SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Group C Discussion - Algeria, England, Slovenia, Usa

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

The USA set out their stall against us. They obviously thought they would be able to beat Slovenia but have messed it up. Not totally unexpected. It now means we are guaranteed to top the group if we win our remaining two games.

I don't think that's necassarily true. They played a little more defensively but we got behind them a few times, it was possible to unlock them. We just completely messed up 2 of our big 3 chances to score and didn't look very creative otherwise - lumping it up to Heskey in the first half for the flick-on wasn't really challenging the USA defensively. Second half we tried to play more on the wing but SWP and Lennon were really, really poor. Slovenia have played good football on the ground and taken their chances, two things we failed to do.

Although, if USA had equalised when they were heaping pressure on Slovenia around the 30 minute mark this could be a very different game.

USA throwing on their final substitute with only 10 minutes left to play with Onyewu being replaced. I think that's 4 strikers on now. They're throwing the kitchen sink!

GOAL to the USA!

Goal disallowed by the US. I haven't got a clue why though. Crazy decision which could cost the US the victory.

• Backroom

Is there a more tragic sentence?

Makes perfect sense to me, drop the keeper that lost us 2 points and start with our best player from the last game

Makes perfect sense to me, drop the keeper that lost us 2 points and start with our best player from the last game

Yeah, Calamity James and Golden Boot Heskey are both reasons for cheer.

So two games today decided on quite ropy refereeing decisions; that USA one looked to me like the ref was desperately looking for any reason to blow his whistle. The Germany one looked like just weak mindedness, but it's still a game whose result has been decided by officiousness.

This is why I don't go to games any more. The authorities have clearly decided that absurd unfairness is all part of the fun. That's fine, but in that case I won't invest too much time, money or heartache then.

Not sure what the answer is, but you either need to make it harder for refs to send people off, or you make the punishment less decisively severe (a sin bin or similar). As it is we're in for another tournament where major teams and players are stiffed by idiocy, and apologies afterwards are no use.

SSN giving the team as

James

Johnson

Terry

Carragher

A. Cole

Lennon

Lampard

Barry

Gerrard

Rooney

Heskey

Yep. This is the exact team I expected to see, and it is the worst possible one he could have picked. James is as error-prone as Green. Carragher will get himself sent off. Gerrard has never played a good game in his life on the left. And Heskey is the most useless player from all the squads in this entire tournament.

• Backroom

I don't like carragher being in there but we are low on options and tonight should be easy enough for him anyway. Otherwise that's what I'd go for.

Well I suddenly find myself excited by the prospect of this game. Hopefully it will be an exciting night. Looks like a lot of England fans there.

Archived