BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rebranding Ewood

Mc Love

IMO the Walkersteel is the one thing that gives our ground character and stops it being just another modern PL stadium.

I'd just like them to re-roof the thing and get rid of the damn posts.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old two tiered Riverside had 'character'. That shed we have now looked terrible when it opened.

Remember it was only built 2/3 years before the rest of the ground and look at the difference.

Definitely move the TV cameras over to the top of the Riverside and show off the other 3 stands.

The old two tiered Riverside had 'character'. That shed we have now looked terrible when it opened.

Remember it was only built 2/3 years before the rest of the ground and look at the difference.

It was closer to five/six years.

Well I'm too young to remember the actual development but officially it opened in 1988, with further development and extra seats being added into the nineties. Officially it was also pre- Jack Walker, though he did help fund it.

The old two tier stand was condemed and pulled down in 88. It was left as an open terrace through 89 and that shambles of a stand was erected in 1990.

In fact, I still remember John Motson saying in January 1991 for the Liverpool cup game 'Here is Blackburn Rovers newly opened grandstand' (arf).

Wouldnt it be easy to redevelop (without having to build over the river) if we brought the stand up to the edge of the pitch like all the other stands, instead of the big walkway infront??

We could even stick the away fans in there as people always moan there isnt enough space in the Darwen End for home fans.

Wouldnt it be easy to redevelop (without having to build over the river) if we brought the stand up to the edge of the pitch like all the other stands, instead of the big walkway infront??

We could even stick the away fans in there as people always moan there isnt enough space in the Darwen End for home fans.

Exactly. It's too far from the pitch and effectively dulls much of the atmosphere and intimidatory effect which other stadiums pride themselves on.

Anyway they may as well do an Arsenal and paint a mural next season. We won't ever need it apart from the return of Phil Jones and his new mates.

IMO the Walkersteel is the one thing that gives our ground character and stops it being just another modern PL stadium.

Your house being normal build with an extension on one side in the style of a cave I suppose?

Bog the away fans! The Riverside has a great side view of the pitch. People moan about the posts but they're hardly that bad - I can't say that in the 4 years I've sat there I've missed a single piece of action. And like S15 says, at times looking at the post is the most exciting thing to be doing! I've often thought they should put small tellys on them to compensate for getting in the way - they could show replays, or probably better just stick Corrie on or something for when the game is rubbish!

A few years ago my wife and I did the stadium tour. On this tour we were told there was plans to build a new stand on the riverside with a hotel included. The hotel was going to be used for Rovers supporters - as well as other funtions - who live and travel outside of the local area. It was going to be run simular to the travelodge. Further told planning permission had also been approved. It was said that there is not enough hotel / bed breakfast places in Blackburn for supporters from outside the area (this I agree with as it is hard to find decent, reasonable priced accomodation for a weekend)It was considered that this would generate income for the club, build up a decent fan base outside of Blackburn area, which in turn would increase the attendance and the atmosphere at matches.

What stopped it was the travelodge being built in lower darwen.

Apart from the Whitehall Hotel in Darwen, Woodland Hotel on preston new rd, Travelodge in Lower Darwen, Fenhurst Hotel at Ewood (which is for away supporters)So accomodation for Rovers supporters wanting to come from outside the blackburn area is very very limited. I believe the need is still there. You only have to look at where people come from on this site.

Come off it, it is only slightyl older than the other stands and looks bloody awful.

the riverside looks terrible.. it really does does and i have sat in it since the 91-92 season.. before that i used to go in the nuttall street (and pre that the blackburn end).

simple solution would be to rip out the seats and replace them with new 1s to match the rest of the ground.

they also should/ could put a new roof on it.. make it a bit higher... and extend it cos the 1st 4 rows of seats get drenched everytime it rains.

also open up the back exits.. so that the morons who leave early dont walk down to pitch level and meander around.. that looks sooo bad on tv and also obstructs others views.

used to gain access to the riverside by walking up the steps at the back.. but probably some health and safety law..will stop the exits being used.

i like the view from the riverside.. ive sat in the JW lower for youth and reserve games.. and the seats start at ankle level! :o

i remember seeing the walkersteel stand when it was 1st completed.. and also remember a guy who used to stand next to me on the nuttall street say.. 'jack hates that stand..' (guy was close to scott sellars).

No major hotel chain still around, so there is still a market to be captured.

As for away fans - the thinking was that you limit them to 5000-6000 seats then, instead of 8000 mancs. It also gives us behind both goals to get behind the boys!

No major hotel chain still around, so there is still a market to be captured.

As for away fans - the thinking was that you limit them to 5000-6000 seats then, instead of 8000 mancs. It also gives us behind both goals to get behind the boys!

i see your logic.. hughesy.. but no thanks.. as ive said much prefer riverside view than JW lower.. :rover:

aswell as the hotel plans.. there were also plans to have wheelchair spaces at the back of the lower tier.. another thing that would bring us into line with most other modern stadia!

The problem with the hotel is that with the exception of 19 home games a year it is going to be pretty empty. SOmething like at Bolton would be ideal, but we don't really have the location like they do - major motorway and major train line. There isn't much of a passing traffic running through Ewood and if for some reason people did want to stop in Blackburn then the Travelodge is closer to the motorway. I'm not saying that no-one would stop at a hotel at Ewood, but I just don't think there'd be huge demand at all.

There isn't much of a passing traffic running through Ewood and if for some reason people did want to stop in Blackburn then the Travelodge is closer to the motorway. I'm not saying that no-one would stop at a hotel at Ewood, but I just don't think there'd be huge demand at all.

Ewood/Bolton rd is one of the the main routes in/out of Blackburn...very busy most of the time!

I was out walking the dog on the Manxman hill about a month ago and noticed surveyors taking measurments etc of the area behind the stand...now there's a story.It would be superb to finally see Ewood finshed and would be nice to know plans are in the making.

Archived