BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rebranding Ewood

Mc Love

As reports have come out of the new owners rebranding, what are your thoughts?

The same thing happened at the ground of the rugby clubs (Shannon & Munster) I support in Limerick, and a mate of mine and I launched a campaign for it to remain "Thomond Park", we had social campaigns on Bebo and wrote to all the local papers and some national media outlets and the campaign had a lot of fans signing up, some that were not even fans of the club but fond of the ground and memories it held being named Thomond Park.

Some of us still call Lansdowne Road, Lansdowne road and not the Aviva Stadium as it's now "known"

However, if it did come down to it, and we had to rebrand the stadium, I think it would have to retain the Ewood in the name.

Suggestions like:

CROWN Ewood Park

Venkys Ewood Stadium

Bet 24 Ewood Stadium

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the one thing I'm against, but I suppose it depends what it brings to the club. If it's bringing in a lot of money then I suppose you can't argue with it. It's not as if other clubs aren't jumping on stadium sponsorship.

Of course I'd be opposed to it being named after a fast food company or something similarly embarassing. The Pizza Hut Stadium doesn't have a good ring to it, and the Tenalady Stadium is definitely out.

Whilst I wouldnt particularly like it, it does seem to be the way clubs need to go nowadays, the commercial aspect of being able to sell the stadium name to a main sponsor is quite attractive nowadays, Arsenals Emirates stadium for example is quite lucrative, perhaps Air India may be interested, I just hope its not KFC or the press and opposition fans will have a field day.

Then there is Stand sponsorship too - so lots for new owners to think about

We already have stand sponsorship.

I can't see us attracting a major sponsor for the ground which we could deal with, we'd end up with something like purpleloans.com/floors-to-go stadium like at Walsall.

I can see the business thinking behind this, as we need to seriously increase our revenues....however I would wait 18 months or so, then we can try and get abit more exposure in India 1st and also have a better team for when we look for sponsor-ship, therefore giving us a much bigger deal....

Lets not just jump into bed with the first person eh!

They can go and fk RIGHT OFF.

im a traditionlist...EWOOD PARK IS THE HOME OF BLACKBURN ROVERS!!!!!

IF it happens I hope they have the decency to somehow fit ewood park into the name ...ie ..when my broncos changed to their new ground it was renamed Invesco Field. The fans went mad and they renamed it Invesco Field at Mile High.

possible name ...The Hoofthefeckerashighaspossiblelumpit stadium.

I think true fans will always call it Ewood Park....what-ever the new name might be.

The Riverside got renamed Walkers Steel stand & then Frasier Eagle Stand in the past didn`t it? :huh: I still called it the Riverside stand, much to the annoyance of the ticket office staff :lol:

Personally, i`d rather it stay Ewood Park, but i don`t own the club or the stadium. If somebody offered silly money to rename the ground then it`d be silly not to listen to their offer.

I can see the business thinking behind this, as we need to seriously increase our revenues....however I would wait 18 months or so, then we can try and get abit more exposure in India 1st and also have a better team for when we look for sponsor-ship, therefore giving us a much bigger deal....

Lets not just jump into bed with the first person eh!

For a change Hughesy I agree with you. What is best for the club is what matters. As much as I would like Ewood Park to remain as the ground name. I am also very much conscious that the club get nothing for it. Jack Walker also did not want the name changed. But he also did not want any part of the ground to be named after him. But it was as well as the Jack Walker way road was also named after him. All this was other people's idea.

But I also think that before the club looks at the name of the ground, they should look at renaming the Riverside first - if not the rebuilding of it. I heard there was once plans to turn the Riverside into both a hotel and a stand. Not living in Blackburn, I like that idea - as long as room rates were not stupid. As this could bring extra money into the club.

If VH takeover as it looks like they are going to. They have to put their own mark on the club. Jack took Rovers to high places, new ground etc etc. His mark, rightly so is all over the club. He put money into the club and therefore rightly deserves the respect that has since been given to him.

But we are now approaching a new era. With the current predicament of the club having no money to invest in the team etc. VH are coming to Rovers rescue ( I want a better description) which is something, as Rovers supporters we should be grateful for, especially if they are successful. But they would be the owners of the club. A name can be changed at anytime. If changing the name of the ground brings in money for the club, can Rovers afford to turn that down, with or without a takeover? I suggest not.

Vh will no doubt have the interest of the fans in mind, after all the fans are the customers. A good business has to look after its customers. I believe VH would do the same if their bid is successful.

Vh would be the first Indian business to own a premiership club. They are already conscious of that. They therefore want to make the club appealing to supporters as well in India. As that is the market they want to tap into. I think VH are only talking about branding or sponsership of Ewood Park. I would settle for a 'branding name 'at Ewood Park.

In terms of developing the riverside - a hotel would be welcomed by a lot of travelling fans! Which could also tie in with a sponsor for the naming rights. But as with some grounds, the name of the stadium would draw in people to the area.

So if someone like The Premier Inn group wanted the rights to be at the ground, they might put money into the construction of the riverside with hotel and end up with "The Premier Inn Park" or have there name in the name somewhere

It's been Ewood Park for 61 years for me, so........ I don't care what they call it, because it makes absolutely no difference to anything. If it's for the financial benefit of the club, then fair enough. As someone said earlier, it can always go back to EP in future.

Pakora Park!!!!

Nah, only messing. It will always be Ewood Park for me. I would be happy with Ewood Park VH just as long as Ewood Park is kept within the name

In terms of developing the riverside - a hotel would be welcomed by a lot of travelling fans! Which could also tie in with a sponsor for the naming rights. But as with some grounds, the name of the stadium would draw in people to the area.

So if someone like The Premier Inn group wanted the rights to be at the ground, they might put money into the construction of the riverside with hotel and end up with "The Premier Inn Park" or have there name in the name somewhere

Agreed, especially if a train station was also built at Ewood Park. (sorry to bring that one up again) Something like that, hotel, train station at ewood park could have great potential to regeneration of the Blackburn area. Even from the news I can tell most money for such projects go manchester direction - which is unjust. But if a football club like Rovers, under new ownership did some redeveolment themselves, it may be something to build upon.

Rubbish...that's last place you'd have a hotel....over looking higher croft...very salubrious...It would only be full once in a fortnight...can't see it being a viable business at all.

Rovers would have been better off developing the entire back of the riverside into a sports city...bit like Citeh...astro pitches, gym things like that and perhaps a place for the reserves and U18's to play..etc....keeping in the sport theme and also providing much needed facilities in the Ewood area for youngsters.

I've read it differently - that the new owners are looking for sponsorship around the ground, not the ground itself.

So, rather than changing to Blackburn Venkers or something, we'll have lucrative sponsors on the hoardings/big screen/etc.

There is already a Walker stadium.

Not sure that's quite the same. Anyway, there are two St. James' Parks that I know of.

It'll always be t'Ewood for the fans. Just hope it's not given some dumb sponsor name like Clare's example.

Archived