BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Group C Discussion - Algeria, England, Slovenia, Usa

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the worst England performance I have witnessed, and there have been a few over the years.

Capello has to take the blame - the wrong players in the wrong formation and unwilling or incapable of changing his tactics. To judge from that performance, the England players have no faith in him either.

The whole squad look unfit, disinterested and totally out of form. To me Rooney looks injured. To many players carrying injuries and or out of form.

Can anyone tell me why one of the top 3 CM’s in the world is playing left midfield?

I didn't see one of the top 3 CM's in the world playing in any position, certainly not for England anyway.

The expectation and belief that "we can do it again" with these players? It's our own worst enemy. And it creates this notion that we are a glorious football nation. At club level, yes. At international level? You're having a laugh.

If the idiot Capello wasn't in charge and England played the proper tactics none of this would have happened. If you play Argentina completely out of position they would struggle too.

I think Rooney said "nice to see your own fans booing you" or something.

Booing is the least those overpaid overhyped tw@ts deserve.

Bang on. Given the money they earn, the effort they put in and the quality of the opposition there is no way they can consider that an acceptable performance. If any of us performed as badly as that in work we'd at least be on a warning.

I don't expect us to play top quality football because we never have, but the effort was appalling. I'm seriously considering supporting my sweepstake team, Slovenia, on Wednesday.

I doubt I could have even brought myself to celebrate if a w@nker like Jon Terry or Gerrard scored from a header in that 90th minute corner. Set of idiots who couldn't give a crap. We are supposed to be 'fans' of that lot yet I can hardly call myself fanatical. I can't stand 'em at the moment. None of them deserve to get anywhere near that World Cup again.

I really think it must be an effort thing because there is no other explaination for such a shocking performance from players who weekly showcase their talents yet fail to switch it on against a dismal Algeria side (wasn't impressed a decent team would've totally done us.) To be honest, I wonder how much they do care, as all they ever want - success and money, and probably not in that order - is provided for by their clubs.

Wasn't impressed by the selection, formation and substitutions. I'm not quite as strong in my sentiments towards England as ET but those overpaid arses falling flat on their faces isn't going to cause me to loose too much sleep.

The expectation and belief that "we can do it again" with these players? It's our own worst enemy. And it creates this notion that we are a glorious football nation. At club level, yes. At international level? You're having a laugh.

The World Cup win of 1966 was a magical event that brought the whole country together in a glorious celebration. England could and should have done better since then but apart from brief periods under Robson and Venables they have always been badly managed. England might of course confound everyone and go out and beat Slovenia 5-0 but it appears that Capello is just the latest in a long line of clueless managers since Sir Alf Ramsey lifted the cup 44 years ago.

Rooney isnt fit. Hes been none existant since his ankle injury. Would we even dare to drop him and play Defoe and Gerrard down the middle and joe cole on the left? Cant keep players in the team beacuse of the name on their shirt when there not fit.

Carragher missing is a blessing in disguise imo. Too slow and not the player he was. Dawson is a better athlete.

I wish our broadcasters would hire some pundits with an ounce of controversy. They all say the same apologetic shíte.

I was watching some of the RTE coverage and they said it like it is. A team that contains lots of big names, that regularly don't produce at the highest level and who have unrealistic expectations heaped upon them. What Rooney said at the end was unbelievable. England fans follow their team to the ends of the earth at a huge financial cost, most of whom can't afford it. And to get a performance like that is embarrassing and for a pampered multi-millionaire footballer to react like that is shameful.

Atrocious. utterley atrocious.

Capello seems to have become clueless overnight. the players look scared, unfit and frankly unintersted. Gerrard needs to sit down with the manager tomorrow and talk some tactical sense into capello like the senior players did with Sir Bobby in 1990. We need a change of formation - play the players where they are strongest. Its not rocket science.

James

Johnson Dawson Terry A Cole

Barry

Lennon J Cole

Lampard Gerrard

Rooney

The worrying thing is, Ronney doesnt look fit. He looked like he was hobbling during the second half. Maybe swap him for Crouch.

At least this formation free's up Lampard and Gerrard to get forward, with Barry sitting behind.

Actually, thinking about it, I've seem too many failed world cup attempts to actually give a feck about England anymore.

Accyrover

Rooney isnt fit. Hes been none existant since his ankle injury. Would we even dare to drop him and play Defoe and Gerrard down the middle and joe cole on the left? Cant keep players in the team beacuse of the name on their shirt when there not fit.

Carragher missing is a blessing in disguise imo. Too slow and not the player he was. Dawson is a better athlete.

Defoe before Crouch who is our most prolofic goals per games ratio goalscorer?

Rooney should be dropped, he doesn't look fit and doesn't look happy being there. Listening to 606 and Rooney is being slated and rightly so for his comments.

Interesting interview with David James, asking him about Cappelo's comments of there being too much pressure on the team and as a result they are suffering. James completely rubbished it. Is there some problems in the camp? Also James apparently found out he was playing 5 mins before he got on the coach!

Guest Kamy100

One of the worst performances that I have ever seen from an England side, and to be frank it was embarrassing. The players didn't have a clue, tactics are all wrong and the lack of technical ability from our so called superstars, we couldn't string passes together. People will have a go at Heskey, however serious questions have to be asked about Rooney, he did nothing again.

Fabio needs to alter the formation and shape of the team. We need to go 4-5-1. Play Rooney up front alone, with Gerrard playing off him. He needs to play Lennon on the right and Joe Cole on the left, Joe will give us some creative spark and also is able to keep possession.

The good news is that often the team that goes and wins a tournament like this normally starts off slowly and builds momentum (well we can hope can't we).

Just got back to my hotel after being at Green Point stadium. Man for man, Algeria had more skill and guile than all your players. And as much as it pains me to say it, Majid Bougherra was the best player on the pitch tonight. Whoever picked Ashley Cole for man of the match was watching a different match to me.

Rooney looked unfit to me as well. Given how well we know he can play he looked very sluggish and his touch was at times awful. On this basis, I find it difficult to see where we can go from here as I am unconvinced that Rooney could lead the line up front on his own which would prevent a Rooney-Gerrard combination up front. I actually thought that Heskey was one of our better players - maybe we should stick him on the left wing a la dirk kuyt!

How many of you thought it was a question of how many goals rather whether England would win?

Thats the answer right there as thats definitely what the players thought. Much like Spain, except at least Spain performed half well that night against Switzerland.

Rooney saying "We can beat them not at our best" and even Gerrard saying after the match "This was their WC final", are NOT the kind of things people should be thinking let alone saying. If you dont respect your opponents you are bound to underestimate them.

Still so angry after watching that shambles, is it just me or have we still got the same squad issues we've had for the past 5 years, if not worse?

Most of the population can see we need to go 4-5-1, it suits the squad we have and the majority of the players are used to it at club level, beggars belief to watch how dis-jointed we were tonight.

Its obvious Fabio loves a 4-4-2 so why wont he play J.Cole out on the left, time after time different managers have tried and failed pushing Gerrard out there. Square Pegs dont fill round holes so if your adamant on 442 why didnt the squad have a true left footed midfielder like A.Young or S.Downing in from the start.

If watching the shambles wasnt bad enough, the wife's comment of 'calm down its only a game' almost finished me off!!!!

They say the French have problems.

I cannot remember so many players looking totally inept.

Not blaming Rooney but were was the fight and determination, he for one is usually all over the park chasing everything.

It was like a Sunday league match after a top night out.

Still unbeaten though. ;)

• Backroom

Rooney saying "We can beat them not at our best" and even Gerrard saying after the match "This was their WC final", are NOT the kind of things people should be thinking let alone saying. If you dont respect your opponents you are bound to underestimate them.

Agree with this, very arrogant comments. Even if you think something like that why would you say it in the press? All it's going to do is give the opposite team greater encouragement to make you eat those words.

James: "It's very difficult for a side to break down 11 defenders."

:rolleyes: yes, because all Algeria did was defend. Couldn't be because we're fecking dreadful, could it?

We're a shambles, there's not one single good thing to have come out of 180 minutes' play.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went out at the group stage. It's all down to Capello now. When he first took over, he made the players believe in themselves and play like they do for their clubs. They seem to have regressed and he needs to get them believing in themselves.

However, that is not the only problem. We are also playing players who either seem to be injured or out of form or just not good enough. I thought Capello picked players on form and on that showing a lot need to be dropped. Just how bad does Lampard have to be before he is dropped?

Anothe rworrying problem is the authoritarian style of Capello. This isn't a problem when things are going well. But when there are problems, who is going to question the coach? I almost get the feeling he thinks he's invincible and I'm worried he won't change his tactical approach and his thinking on team selection because he won't consider that he's got either of these wrong.

I wouldn't rule out squad unrest either.

All in all, it's going to be a very disappointing tournament.

EDIT: Just seen John Terry on telly, he looked choked.

Archived