BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Group C Discussion - Algeria, England, Slovenia, Usa

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest smoss, that cover just shows the gap between England and USA - from a USA perspective. A rather fortunate draw given the nature of the equaliser and it's seen as a massive achievement on your side of the pond.

The irony is that for us English, the draw was seen as a defeat. So I guess we're all in agreement. :tu:

I stand by my Lampard comment though. Play him as a holding midfielder and you get... Andrews. (Andrews is also played out of position, of course. He should be watching from the stands, yet he keeps finding himself in the team!)

What do managers see in Lampard? I don't get it. He's so anodyne and vastly over-rated.

What? Any midfielder that scores 20 odd goals a sesaon for the last 48 seasons cannot be described as over-rated. And yes i know he scores a few penalties a season but he still has to score them. He has been voted by his peers as the Premier League player of the decade.

Build the team around him, like they have at Chelsea over the last 6 or 7 seasons and you see how good he is. Thats why he doesnt perform as well for England. Build the midfield around him, play Rooney on his own up front and we would be so much better than we are now.

I feel like an England supporter. Fully expecting the US to find a way to muck it up on Friday, as we tend to do against poor opposition in major tournaments (WC and Confed Cup). Even when we qualify for the knockout stages, we need help from elsewhere.

I'm sure Carlo Ancelotti could provide you with some positives. Lampard may be blah for England but he's fantastic at Chelsea.

So why does that guarantee him an England spot? I thought Capello was going to be an arrogant A hole who picked the team regardless of what the press or the supporters thought and I certainly would have been happy with that.

Last night should have been a win no matter what spin anyone puts on it. Ok Green made a mistake but we should have been able to come back from that and win, I was'nt the slightest bit worried when they scored because I really thought we would wake up and play some football, we didnt and I hope to god we get better or a lot of people including myself are going to be dissapointed.

Am I one of those fans who expects to much? Probably but that does'nt excuse the fact that Milner should'nt have been chose instead of Joe Cole, 4.4.2 with a target man and wingers should'nt have been chose on a narrow pitch with a ball that really zips around also you have 2 of the best attacking midfielders in the prem and we change our style to adapt Heskey, if Capello picks his team based on form Heskey should be no-where near it, given the choice I would pick Lampard and Gerrard all day long over a striker that cant score.

I fear we have a stubborn man in Capello who is determined to play the way he wants but for gods sake if you want to play Lampard and Gerrard get Barry behind them with Rooney up front and let them do what they do best and im sure the goals will come.

I'm sure Carlo Ancelotti could provide you with some positives. Lampard may be blah for England but he's fantastic at Chelsea.

Lampards another John Barnes. I bet as with Barnes that the crowd will get rid of him before the manager does. Trouble is we'll be out of the tournament by the time that happens. :angry2:

Lampard is over rated, if you are looking at his goals for Chelsea all good and well but if you compare to other about a dozen other central midfeilders in the world he doesn't hold a candle

Slovenia V Algeria was one of the worst world cup matches I have seen in recent memory

Lampard is over rated, if you are looking at his goals for Chelsea all good and well but if you compare to other about a dozen other central midfeilders in the world he doesn't hold a candle

Slovenia V Algeria was one of the worst world cup matches I have seen in recent memory

Some top quality managers seem to disagree...

Archived