. Granted if McLaren was in charge it would be a different story but put our other England managers in charge and we'd still quite comfortably be favourites.

They have absolutely no one up front for starters. They're praying on the fitness of Altidore. Granted they are more than the sum of their parts but with anyone else in charge us losing would still be a big shock.

Scholes would have accepted England call if asked sooner.

Gutted, he would have been brilliant for us.

He would have been a fringe player, has been good for United but couldnt see him getting that many minutes.

I agree TGM.

I really don't understand this USA hype, they are an improving team of course, but on a par with England no way. Just look at player for player comparison, it's laughable really. Of course, if we take our eye off the ball (literally) then USA could win, but that is the case when playing any team at the WC.

I was reading today that Jay DeMerit could start against England, having just been released by Watford; I rest my case.

I predict at least a 2 goal win. (Remember our performance in the qualifying campaign, we have nothing to fear).

He should have said yes straight away.

Not only did he retire from England he wants a specific amount of time to decide whether or not to come out of retirement. I think he would have been very useful in our midfield but there is no point him talking about it now.

He said he didn't want to come in at such a late stage and take a place from someone who had worked the through the whole qualifying phase.

Whatever picture you're trying to paint of Scholes there is very unjust, he's one of few honourable and decent people at that level.

He would have been a fringe player, has been good for United but couldnt see him getting that many minutes.

I honestly don't think Barry would have gone if he Scholes was in.

In his new 'holding' role (although in the same way Tugay was a holding player), he would have been perfect alongside a forward running midfielder.

I agree TGM.

I really don't understand this USA hype, they are an improving team of course, but on a par with England no way. Just look at player for player comparison, it's laughable really. Of course, if we take our eye off the ball (literally) then USA could win, but that is the case when playing any team at the WC.

I was reading today that Jay DeMerit could start against England, having just been released by Watford; I rest my case.

I predict at least a 2 goal win. (Remember our performance in the qualifying campaign, we have nothing to fear).

I'm not sure a side containing the likes of Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan and Oguchi Onyewu can be described as 'laughable'. That said, they'll be having a really good day (and England a really bad one) if they take the 3 points. It'll be a physical game and I can only see England's obvious superiority carrying them through with ease. I can't imagine Rooney will have much trouble with Jay DeMerit.

I don't find their players laughable, I find it laughable that people are so worried.

I wasn't worried when we played away in Croatia, so I'm not worried about the USA.

A quick google also shows that in qualifying they lost to Mexico, Cuba and Costa Rica and drew with El Salvador.....

No ... in qualifying we lost a meaningless game to Trinidad and Tobago in phase 3, then lost to Costa Rica and Mexico away in the final round of qualifying. We also drew with Costa Rica at home and El Salvador away.

Wayne Rooney warned to control temper

"The referee from England's warm-up game has warned Wayne Rooney to "control his temper" or risk being sent off in the World Cup, which starts on Friday.

Rooney was booked in Monday's 3-0 win over Platinum Stars and match official Jeff Selogilwe claimed the striker insulted him with "vulgar language".

Selogilwe said: "He must learn to control his temper. He could get sent off in the World Cup."

Archived