BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Warning

I'm perfectly aware of the laws of the road thank you but it's idiots like you who think there should be no speeding laws and no speed cameras that result in stories like this today.

1 TRANSPORT Cameras

Embargoed to 0001 Friday August 20

BEREAVED MOTHER LEADS PROTEST OVER AXED SPEED CAMERAS

By Peter Woodman, press Association Transport Correspondent

A bereaved mother will lead a protest today against a county council's decision to axe speed cameras.Claire Brixey's son Ashley, 20, was killed in a crash in Limpley Stoke, Wiltshire, in 2004 when the car in which he was a passenger landed upside down in a swimming pool after the driver lost control.Ms Brixey, who lives in Standerwick on the Wiltshire/Somerset border, has been a road safety campaigner since the crash.In the protest today in Trowbridge, she will urge Wiltshire County Council to reverse a decision to end its road safety partnership scheme.Ms Brixey said: ``I cannot just stand by while the council puts an axe to vital road safety services that save so many young lives here each year. They need to know how appalled local communities are about this. Most people fully support cameras and feel safer with them turned on.``When I heard in the news the Government saying they were ending a 'war on motorists', I thought that all they were doing was enabling people to break the law and endanger lives by speeding.``What about people's rights to use local streets safely? What about people's right to life? The Government should be prioritising saving lives on our roads not accumulating deaths. The cost of a speed camera does not compare to the cost of a life.''Ellen Booth, campaigns officer for road safety charity Brake, said: ``Increasingly, decisions being made on speed cameras are more about politics and less about facts.``The fact is that speed cameras reduce speeding and save lives.''

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll leave it at that and stay off this thread before it descends into bickering

The leaving was a good idea. It has "descended" as predicted. I'm off & out of here too.

I'm perfectly aware of the laws of the road thank you but it's idiots like you who think there should be no speeding laws and no speed cameras that result in stories like this today.

1 TRANSPORT Cameras

Embargoed to 0001 Friday August 20

BEREAVED MOTHER LEADS PROTEST OVER AXED SPEED CAMERAS

By Peter Woodman, press Association Transport Correspondent

A bereaved mother will lead a protest today against a county council's decision to axe speed cameras.Claire Brixey's son Ashley, 20, was killed in a crash in Limpley Stoke, Wiltshire, in 2004 when the car in which he was a passenger landed upside down in a swimming pool after the driver lost control.Ms Brixey, who lives in Standerwick on the Wiltshire/Somerset border, has been a road safety campaigner since the crash.In the protest today in Trowbridge, she will urge Wiltshire County Council to reverse a decision to end its road safety partnership scheme.Ms Brixey said: ``I cannot just stand by while the council puts an axe to vital road safety services that save so many young lives here each year. They need to know how appalled local communities are about this. Most people fully support cameras and feel safer with them turned on.``When I heard in the news the Government saying they were ending a 'war on motorists', I thought that all they were doing was enabling people to break the law and endanger lives by speeding.``What about people's rights to use local streets safely? What about people's right to life? The Government should be prioritising saving lives on our roads not accumulating deaths. The cost of a speed camera does not compare to the cost of a life.''Ellen Booth, campaigns officer for road safety charity Brake, said: ``Increasingly, decisions being made on speed cameras are more about politics and less about facts.``The fact is that speed cameras reduce speeding and save lives.''

Idiots like me? Jim there is absolutely no reference at all to speed being instrumental in this case. Where does it say that it is? It might have been who knows? Can I assume now that you will lead a campaign to ban dangerously situated swimming pools. :rolleyes:

My guess would be reckless and bad driving but it's only a guess.

Col..am I right in saying you drive to rovers? You said you have a couple of beers before the game..which is worse drink driving or going 35mph.ftr I don't even have a shandy when driving...?

Abbey,

A couple of pints between 13:30 and 14:30 before the match. I don't get back into the car much before 17:15 which leaves the best part of 3 hours for the beer to disappear. I'm not daft, so please don't have a pop at me.

I've got no points on my licence since 1977 so I think I'm doing OK.

All the best,

Colin

Abbey,

A couple of pints between 13:30 and 14:30 before the match. I don't get back into the car much before 17:15 which leaves the best part of 3 hours for the beer to disappear. I'm not daft, so please don't have a pop at me.

I've got no points on my licence since 1977 so I think I'm doing OK.

All the best,

Colin

Not having a go at you here Colin but that is the big iffy question mark with driving under the influence of drink or drugs.

With drink you might have two pints of mild or you might have two pints of strong lager. One might leave you below the limit and one might put you over. Everybody's tolerence is different but in the eyes of the law taking reasonable precautions is not a valid defence. Somehow an individual is expected to be able to know with accuracy what his/her own blood alcohol level is. You can buy a breathalyser type of gadget but their accuracy is not guaranteed.

Consider this.... next Fri night you go out and consume a significant amount of alcohol as many tend to do,then get up and go off to Ewood for the Arsenal match, top up with two pints of strong lager and be in the car again by 2.30pm.

If you had some sort of scrape and the police breath tested you then I think even if you passed that you might have to drive all the way back to Manchester with the windows down.

With drugs the effects are frequently longer lasting according to this ....

http://drugabuse.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html

marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that marijuana’s adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.2 As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time.

Here's a table for drug detection. I don't know how accurate it is but it's interesting in this context. A tab of LSD for example dropped on Friday can still result in flashbacks for a significant time after the user has felt the effects wear off.

http://www.passyourdrugtest.com/timetable.htm

Maybe you'd better check the train timetables Colin. ^_^

Thank you Theno,

I'm sure it's a warning to all of us. I'm sure we will all bear it in mind the next time any of us drive while drunk, happy on cannabis, or indeed tripping out of our heads on acid. Although if the latter, we probably couldn't find the car for the gigantic pink rats trying to knaw our brains.

Cheers mate

Colin

Thanks to this mean-spirited and evil government the speeding cowboys on the road are getting further licence to put innocent lives at risk.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ght/8931956.stm

"About 6,000 speed cameras have appeared on Britain's roads since they were introduced in 1992, generating some £100m in fines each year. "

"......... But Chief Constable Giannasi says councils should use alternative safety measures where speed camera numbers are reduced: "It is difficult for local authorities… they are operating under significant financial pressure."

The usual silly post from Magoo of course but something doesn't stack up. We are informed 6000 cameras generating 16k pa each is yielding approx 100m. So why is it suggested that central govt cuts are resulting in these things being switched off? :blink:

16k sounds like a reasonable return from the equipment itself so I can only think that Local authorities must have paid too much for them in the first place by being stiffed for massively expensive servicing costs? Anybody know?

Some sense at last

1 POLITICS ParkingDRIVERS FACE CHARGE FOR PARKING AT WORKBy James Tapsfield, Press Association Political CorrespondentCouncils across the country are pushing ahead with plans to charge for parking at workplaces, it was disclosed tonight.Authorities including Bristol, York, Devon, Hampshire, Leeds, Bournemouth, South Somerset and Wiltshire are considering introducing levies in an effort to raise funds and cut congestion, according to the Daily Telegraph.The news comes despite ministers pledging to end what they described as Labour's ``war on motorists'' within days of coming to power.An estimated 10 million people drive to work every day, and they could potentially face fees of hundreds of pounds a year each.Nottingham City Council is due to be the first council to impose a levy, with all employers offering more than 11 spaces for staff charged £250 for each one. It will be up to companies whether they pass the cost on.In a draft strategy, Bristol City Council describes the levy as a ``revenue stream'' to help fund other transport initiatives.Under proposals being considered by York City Council, the charge would be paid ``by the employer or charged to the employee''. In Leeds, officials view the levy as an ``important consideration in formulating a long-term strategy''.A Hampshire County Council consultation document says it is considering a ``modest'' - but unspecified - charge for the south of the region, including Southampton and Portsmouth, to ``redress the imbalance between free commuter parking for some staff at office complexes'' and ``parking for other staff in public spaces where payment is required''.A spokesman for South Somerset District Council told the Telegraph: ``Looking at reducing car travel to offices is something we are required to do, and the possibility of introducing some form of parking levy is one of many ideas that have been floated within our council.''In London, a number of councils are said to be attending a seminar next month that has a workplace parking levy on the agenda.Authorities in Milton Keynes, Cambridge and Oxford have all previously expressed an interest.Hilary Holden, an analyst with planning consultancy Arup, said the Government's squeeze on town hall budgets was pushing parking levies ``way up the agenda''.``Based on Nottingham it would probably work out at about £1 a day. Whether companies would pass the cost on to their staff may vary,'' she told the Telegraph. ``This may not change behaviour but could raise money for public transport.''end

Colin old bean, hate to pick on you but your argument would be less flawed if you admitted to " speeding " every now and again. I refuse to believe that in 33 years you have not been over 70mph once. We all have. Even if its just to get out of the awful spray from an artic quicker. Be honest with yourself first then we might believe you.

Just for the record I try and sit at 80mph on the motorway. Our speed limits are ancient. However, just to contradict myself, I never speed in urban areas.

At least we have qualified and trained police officers over here. I've just been watching Sky news where a troup of Philippino idiots are trying to 'storm' a coach where the hostages are trapped.

Over here the troops go in with stun grenades etc, don't give the kidnapper time to kill the hostages. These clowns have been swinging a sledgehammer at the bus windows for about half an hour now :lol: :lol:

Some sense at last

1 POLITICS ParkingDRIVERS FACE CHARGE FOR PARKING AT WORKBy James Tapsfield, Press Association Political CorrespondentCouncils across the country are pushing ahead with plans to charge for parking at workplaces, it was disclosed tonight.Authorities including Bristol, York, Devon, Hampshire, Leeds, Bournemouth, South Somerset and Wiltshire are considering introducing levies in an effort to raise funds and cut congestion, according to the Daily Telegraph.The news comes despite ministers pledging to end what they described as Labour's ``war on motorists'' within days of coming to power.An estimated 10 million people drive to work every day, and they could potentially face fees of hundreds of pounds a year each.Nottingham City Council is due to be the first council to impose a levy, with all employers offering more than 11 spaces for staff charged £250 for each one. It will be up to companies whether they pass the cost on.In a draft strategy, Bristol City Council describes the levy as a ``revenue stream'' to help fund other transport initiatives.Under proposals being considered by York City Council, the charge would be paid ``by the employer or charged to the employee''. In Leeds, officials view the levy as an ``important consideration in formulating a long-term strategy''.A Hampshire County Council consultation document says it is considering a ``modest'' - but unspecified - charge for the south of the region, including Southampton and Portsmouth, to ``redress the imbalance between free commuter parking for some staff at office complexes'' and ``parking for other staff in public spaces where payment is required''.A spokesman for South Somerset District Council told the Telegraph: ``Looking at reducing car travel to offices is something we are required to do, and the possibility of introducing some form of parking levy is one of many ideas that have been floated within our council.''In London, a number of councils are said to be attending a seminar next month that has a workplace parking levy on the agenda.Authorities in Milton Keynes, Cambridge and Oxford have all previously expressed an interest.Hilary Holden, an analyst with planning consultancy Arup, said the Government's squeeze on town hall budgets was pushing parking levies ``way up the agenda''.``Based on Nottingham it would probably work out at about £1 a day. Whether companies would pass the cost on to their staff may vary,'' she told the Telegraph. ``This may not change behaviour but could raise money for public transport.''end

now you have retired you would say this is ok!

250 quid to park your car at work?

raising money for public transport?

i wont pay it and its another way of screwing the road users. before you start your use buses etc do tell me how i would get home after starting at 7.30am and getting home after a callout at 4am?

The mobile camera van pops up a lot in Preston, usually parked on the traffic island at the bottom of London Road, seems an odd place as it is right in front of a set of traffic lights, also seen it the other day parked across the road from a fixed camera.

Never been caught by a fixed camera, got caught a few years ago by a mobile camera on Haslingden Road.

The mobile camera van pops up a lot in Preston, usually parked on the traffic island at the bottom of London Road, seems an odd place as it is right in front of a set of traffic lights,

That's the spot where a woman was killed a few years ago, by a driver doing over 100 MPH down that hill. Yes, over 100 MPH in a 30 MPH zone.

That's the spot where a woman was killed a few years ago, by a driver doing over 100 MPH down that hill. Yes, over 100 MPH in a 30 MPH zone.

The van is always there in the daytime when the traffic is busy so getting up to any kind of speed would be difficult, I don't know about the woman getting killed there but I'm guessing it was in the evening when it was quieter traffic wise, surely the van should be out then as it would catch more at that time of night.

The mobile camera van pops up a lot in Preston, usually parked on the traffic island at the bottom of London Road, seems an odd place as it is right in front of a set of traffic lights,

Perhaps the intention is to try and catch people who run the red light? I can't imagine it is difficult to link a monitoing device to the lights so cars passing through on red are noted.

Perhaps the intention is to try and catch people who run the red light? I can't imagine it is difficult to link a monitoing device to the lights so cars passing through on red are noted.

That's true. They are set up at lights all around the Stockport/Poynton area and Washway Rd through Sale and Broadheath. Each set of lights on Washway Rd has permanent cameras for jumping the lights.

I take your point Den and it was a tragic case but just as an addition I seem to rem she was killed as a consequence of a Lotus Carlton and another car racing late at night. As yet I've never seen a mobile speed camera operating 'out of office hours'.

What is there to deter the reckless speeders who drive or race at stupidly excessive speeds in built up areas or on country lanes, frequently during the evenings and just for kicks? They are far more dangerous than someone plodding down the M6 at 85mph and they are the ones who should be prioritised and targetted by the police.

Archived