BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rebranding Ewood

Mc Love

Its not Rovers fans who a re branding will be directed at, its everyone else, when on Television, all the references in the press, quizzes etc - puts the sponsors name forward in a multitude of ways, even more if linked with shirt sponsors as every player pic, newspaper pic, televised game etc is highlighted by the shirt logo as well.

I dont know the current rates but my guess is a full page ad in a national newspaper would be around at least £50,000 - Television ads around £10,000 per minute plus the cost of producing the ad, its big business nowadays.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the breezeblock though is souless and completly unfinished inside,bare wires,pipes and bare breeze blocks eveywhere.

At least it has got four sides that look like they were meant to be together. ;) I think you're on a sticky wicket here - and I'm not sure of the relevance of your comment to this general thread about names of football grounds.

Still - far be it from me to get between you and your obsession. :)

I agree Zulu. If your new stadium was built on the site of Burnden Park we would all still call it Burnden, I think the general public only really take notice of the stadium name change is when a club re-locate. I and many others will always call it Ewood Park.

I think we need to realise that the club have got to do all they can to ensure sustainability and last another 10 consecutive seasons in the top flight. If renaming the stadium helps the cause then so be it.

Too many people want a take over to go through on their terms and not in the best interests of the future of the club. Changes will happen and must happen to take the club further, we will not receive any 'free' money and a few noses will be put out of joint on the way but if we want to improve we must go with and support whoever holds the purse strings because they hold the key to our future competing in the top flight.

Spot on, in my opinion. We will all have to embrace change in the game over the next few years if our clubs are to survive at the top level.

I'd rather they kept it as Ewood Park thanks very much.

By all means stick two giant Venky Chickens on top of the Riverside (not real ones by the way, that would be cruel) so the cameras can see them. We've tried or at least looked at selling the naming rights beofre I seem to recall, there was no interest. Venky's renaming the ground 'Venkys Stadium' would not bring any more money into BRFC would it - and it sounds crap.

As for changing the strip, which SG194 mentioned earlier (I think), but in all fairness no one else has, well, let's just not go there.

what about when we went down?

I'm not getting into one of your petty aimless arguments Abbey, you'll be turning this into an anti-Allardyce thread next.

It's about peoples opinions of renaming Ewood Park, not what Jack Walker would or wouldn't have done.

I'd love to keep the stadiums name as it is, but if changing the name of the stadium is one of the sacrifices to make to take the club forward that's fine by me.

If naming rights come up for sale it would be a nice touch if the Walker Trust (having just trousered £40m+) bought in as a high profile memorial to the source of their wealth.

Good point - the airlines doing very well, maybe something along those lines also?

Zulu is correct. Call it what you want it will always be Ewood Park, just The Reebok will always be The Reebok, Burnden is Burnden, Highbury is Highbury. You can change the name but you can't change the minds.

I'm not sure why people keep making reference to Venkys and chicken in the renaming discussion. They haven't indicated they will rename it in their own honour. Moreover I think that is unlikely, they know it wouldn't fly with the fans as it wouldn't bring the club any more money, only VH.

I'm not sure why people keep making reference to Venkys and chicken in the renaming discussion. They haven't indicated they will rename it in their own honour. Moreover I think that is unlikely, they know it wouldn't fly with the fans as it wouldn't bring the club any more money, only VH.

Correct, all that has been mentioned is to "One of the things we are considering is sponsorship of Ewood Park but no decision has been made". Therefore naming rights sold to the highest external bidder and not to the new owners. They'd be crazy not to consider all options wouldn't they?

• 7 months later...

So with all this talk of between 40-50 million(?) being made available to spend,would now be a good idea to set aside 5-10 million of this to finally build a new Riverside stand and finish off Ewood two make it the fantastic stadium and facility it shoud be.

Didn't somebody mention Venky's sponsoring the Riverside this season? :rock: .............

So with all this talk of between 40-50 million(?) being made available to spend,would now be a good idea to set aside 5-10 million of this to finally build a new Riverside stand and finish off Ewood two make it the fantastic stadium and facility it shoud be.

Didn't somebody mention Venky's sponsoring the Riverside this season? :rock: .............

Cant see it - unless they can come up with a way to improve the stadium without increasing the capacity then I dont see how. No need for an extra 3000-6000 seats - so how would we 'complete' the stadium but not increase the capacity?

I would imagine there are plans for it. It costs a fair bit of money to maintain and whilst it has a certain attraction to some supporters it does let the stadium down. I think it depends what long term plans Venky's have but anything is possible.

A new Riverside wouldn't need extra capacity. Look at the Deepdale pic... the stand on the right is much smaller but the roof is in line with the rest and fits in with the other 3 sides very well.

5,000 seats at the bottom and maybe boxes/office space above with the roof inline would look good for the Riverside. Would like the corners filled in too to keep the sound in, so maybe a modest increase by a few hundred if that was to happen. 3 stands would then be connected and would look and sound fantastic!

CERTAINLY DON'T REDUCE CAPACITY THOUGH!

5,000 seats at the bottom and maybe boxes/office space above with the roof inline would look good for the Riverside.

All good saying that but half of our current boxes are empty every game, don't think we'd need more.

• Backroom

I think rather than rebuild the riverside a more sensible approach would be to fill it with inflatable crocodiles. Maybe some on the roof too.

Seriously though, I imagine it would be a costly job and there would be a lot of restrictions due to the river behind it.

Maybe down the line.

All good saying that but half of our current boxes are empty every game, don't think we'd need more.

Wasn't part of Venky's remit to increase the fanbase and raise the profile of the club. If they can achieve that, empty seats and boxes will take care of themselves

Take a look at the Tom Finney stand at Deepdale,cost 4.4 million to build,holds around 7,500.An ideal modern replacement for the ruddy awful Riverside 'matchbox'.

Would also be a lovely touch to have Ronnie Clayton's image superimposed onto the seats.

Stand on left....

800px-Deepdalecomplete.jpg

Went last year when rovers played in that friendly (3-0) at bell end, thought that stand was @#/?!! waste of space and it made the rest of the ground look all out of proportion!!! i bet the nob enders were gutted when it was finally finished!!!!

Archived