SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Group C Discussion - Algeria, England, Slovenia, Usa

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

A few times heskey won headers and put them into decent areas but instead of chasing Rooney just threw his arms in the air in a sulk.

We need him on form if we are to succeed

Same shít, different tournament. So much for "our Messi" as well, completely anonymous.

He was playing so deep yesterday practically a midfielder. I just don't see where the goals are coming from in the way they played last night. Lampard holding what a waste, lennon's pace never really used effectively always to his feet. SWP don't make me laugh where was Joe Cole? Rooney should be the focal point not Heskey there isn't a single player in the squad with a decent cross so play more on the floor and work it into positions.

It is only the first game though and if it hadn't been for super Green you would have nicked a 1-0, with a poor performance for me. A few changes and you've still got a chance.

I was surprised at the amount of errors Capello made. Green's mistake wasn't his fault at all but I do think we should have had the keeper issue sorted a long time ago. SWP is and always has been woeful for England and shouldnt be anywhere near the squad, let alone to come on as a first half substitute when we have Joe Cole waiting in the wings who has consistently raised his game when playing in an England shirt.

We played alright yesterday, second half it was pretty much us on the attack the whole time apart from the Altidore chance. Looked a lot worse when Crouch came on as everyone just looked to punt the ball up to the big man which then made Rooney even more irrelevant. Heskey's miss was pretty poor but his lay off for the goal was good.

Next game if Barry is fit I'd either have a midfield of Cole, Lampard, Barry, Lennon and play Gerrard behind Rooney, or put Barry and Gerrard in the middle and drop Lampard.

Remember Italy drew 1-1 with the USA last time round and even had 10 men vs USA's 9 men as far as I recall. It's just the first game and performance wise I think we were considerably better than when we played Paraguay in the first game of 2006 when we hardly created any kind of openings and won with a very lucky own goal.

I had two major gripes with the final 23-man squad. The first was that Green shouldn't start and that James should, and the other was that we shouldn't have brought King because he was completely unreliable. First game of the competition and Green messes up badly and King goes off at half time. It was very predictable.

Otherwise, I thought we played reasonably well, and far better in the second half than the first, but we still give the ball way and lump it forward needlessly, and we didn't finish our chances.

Fair play to the US though, they defended very well. Hopefully they'll drop a few points in the next two games and we'll still top our group.

He was playing so deep yesterday practically a midfielder. I just don't see where the goals are coming from in the way they played last night. Lampard holding what a waste, lennon's pace never really used effectively always to his feet. SWP don't make me laugh where was Joe Cole? Rooney should be the focal point not Heskey there isn't a single player in the squad with a decent cross so play more on the floor and work it into positions.

It is only the first game though and if it hadn't been for super Green you would have nicked a 1-0, with a poor performance for me. A few changes and you've still got a chance.

Rooney is anything but a target man, he plays in the hole for England he said that in an interview before the game, no wonder Paddy Power would refund certain bets if he scored ;) It was difficult for him, they crowded him out at every opportunity. Heskey was one of our best players yesterday but Crouch can do the same and score goals, he should be the 'focal point' in my opinion, although Heskey deserves to keep his place against Algeria.

I think the commentators said Joe Cole had a stomach bug, why was he on the bench you may ask, Barry was too but wasn't 100% fit, he did take a risk with Milner and King though, which was bizarre.

Rooney is anything but a target man, he plays in the hole for England he said that in an interview before the game, no wonder Paddy Power would refund certain bets if he scored ;) It was difficult for him, they crowded him out at every opportunity. Heskey was one of our best players yesterday but Crouch can do the same and score goals, he should be the 'focal point' in my opinion, although Heskey deserves to keep his place against Algeria.

The main difference is that Heskey is strong, can link up and create space. That's why when Heskey's on we tend to play it along the ground a lot more. Crouch can put the ball in the net but isn't so good at the other things so we always seem to just punt it up to him and hope for the best. Overall I think we looked a lot more threatening before the Heskey/Crouch substitution.

The main difference is that Heskey is strong, can link up and create space. That's why when Heskey's on we tend to play it along the ground a lot more. Crouch can put the ball in the net but isn't so good at the other things so we always seem to just punt it up to him and hope for the best. Overall I think we looked a lot more threatening before the Heskey/Crouch substitution.

21 goals in 39 appearances for England says it all, Heskey was good and won pretty much everything in the air and set up the goal but Crouch would have done the same and one on one he would have probably scored. Crouch does get penalised a lot but Heskey was caught offside too often, which was equally as frustrating. He deserves to keep his place, against Algeria the Heskey and Rooney partnership will work.

On the evidence of Algeria v Slovenia so far, we can think ourselves incredibly lucky to be in a group with two technically poor opponents.

A really shocking game. I was expecting a bit more from teams, especially as if one of them were to win, they would go top.

Algeria down to ten men. Doubt it will change the game much, though. Slovenia should be taking this now, or at least going for it.

You beat me to it, this game is absolute rubbish.

• Backroom

One nil Slovenia nearly as bad an error as greens there

Not bad for England as Slovenia are poor and won't cause us any problems

Awful goalkeeping. You can tell he's a bit erratic with the silly punches he's been making today.

Slovenia are one of three teams I've got in the sweep so I'll take this :D

I've got Algeria.

There is a prize for the team which concede the most goals in the group stages! :tu:

Green in goal for Algeria by the look of things.

I'd be seriously cheesed off if I'd paid to go to South Africa and been allocated that steaming pile of a game. Those were two of the most technically inept sides I have seen in a long time.

I fancy the Americans will put a bagful past both of them- can England put them to the sword?

My starting line up for England's next match...

----------- James ------------

Johnson - Carra - Terry - Cole

----------- Barry ------------

Lennon ---------------- J Cole

----- Gerrard -- Lampard -----

----------- Rooney -----------

Let's go for it!

He was playing so deep yesterday practically a midfielder. I just don't see where the goals are coming from in the way they played last night. Lampard holding what a waste, lennon's pace never really used effectively always to his feet.

In fairness to Lennon most of our threats came down the right. Unfortunately crosses were either cut out by good defending or Rooney and Heskey were 'in line' either too far in or too far out. The player on the back post really should ensure that doesn't happen. Yet again our left wing is offering nothing unless we play our most creative central midfielder there which is obviously a far from perfect situation.

My starting line up for England's next match...

----------- James ------------

Johnson - Carra - Terry - Cole

----------- Barry ------------

Lennon ---------------- J Cole

----- Gerrard -- Lampard -----

----------- Rooney -----------

Let's go for it!

Thats odd Jisty! Has SteB done one of those board thingy's where when you spell Milner it appears as Lampard? He must have cos currently Frank is Englands Keith.

Thats odd Jisty! Has SteB done one of those board thingy's where when you spell Milner it appears as Lampard? He must have cos currently Frank is Englands Keith.

I'll do you a deal, I'll swap Lennon for Milner. Frank playing in a holding role is probably what brings out the Keith in him.

So I'm not the only one that notices this then? Thank god, I thought I was going insane. The commentators yesterday had a complete blind spot to Lampard's ineffectiveness, and have done for a while. He's a very good Premier League player, but his game doesn't translate to the international level.

Archived