BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves Preview 04/11/10

OhmiBRFC

I have to disagree with that bit about Jones completely, I think Jones has been excellent in the last two home games against Wolves and Villa.

As for last week, who did perform that day? So unfair to single out Jones.

Think hes in need of a well earned rest Rev.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a fair point to make - if you take your eye off the ball slightly against the established "big four" then maybe against Spurs and Citeh as well because "hey we can't compete with them can we?" all of a sudden you're trying to get your 40-50 points from 26 games instead of 38.

Wendy asked Robbo after the game about the targets set by Sam. He admitted targets are set but wouldn't discuss them further, I wonder why.

Being a young promising English boy probably gets him a few more points than he really merits.

Told today that Samba collapsed mid week in training due to being unwell. Think Samba wasnt 100% fully fit today and when you look at it like this he's performed very well given the circumstances.

Which makes Nelsen's performance all the more remarkable if you ask me.

And if what you say is true, why not bring Hanley on? The game was won early in the 2nd half - it would've made perfect sense to rest an ailing Samba wouldn't it?

Thought Samba was incredibly poor today with Doyle giving him a torrid time, whereas the much maligned Nelsen was magnificent.

The New Zealander often gets a bad press on here (apart from RIML of course) and is often proclaimed as 'finished' but today he was anything but.

Good point re: Nelsen, he's hit a rare patch of form recently, probably back to the sort of form he was showing before his serious injury a couple of years ago.

As for Samba he has been a bit below par just recently. Hope no-one is trying to turn his head in advance of the transfer window.

EDit: Just seen the above rumour about Samba being ill. If it's true, hope he is soon fully recovered.

It's a fair point to make - if you take your eye off the ball slightly against the established "big four" then maybe against Spurs and Citeh as well because "hey we can't compete with them can we?" all of a sudden you're trying to get your 40-50 points from 26 games instead of 38.

But at home we've been pretty good against the big clubs. And away to City we got an excellent point.

So that's five of our hardest games of the season away from home - even under Hughes and in our good Sounness years we would have been delighted with 4-5 points from those five games, but equally we could have just as easily lost all those games too without much concerns raised. What is disappointing however is the manner of the defeats, but we've progressed from being generally awful against the big teams to just being awful away against the big teams.

Sam's quietly rectified a few things during his time here so here's hoping he does so in those games - but it will make much more of a difference to pride than it will to our points tally.

• Backroom

Just want to make another point about Robinson, superb from him today coming off condeding 7 last week, really seems to be made of the right stuff, his head could have been down today but didn't miss a beat, a perfect goalkeeping performance.

Which makes Nelsen's performance all the more remarkable if you ask me.

And if what you say is true, why not bring Hanley on? The game was won early in the 2nd half - it would've made perfect sense to rest an ailing Samba wouldn't it?

First half in particular Samba looked a little bit off, but second half thought he was immense and stood upto the task really well when Wolves attacked Rovers.

Problem with Rovers second half was losing posession by either opting to make the harder, longer pass, rather than play it short and simple, plus some of the crosses from the left, in particular El Hadj Diouf, who more than once delivered a poor cross into the box and when young Morris when he came on, he tried a couple of cross field passes that conceded posession easily allowing Wolves to come away and attack.

They're much better going forward than we are, we don't have a goalscorer like Bent, Gyan or Carroll on our books.

Like I said I would have liked to see us go for more than 3 and granted I was a little disappointed we didn't, but when it's the main talking point for some people after the game it says everything.

Well Bent and Gyan Didnt do much against Newcastle did they and Carroll is'nt exactly an out an out goalscorer, People just want to see some attacking football and goals scored from open play against a team that goals could be scored against.

When we get a win you are the first on here trying to pick an argument in your usual condescending tone with people that try to point out anything else apart from a glorious win but I dont recall you having much to say last week. We played ok today but did nothing outstanding apart from score 2 goals from set pieces and one from a long ball, Wolves had plenty of chances and if not for some very good goalkeeping the game could have been a very different scoreline.

I myself am very happy today with the result and I give credit to Sam and I dont critisize him one bit for his defensive tactics when we went 3-0 up, the last thing we needed was to concede today after last weeks debacle and im sure that a clean sheet will have built the defence and keepers confidence tenfold, but thats not so say that other posters are wrong maybe a bigger win would have done more for the team.

I have to disagree with that bit about Jones completely, I think Jones has been excellent in the last two home games against Wolves and Villa.

As for last week, who did perform that day? So unfair to single out Jones.

Morris performed well last week, and today I thought. But I think it hard to critize Jones he was very good today (his breakway was excellent) and last week he was a long way from being the worse.

Morris and Jones both have a future in the PL. Would have liked Hanley to get a chance also.

When we get a win you are the first on here trying to pick an argument in your usual condescending tone with people that try to point out anything else apart from a glorious win but I dont recall you having much to say last week. We played ok today but did nothing outstanding apart from score 2 goals from set pieces and one from a long ball, Wolves had plenty of chances and if not for some very good goalkeeping the game could have been a very different scoreline.

I'm pretty sure I posted last week that we were awful, Sam had clearly got the tactics wrong for us to lose so badly - which he did - but we'd won 3 out of 4 before that and we needed to put the result behind us vs Wolves. Which we did.

If we win 3-0 and all some people can still do is criticise the manager then I think I'm entitled to object. Whether you feel my tone is condescending or note - frankly I could not give a toss.

I'm pretty sure I posted last week that we were awful, Sam had clearly got the tactics wrong for us to lose so badly - which he did - but we'd won 3 out of 4 before that and we needed to put the result behind us vs Wolves. Which we did.

If we win 3-0 and all some people can still do is criticise the manager then I think I'm entitled to object. Whether you feel my tone is condescending or note - frankly I could not give a toss.

People did'nt criticise Sam they criticised the decision to sit back when we could have had more goals, the fact that you decided it was about Sam says that you feel the need to jump to his defence for sake of argument, Its not that the you choose to defend Sam at every possible opportunity, its the fact that your opinion is matter of fact and its only your opinion that counts.

But you dont give a toss about other opinions or your tone so its pretty pointless to try and discuss anything with you.

Your arrogance is overwhelming, predictable and totally boring, you contribute nothing to discussions apart form your one sided view which is all that matters eh.

What does that even mean? It's just guesswork.

Do you seriously think that Fat Sam writes off games and doesn't care if we get a result or not? How does that explain the Chelsea performance at home both this season and last? City away? Arsenal home last season? Arsenal home this season when we played well?

We may well be adopting the wrong tactics against them, and should be attacking more, not to mention trying not to soak up pressure against the best attacking sides in the league, but your insinuations are ridiculous. It's just daft to think that would be what the feeling was.

With an ego the size of Sam's...he ain't going to want to lose to the big boys, surely?

Sam's Bolton side were known as Arsenal's bogey team for crying out loud...and that was when Arsenal had the likes of Henry, Viera and Bergkamp.

"hey we can't compete with them can we?". Yeah, Sam must just think...I don't want any points from these games, we have Wolves at home soon!

It ain't about taking your eye off the ball. It's about getting the tactics right AND hoping they have an off day. We ain't doing it, obviously, but do you really believe they think "hey we can't compete with them can we?"

and on another day we could have lost.

Bolton will be a good yardstick.

And on another day we could have drawn, but we won, so be happy.

Bolton will be a good test, and no doubt you will celebrate a Rovers defeat to justify another ludicrous pop at the manager.

• Backroom

These boards are like war at the minute it seems nobody is allowed an opinion without being jumped on, you're either a Sam lover or a Sam hater it seems. Most of us however are just Rovers and care about the club and can see both positives and negatives and assess games as we see them but even then people are lining up to have a pop if it doesn't agree with their agendas.

Can we have a truce for Christmae maybe?

Paul Robinson surely was the man of the match, Jason Roberts is by far the best forward at Rovers by along shot, Dunny just not fit enough, and young Phil Jones offered nothing for the team for the second week on the run, but hey, we won, absolutely GREAT !

Stunned by that comment. No one offered much of anything last week but I think he was good today. The lad is a lot faster than I thought too, not out of the blocks but over a bit of distance. He's what 18 or 19 playing out of position in the premier league, gaining respect from most anyone and some of his own fans seem to be able to do nowt but knock the lad. Baffles me it really does

Morris performed well last week, and today I thought. But I think it hard to critize Jones he was very good today (his breakway was excellent) and last week he was a long way from being the worse.

Morris and Jones both have a future in the PL. Would have liked Hanley to get a chance also.

You can tell that about Morris from that performance? He did absolutely nothing when on the pitch, but he wasn't helped by being asked to play as part of a back five. He looked uncomfortable in that position and was often simply marking space.

These boards are like war at the minute it seems nobody is allowed an opinion without being jumped on, you're either a Sam lover or a Sam hater it seems. Most of us however are just Rovers and care about the club and can see both positives and negatives and assess games as we see them but even then people are lining up to have a pop if it doesn't agree with their agendas.

Can we have a truce for Christmae maybe?

Someone needing to call a truce after a 3-0 win the Premiership says it all, IMHO...

People did'nt criticise Sam they criticised the decision to sit back when we could have had more goals, the fact that you decided it was about Sam says that you feel the need to jump to his defence for sake of argument, Its not that the you choose to defend Sam at every possible opportunity, its the fact that your opinion is matter of fact and its only your opinion that counts.

But you dont give a toss about other opinions or your tone so its pretty pointless to try and discuss anything with you.

Your arrogance is overwhelming, predictable and totally boring, you contribute nothing to discussions apart form your one sided view which is all that matters eh.

"One sided view" - yep, that's why I said that Sam was to blame for our shocker last week and why I said I also wouldve liked to have seen us press forward more after 3-0 but it was a pretty minor consideration. Unlike the major issue some people here have made it out to be.

I honestly can't remember any of your contributions from this board, good or bad - they're that pointless.

Stunned by that comment. No one offered much of anything last week but I think he was good today. The lad is a lot faster than I thought too, not out of the blocks but over a bit of distance. He's what 18 or 19 playing out of position in the premier league, gaining respect from most anyone and some of his own fans seem to be able to do nowt but knock the lad. Baffles me it really does

Agree that comment should result in some sort of ban for a period of time.

Jones was excellent today in there with MGP, they compliment each other quite well I feel. Think Jones is learning the defensive midfieler role now, perhaps his best performance of the season for me.

And on another day we could have drawn, but we won, so be happy.

Bolton will be a good test, and no doubt you will celebrate a Rovers defeat to justify another ludicrous pop at the manager.

Bolton will be an excellent test. And I have every confidence that we'll get something from it.

You can tell that about Morris from that performance? He did absolutely nothing when on the pitch, but he wasn't helped by being asked to play as part of a back five. He looked uncomfortable in that position and was often simply marking space.

Sam was obviously in burn down the clock mode and gave Morris instructions accordingly. And from what I saw, Morris moved and passed well, found good positions and space, did not give up the ball and, in general, played his assigned role well in the time he was on the pitch. All said, he should be pleased with himself. Two games straight with the Rovers and he played above expectations, IMO. I believe he will be a versatile and valuable player for the Rovers as the season rolls on.

So I'd say we have a difference of opinion.

Great win for the Rovers. Didn't look in doubt once we got our noses in front.

Big shout out to our 'veterans' Robinson, Nelson, Emerton, Peds and Roberts. When you look at other teams around us, they have some exciting players but not those with the experience and influence that these players can have when they're playing well. 3 of those players are 100% Rovers in terms of their premier league careers as well.

Agree with others on here that Bolton next week will be the big test.

Great win for the Rovers. Didn't look in doubt once we got our noses in front.

Big shout out to our 'veterans' Robinson, Nelson, Emerton, Peds and Roberts. When you look at other teams around us, they have some exciting players but not those with the experience and influence that these players can have when they're playing well. 3 of those players are 100% Rovers in terms of their premier league careers as well.

Agree with others on here that Bolton next week will be the big test.

Roberts is in great from. The cynic in me says he's playing for his next club. Still its nice to see.

Archived