BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves Preview 04/11/10

OhmiBRFC

You'll construe anything as a slight against Sam in order to get your high-horse.

Such as?

It was clearly an observation. Kalinic is so highly-rated that Mame Diouf & a half-fit Benjani all got picked ahead of him. Doesn't say a lot for the manager's faith in him.

Kalinic wasn't even expected to be fit for today, he's been injured for a few weeks, maybe just maybe that could have something to do with why he didn't get on?

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll construe anything as a slight against Sam in order to get your high-horse.

Such as?

It was clearly an observation. Kalinic is so highly-rated that Mame Diouf & a half-fit Benjani all got picked ahead of him. Doesn't say a lot for the manager's faith in him.

Hasn't kalinic been injured? if so letting him have an extra match rest, when three nil up. is not a bad choice in my view. Why risk when there is not the need to. Benjani on the other hand needs the match fitness.

No construing required by me at all, the tone of your posts involving Sam is clear to all.

That's because you only read what you want to read. I've given Sam credit where it's due, doesn't mean I have to be ecstatic that he's our manager. But carry on, you obviously know me inside out.

You know Kalinic has started 10 out of 16 league games? Nothing at all to suggest Sam doesn't have faith in him.

Now we have some striking options he's being overlooked.

Le Chuck - Sam does get massive kudos for the win, but I think it is legitimate to ask why Hoilett wasn't brough on. His pace and directness would have caused huge problems for a Wolves defence at sea

I'd question 'legitimate' when we've won so comfortably.

We won 3-0 and could have scored more. I think the manager has earned to right for us to back his decisions on a day like this, instead of questioning every tiny one he makes.

That's because you only read what you want to read. I've given Sam credit where it's due, doesn't mean I have to be ecstatic that he's our manager. But carry on, you obviously know me inside out.

Now we have some striking options he's being overlooked.

Oh the beautiful irony.

Here's you declaring Sam's opinion of Kalinic, in spite of all available statistics, and you come out with a line like that.

I'll just leave you to it, you're doing a better of job of showing yourself up then I ever could.

looking at other results today im expecting us to be fairly high in the order on MOTD... yeah right

Now now don't be too hopeful. You know the Blackburn Bashers Club don't like us on tv. They reluctantly squeeze us on at then end.

Not really MrE, the defenders all played very well. Wolves were throwing everything forward and our weakness in midfield meant that we couldn't keep hold of the ball.

Our midfield is worse than our defense, but to say our defenders played "very well" is nuts. They didn't play much better than last week, the difference is Wolves couldn't get past Robinson. As good as we sometimes like to think Samba and Nelsen are, they are often too slow or too clumsy to deal with the ball properly.

Oh the beautiful irony.

Here's you declaring Sam's opinion of Kalinic, in spite of all available statistics, and you come out with a line like that.

I'll just leave you to it, you're doing a better of job of showing yourself up then I ever could.

Kalinic was just about the only available striker at the club until Sam brought Roberts in from the cold and signed Benjani. Hardly a ringing endorsement that he started 10 games.

I know people say Kalinic wasn't 100% fit, but if he's good enough for the bench he's good enough for a run-out.

Sam spent 6 million pounds on him, that in itself is a big endorsement BUT do you play players based on form or price tags? Roberts and ben have both been playing really well as has diouf so why change things. Even Rooney has been benched by united as others have been in better form, it's all about the squad.

• Backroom

Well I would have snatched your hand off if you offered me 3-0 pre match so happy days.

May as well get a couple of small negatives out of the way (I know they should be ignored when we have won 3-0 but I feel like mentioning them):

Dunny took his goal well but otherwise didn't offer anything, his current offerings were summed up when he looked to be clean through but his pace meant that it turned into a non chance. I would have liked to have seen Hoilett on when Dunn came off, MB Diouf came on and to me looked a bit lazy and uninterested.

Also I would have liked to have seen us go for it a bit at 3-0, for a couple of minutes after we looked great and then just sat back and let them attack us and if not for Robbo being superb it could have got twitchy.

Now that's out of the way some of the lads were just brilliant today.

Robbo - Some truly world class saves today, Paul Ince got one right here!

Nelsen and Samba - both rock solid

Salgado - great passion and seemed as likely and willing to get forward as anyone towards the end

Jones - coming on leaps and bounds still and starting to look comfortable on the ball, needs to have a pop at goal sometimes though

Pedersen - his delivery in general was top notch and every time he got a cross in it looked dangerous. Early on when we were struggling to get a grip on the game he dropped deep, picked up the ball and played a sublime ball in behind the Wolves defence down the left, from then on we seemed a lot more comforttable on the ball. Vitally important to us at present.

Roberts - Deserved a goal, works so hard and his touch for Emerton was class

To be up to 8th is great now let's push on in this vital month, well done boys.

Our midfield is worse than our defense, but to say our defenders played "very well" is nuts. They didn't play much better than last week, the difference is Wolves couldn't get past Robinson. As good as we sometimes like to think Samba and Nelsen are, they are often too slow or too clumsy to deal with the ball properly.

Well they did. Salgado got caught on the wrong side of his man a couple of times in the second half and Givet (as always) offered nothing going forward. Apart from that the back four all did a very good job under a lot of pressure.

Robbo did make a lot of saves but Samba and Nelsen also made lots of interceptions and the two fullbacks put in plenty of good tackles. The amount of pressure were put under was IMO due to Wolves playing quite gung-ho and our midfield not being able to keep possession.

I'm delighted with today's result and is a great answer to last weeks pasting by United. I can't believe that we are up to 8th in the league. Goes to show how congested the league is and how far a win can propel you up the league. If we can get a few more results like this before January, it will help us to push even further up the table, maybe giving us a chance to challenge for Europe and make us a more attractive option for any players that we maybe trying to buy in January.

Great result, and some good performances particularly Jones and Salgado. I'm not his biggest fan but special mention for Pedersen today too as his deliveries were by and large excellent. However MOM should have been Robbo who pretty much singlehandedly ensured the clean sheet and made some superb saves. Good second goal too, which showed exactly what Jason Roberts is all about. Still think him and Niko could make a good partnership if only given the chance.

Overall though, and despite the fact we won 3-0 we were pretty poor. If Wolves had someone who could finish, Robbo didn't have such a good game and we didn't enjoy some huge slices of luck we could quite easily have lost today. It certainly didn't feel like a 3-0 win though if you now what I mean ....

We should really have gone on and tried to claw back some of last week's damage to the goal difference however, instead of sitting back after 70 mins - but hey, that's the Allardyce way. Seemed to be enough people booing to be heard fairly clearly at the lack of ambition toward the end, and while I think that's totally an extreme reaction I can see why they were frustrated. Still can't believe how we managed to balls up a 4-on-2 at the end though.

Great result - delighted with the points.

However, defence started where it left off at OT and we could have been behind very early on. In fact against a better side than Wolves it could have been very different indeed. Not sure how a defender won MotM either.

Roberts played really well - illustrated by the fact that when he went off virtually nothing stuck with Benjani

My one huge frustration was at the end where we did our usual thing of having opportunities to break in the final third and instead of going for it we slow it up and end up passing it back to Robinson to hoof.

Hopefully we can get 10 points or more this month and give us the opportunity to use the January window to build from a position of relative strength

Archived