BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves Preview 04/11/10

OhmiBRFC

Watched the highlights on match of the day. I know the highlights dont tell the whole story but -

Gosh Robinson is good. I wonder how many points he has saved for us this season.

That was a hell of a free kick from Pederson. Like a cruse missile with onboard computer it went level with the defense and then took a sharp right angled turn to present itself for our attack. ( I exagerate a tadd but it was jolly good) Presumably Pederson must be outstanding is some fantasy football competition.

don't worry they cut out the boring bits on MOTD

At least we were not the last gme again

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It amazes me that people could label the team and manager pathetic after a 3-0 win... You don't sit behind Abbey do you? ;)

We're in the top half of one of the toughest leagues in the work with zero investment for a few years.

That's some achievement when you look at what the teams around us have spent. Even the bottom 3 massively outspent us this summer.

Now hang on a minute rickster..did you see or hear me boo? I gave credit for a good 3 points but can't believe our leader stoppd us mid attack to get the ball back for an hump up pitch.were we gave possesion to wolves. Why do people assume if we had carried on the attack THEY would have scores 3 in 15 mins...even I think zzam can manage a team that could defend 3 v wolves

Watched it in full last night on Bulgarian TV. It was bitter sweet. The 3 points were fantastic but there were worrying signs. After his goal Dunny was invisible....why? Well the ball was in the air so much that it went over his head and nullified his existence. The wings were well used but Diouf had a poor performance for him.Roberts was incredible because he was so active.Wolves were very brittle and I did not like their no 3 at all.

All in all our style of play was poor and I think that's the Managers beliefs and tactics against the weaker teams in the League. Its alright for so long but not say for 5 years...you have to change...and our players are better than that.

Now the test is Bolton Away and evaluate our place in the world after that.Wish I could be there.

Watched the highlights on match of the day. I know the highlights dont tell the whole story but -

Gosh Robinson is good. I wonder how many points he has saved for us this season.

That was a hell of a free kick from Pederson. Like a cruse missile with onboard computer it went level with the defense and then took a sharp right angled turn to present itself for our attack. ( I exagerate a tadd but it was jolly good) Presumably Pederson must be outstanding is some fantasy football competition.

The free kick got better evrytime I watched it. Don't know why the pundits didn't make more of it instead of talking about how bad the Wolves defending was. I think it was almost undefendable as anyone touching it would probably have put it in.

Watched it in full last night on Bulgarian TV. It was bitter sweet. The 3 points were fantastic but there were worrying signs. After his goal Dunny was invisible....why? Well the ball was in the air so much that it went over his head and nullified his existence. The wings were well used but Diouf had a poor performance for him.Roberts was incredible because he was so active.Wolves were very brittle and I did not like their no 3 at all.

All in all our style of play was poor and I think that's the Managers beliefs and tactics against the weaker teams in the League. Its alright for so long but not say for 5 years...you have to change...and our players are better than that.

Now the test is Bolton Away and evaluate our place in the world after that.Wish I could be there.

Spot on. Good Post

You see what you want to see I guess. We didn't play hoofball and I'm sick of hearing that. For much of the match we played very good football indeed. The Salgado-Roberts-Emerton goal as been derided on here as hoofball but wrongly in my view. Salgado didn't just hit it in hope, he sent it into open territory where Roberts was one on one with a defender and could use his pace and strength to get clear. His control and flick to Emerton was excellent and Emerton's finish was outstanding. You never need to justify a goal anyway but that was a great one.

As for Dunn, I'd suggest he's still not fully match fit after a long lay-off and tired.

3-0 and worrying signs? If we were as bad as that then Wolves must have been a hell of a lot worse to lose 3-0 to us!

Let their fans do the worrying and moaning, we should be celebrating.

You see what you want to see I guess. We didn't play hoofball and I'm sick of hearing that. For much of the match we played very good football indeed. The Salgado-Roberts-Emerton goal as been derided on here as hoofball but wrongly in my view. Salgado didn't just hit it in hope, he sent it into open territory where Roberts was one on one with a defender and could use his pace and strength to get clear. His control and flick to Emerton was excellent and Emerton's finish was outstanding. You never need to justify a goal anyway but that was a great one.

As for Dunn, I'd suggest he's still not fully match fit after a long lay-off and tired.

3-0 and worrying signs? If we were as bad as that then Wolves must have been a hell of a lot worse to lose 3-0 to us!

Let their fans do the worrying and moaning, we should be celebrating.

you only see what your eyes want to see lol, I think salgado did hoof it a little bit to the target man to hold up.

turns out to be a a great goal in the end though, Emerton finished with such ease.

you only see what your eyes want to see lol, I think salgado did hoof it a little bit to the target man to hold up.

turns out to be a a great goal in the end though, Emerton finished with such ease.

Read what the Birmingham Mail and what Wolves fans have to say. They know they were thrashed as all commentators I've read do. Only Rovers "fans" doubt the extent of this victory.

Just about covers it really, good post mhead.

Not always. I wonder if Matt Derbyshire agrees, having been shipped out to Greece and then Brum following a naive decision trying to score the killer goal rather than time against Man City. Somewhat different circumstances but it's not as simple as saying we'll be rewarded for always going for goal.

They had the luxury of a three goals to nil cushion which means theres no excuse, excuses are completely ruled out on this one incident.

Is your memory playing tricks with you Bellamy ? Derbyshire hoofed the ball into the corner with the score at 2-1 and no Rovers player anywhere near, from this City collected the ball came up field and scored a last minute equaliser because silly Matty threw away possesion.

You see what you want to see I guess. We didn't play hoofball and I'm sick of hearing that.

Indeed you do but when everyone else see's what you see, it's usually right.

We didn't play hoofball and I'm sick of hearing that.

Another sign of self-delusion perhaps?

Yeah spot on they could have lost by seven had the home team not refused to cross the halfway line whilst carrying the ball.

There was a chance to undo some of the serious damage done last week, now missed.

There was a chance to undo some of the serious damage done last week, now missed.

What tripe Oscar.

3-0 isn't enough for you, so you still hang on to the 7-1 scoreline? C'mon mate, that's ridiculous. 4 wins out of the last 6 is exceptional, why don't you look at that?

What tripe Oscar.

3-0 isn't enough for you, so you still hang on to the 7-1 scoreline? C'mon mate, that's ridiculous. 4 wins out of the last 6 is exceptional, why don't you look at that?

Some people prefer to look at the whole picture rather than just the focal point.

The fans who booed second half for me were totally justified. What happened on that field was not positive at all when the chance to create a goalscoring chance was decided against WTF and the ball moved backwards all the way to the goalkeeper.

Theres a valuable lesson to be learnt here for all the players.... fortune favours the brave especially when you've got the ball in the opponents final third.

I would have been happiest of all to see us stringing 20-30 passes together over and over until the final whistle. If the fans are so important it would surely have brought 'ole's' rather than boos. It's an important and frequently necessary skill that we don't seem to be very good at and which really winds me up. We give our opponenets the ball far too easily at times. Keepball is imo a much more valuable lesson than chancing 3 points on some foolhardy 'fortune favours the brave' tactic...... remember JAL it didn't do much for the Light Brigade did it?

Was it an Allardyce order? I noticed that he was frantically waving the team forward (or telling them to stop sitting so deep)for the last 15 mins.

I've already mentioned that. Unfortunately those amongst us with closed minds only believe what they want to. Turn into a lemming and blame the manager is a lot easier than thinking for oneself it seems.

Keepball is imo a much more valuable lesson than chancing 3 points on some foolhardy 'fortune favours the brave' tactic...... remember JAL it didn't do much for the Light Brigade did it?

You big girls blouse. Talk about a drama queen.

3 nil up with twenty minutes left against the worst footballing side in the division, who hadn't troubled our keeper since the first minute, the result was never in doubt.

Dont know as I sit at the opposite end of the ground.

Which part of the ground does not allow you to see a manager stood on the half way line? :blink:

Not always. I wonder if Matt Derbyshire agrees, having been shipped out to Greece and then Brum following a naive decision trying to score the killer goal rather than time against Man City. Somewhat different circumstances but it's not as simple as saying we'll be rewarded for always going for goal.

He was shipped out for not being good enough. The final straw imoi was when he was snuffed out of the game by Blyth Spartans semi pro centre half.

I see there's a debate ranging about the decision to keep ball near the end of the match.......

..........In about the 85th minute, morris was pushing forward quickly. He spotted a killer ball over to his right which would have put mama diouf in on goal. He attempted the 40 yard pass and it was intercepted - just. I was watching sam and he went mental. Wolves went straight up the other end, and robbo pulled off a save for a corner. Big sam was beside himself with anger.

I think every other Prem manager would have been similarly angry with him for that..... I certainly was.

Keepball is imo a much more valuable lesson than chancing 3 points on some foolhardy 'fortune favours the brave' tactic...... remember JAL it didn't do much for the Light Brigade did it?

Well, that's the thing. It would be nice if we TRIED to keep hold of the ball. It would have stretched an already ragged Wolves side and we could have capitalized as they pushed up. Instead, we just pelted it straight back to them. If not for Robbo's heroics, it would have very easily been 3-2 because of that tactic. I think some fans are displeased because it's a running theme under the manager and we know the lack of ambition is going to bite us on the ass again soon.

They had the luxury of a three goals to nil cushion which means theres no excuse, excuses are completely ruled out on this one incident.

Is your memory playing tricks with you Bellamy ? Derbyshire hoofed the ball into the corner with the score at 2-1 and no Rovers player anywhere near, from this City collected the ball came up field and scored a last minute equaliser because silly Matty threw away possesion.

Maybe it is. I thought he tried to put someone (Emerton?) through when he just had to take it into the corner and kill the game.

It's not the same situation but you said fortunte favours the brave as though that was conclusive proof of why we shouldn't try and kill time/possession when in an attacking position. I gave you an example of why that isn't necessarily true.

That delivery was as good a free kick as I have seen all season. By the time it got to Nelsen it almost became a square pass.

I would have been happiest of all to see us stringing 20-30 passes together over and over until the final whistle. If the fans are so important it would surely have brought 'ole's' rather than boos. It's an important and frequently necessary skill that we don't seem to be very good at and which really winds me up. We give our opponenets the ball far too easily at times. Keepball is imo a much more valuable lesson than chancing 3 points on some foolhardy 'fortune favours the brave' tactic...... remember JAL it didn't do much for the Light Brigade did it?

Lets go back to the beginning of this incident Thenodrog, the numbers were equal, the away defence was there clearly for the taking, unlike the odds being totally stacked against them in the charge of the light brigade which is a scenario so completely different to this one that it becomes highly inaccurate to try to even begin to compare the two.

As the ball was passed backwards along our left side, hurrying at points, putting our own players unexpectedly under pressure, the ball ends up back at the goalie. We lost possession pretty soon after all of this didnt we.

Point taken that we arent very good at keeping possession, but that moment was one opportunity to have a real go at Wolves a small number booed and perfectly so. We didnt look very good,so the fundemental question is why did the player, the attacking player do that and slow play down, and go backwards, side ways to start with, surely its a good coaching point to correct.

Maybe it is. I thought he tried to put someone (Emerton?) through when he just had to take it into the corner and kill the game.

It's not the same situation but you said fortunte favours the brave as though that was conclusive proof of why we shouldn't try and kill time/possession when in an attacking position. I gave you an example of why that isn't necessarily true.

Fortune favours the brave, any coach will say once your in the final third anything goes, try anything, have a go, the goals are there, get that ball into that bloody net. Easier said than done but that will kill time, celebrating another goal.

What would Graeme Souness or Mark Hughes reaction been to this scenario ?

Archived