BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Warning

Pointless debate, and been had before.

One argument is you should obey the speed limit and not speed: true

other argument is that speed cameras can only detect speed and are useless at detecting dangerous driving: also true

30 mile speed limits in some area appear more applicable than in others: also true

so what we need is variable speed limits with cameras which can think logically and spot the more 'dangerous' driver: never gonna happen and it doesn't matter who's in charge.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bluerovers

Bluerover, are you serious? Ask any copper who's been at the scene of a car wrapped round a telegraph pole or had to go and tell some mother that her son has just died as a result of an "accident".

I'm sure the person that found Elvis was quite distressed too but should we ban eating hamburgers on the toilet? Two thirds of those accidents weren't caused by speed either....

It only takes one to tango when it comes to road accidents. Don't gamble for the sake of saving a minute on your journey.

So why does every country disagree on what the limits should be, many of which have the same road surfaces and cars travelling on them?

Why are Gremany wrong, for example, with their (almost) limitless Autobahns?

Why are Gremany wrong, for example, with their (almost) limitless Autobahns?

In 2009 there were 4,154 road deaths in Germany, equating to 5.1 road deaths per 100,000 of population compared to the British average of 3.6 road deaths per 100,000 of population.

Speed kills.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Why do you feel the need to stick to the speed limit?

Because I don't feel any need to exceed the speed limit. I'm relaxed about it all.

Now will you please tell me why you feel you have the need to exceed the speed limit.

No one has yet offered an explanation yet.

I'm looking forward to the reasons. It should be rather edeucational. But I expect a deafening silence.

Reluctantly, Colin, I accept the challenge.

People exceed the speed limit because:

1) There is a limit to exceed

2) Their vehicle allows them to do so

3) They are human and subject to temptation, frustration and bouts of temporary insanity

Imagine if you will a place without speed limits but also where vehicles don't have speedometers. There will always be the odd idiot but I reckon, by and large, people would be more careful and probably drive more slowly.

Q.E.D.

In 2009 there were 4,154 road deaths in Germany, equating to 5.1 road deaths per 100,000 of population compared to the British average of 3.6 road deaths per 100,000 of population.

Speed kills.

So you know for a fact that in every one of those accidents speed was the main contributory factor?

Excellent article in the Telegraph here

Bears out my exerience/observations.

It is both the timid and the aggressive drivers who cause traffic jams.

So the "got to exceed the speed limit" merchants are just as bad as the old boy tooteling along the A4 middle lane near Chiswick yesterday morning in his pristine 25 year old VW Golf.

Obviously the Invisible Man in the car but whose the bird? :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

From everyone's favourite paper

I'm not convinced about speed cameras personally. The majority of motorists drive safely and within speed limits. it's odd that several cameras seem to be placed in a position where your car picks up speed etc - in any case we've been round and round in this discussion and in truth the arguments for and against are endless.

I'm interested in the situation jim highlights on the A547 - what is needed is a survey of the road and consultations with residents to see what is the best solution in the circumstances. A knee-jerk reaction does not always provide the best answer and the needs of all road users should be considered - I'm including those who need to cross it.

On my patch we recently reduced the speed limit on a rather dangerous road and indeed it seems to have had the required effect and is now much safer to cross.

I'm still not convinced about the 20mph speed limit either. It serves a sort of purpose in that on these streets people tend to drive more carefully although most drivers do tend not to speed in those areas in any case. I am still adamant that the place for pedestrians is on the pavement and they shouldn't be mucking about on the road. I'd like to see much more emphasis on educating children on road safety and respect for roads.

As far as pavements are concerned, please don't get me started again about the most ridiculous idea ever thought up -i.e. painting a line down the middle of them and calling one half of it a cycle lane.

I'm not convinced about speed cameras personally. The majority of motorists drive safely and within speed limits. it's odd that several cameras seem to be placed in a position where your car picks up speed

Would you put them where people don't speed mum?

Sorry - I know what you mean :lol:

So you know for a fact that in every one of those accidents speed was the main contributory factor?

One of the chief problems on German Autobahnen is that many still only have 2 lanes. Pulling out to overtake becomes a nightmare as those in the outside lane are often not visible when you decide it's safe to go and then are suddenly on you as you pull out. I drive happily in France where speed limits on motorways change according to weather conditions and most motorways have 3 lanes, but try to drive as little as possible in Germany

• 3 weeks later...

ARE PEOPLE TOTALLY THICK WHEN IT COMES TO DRIVING? my wife was overtaken on the bend between the toll bar and the m65 at finnington yesterday ,today a car came thru red at whiteburk roundabout that late the 5!!! cars in front of me had gone and then to follow that up someone cut the car in front of me at tesco lights @ burnley rd,they was in the left lane and turned right....knobs.

Yes some people are, it's their mentality that's at fault. Guy behind me yesterday in some sort of fancy salon sports overtook four of us on a narrow country road in a 40mph approaching a hump back bridge. Judging by the engine noise and the heavy braking I think he probably hit 70 in that manoeuvre.

Presumably he has a very small penis.

ARE PEOPLE TOTALLY THICK WHEN IT COMES TO DRIVING? my wife was overtaken on the bend between the toll bar and the m65 at finnington yesterday ,today a car came thru red at whiteburk roundabout that late the 5!!! cars in front of me had gone and then to follow that up someone cut the car in front of me at tesco lights @ burnley rd,they was in the left lane and turned right....knobs.

Where's a speed camera when you need one eh? Still, I'm sure they slowed down for that so it's all good. :rolleyes:;)

Archived