SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves Preview 04/11/10

OhmiBRFC

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great result.

In recent years, at home Rovers have developed the habit of beating those teams that they should beat. Long may it continue.

Watched Final Score on BBC TV. Gabbi Logan said "Rovers are 8th. That is amazing isn't it?"

It perhaps shows the underlying perception of Rovers, that we are expected to be just above the relegation zone. However, I think its great when it is realised that we can be, and are, more than that.

Overall though, and despite the fact we won 3-0 we were pretty poor. If Wolves had someone who could finish, Robbo didn't have such a good game and we didn't enjoy some huge slices of luck we could quite easily have lost today. It certainly didn't feel like a 3-0 win though if you now what I mean ....

We should really have gone on and tried to claw back some of last week's damage to the goal difference however, instead of sitting back after 70 mins - but hey, that's the Allardyce way. Seemed to be enough people booing to be heard fairly clearly at the lack of ambition toward the end, and while I think that's totally an extreme reaction I can see why they were frustrated. Still can't believe how we managed to balls up a 4-on-2 at the end though.

If, if, if. If Dunn, Emerton and Nelsen had not scored the match would have ended 0-0 too.

Unbelieveable. Some folk are never happy.

With "supporters" like this who needs enemies ?

Great result, and some good performances particularly Jones and Salgado. I'm not his biggest fan but special mention for Pedersen today too as his deliveries were by and large excellent. However MOM should have been Robbo who pretty much singlehandedly ensured the clean sheet and made some superb saves. Good second goal too, which showed exactly what Jason Roberts is all about. Still think him and Niko could make a good partnership if only given the chance.

Overall though, and despite the fact we won 3-0 we were pretty poor. If Wolves had someone who could finish, Robbo didn't have such a good game and we didn't enjoy some huge slices of luck we could quite easily have lost today. It certainly didn't feel like a 3-0 win though if you now what I mean ....

We should really have gone on and tried to claw back some of last week's damage to the goal difference however, instead of sitting back after 70 mins - but hey, that's the Allardyce way. Seemed to be enough people booing to be heard fairly clearly at the lack of ambition toward the end, and while I think that's totally an extreme reaction I can see why they were frustrated. Still can't believe how we managed to balls up a 4-on-2 at the end though.

Felt like a 3 - 0 to me and I didn't think Wolves were going to score after hitting the post and crossbar. We actually played some bloody good stuff...

Great result, and some good performances particularly Jones and Salgado. I'm not his biggest fan but special mention for Pedersen today too as his deliveries were by and large excellent. However MOM should have been Robbo who pretty much singlehandedly ensured the clean sheet and made some superb saves. Good second goal too, which showed exactly what Jason Roberts is all about. Still think him and Niko could make a good partnership if only given the chance.

I only watched the entire game online but I thought we played some excellent football at times- on the ground too. It was quite noticeable that we were mixing it up throughout the game (long balls and short).

If Man Utd didnt have Berbatov playing against us last week and we had all our players fit and available then we could have quite easily avoided a 7-1 drubbing last week- hypoothetical scenarios are pointless. We played a Wolves team having lost 7-1 the week before, the players were clearly nervous at the beginning but after 10 minutes I think we bossed the match. I heard somewhere that this is the third time this season that we have bounced back after a defeat to win the following match- that is HUGE credit to the manager and his staff to be able to lift and motivate the players. We also have a run of winnable games coming up and should be in comfortable in mid table before the window opens.

Correct and then camped out on the edge of our box.

Yep, the expert decided we'd had enough entertainment for the day.

Wolves were ready to cumble once we had gone three up, instead of trying to make up our goal difference we sat back and let Wolves confidence grow. In the end we could have conceeded a few late goals

Let's get this right...

8th in the league, 3-0 up...and people are criticising the choice of substitution?Unbelievable, it really is.

From distance I'd imagine which of course counts for nowt. Blackburn appears to have more 'experts' than enough. :rolleyes:

I agree with some of what you say but for 70 mins of the match we were not "pretty poor" - we were really bloody good both offensively and defensively! The last 20 we lost our shape imo and could have easily conceded (Robbo's outstanding performance aside). I think it is hard to argue that the subsitiutions were the correct moves as we lost all impetus. However on balance it was a very commendable outing!

Bolton next week will be a real interesting test. They are doing very well - as well as any team in our "bracket" can do realistically in the prem - so if we can beat them we reasonably can start hoping to better last years tenth imo.

I was all bubbly and upbeat until I read the absolute rubbish posted on here.

There is a whole bunch of posters have forfeited any right whatsoever to criticise my posts.

A 3-0 win in the Prem is a 3-0 win. Nobody can take anything away from that. Onwards and upwards.

It was clearly an observation. Kalinic is so highly-rated that Mame Diouf & a half-fit Benjani all got picked ahead of him. Doesn't say a lot for the manager's faith in him.

Every player no matter who it is suffers from loss of form at some time or another. Depending on temperament they are either allowed to play on or are given a rest. What do you know of Kalinic's temperament and character Topman?

Also when a player is underperforming it's unfair not to give the rest of the squad a chance. If Kalinic is not firing on all cylinders yet keeps being selected then what does that do for the confidence of the rest of the squad? There is psychology at work of which you can know nothing. Just stick to judging the team on results.

Bolton next week will be a real interesting test. They are doing very well - as well as any team in our "bracket" can do realistically in the prem - so if we can beat them we reasonably can start hoping to better last years tenth imo.

This amazing season Bolton are having has left them 2 points ahead of us. If we beat them, then we will overtake them.

Yet, Coyle is declared some kind of footballing renaissance man whereas Allardyce is a dinosaur.

Or does it all just come down to style over substance?

There is a whole bunch of posters have forfeited any right whatsoever to criticise my posts.

A 3-0 win in the Prem is a 3-0 win. Nobody can take anything away from that. Onwards and upwards.

It is the same at Ewood (booing at 3-0 up), I am afraid Sam will continue to be a divisive figure until the day he goes.

If, if, if. If Dunn, Emerton and Nelsen had not scored the match would have ended 0-0 too.

Unbelieveable. Some folk are never happy.

With "supporters" like this who needs enemies ?

We won. It was a good result. We played OK in patches. I'm happy we've got 3 points and are now in 8th. However, the midfield defended poorly, Samba is having his mid-season dip and on another day we could have lost.

Instead of your constant, snide criticisms of other posters and the Tories try and post something constructive once in while Jim. You come across exactly like one of the Old Gits, the Harry Enfield characters. Perhaps you should have that as your avatar - it would be entirely appropriate.

Felt like a 3 - 0 to me and I didn't think Wolves were going to score after hitting the post and crossbar. We actually played some bloody good stuff...

We played some decent stuff between our first and third goals, but up to the first it was dull, dull, dull - that bad that some people near me were chanting 'stand up, if you're still awake!' After the third we sat back and camped instead of going for it and putting them to the sword, and Wolves had some pretty decent chances. Good to see that we are beginning to take chances that come our way more consistently these days though.

I agree with some of what you say but for 70 mins of the match we were not "pretty poor" - we were really bloody good both offensively and defensively! The last 20 we lost our shape imo and could have easily conceded (Robbo's outstanding performance aside). I think it is hard to argue that the subsitiutions were the correct moves as we lost all impetus. However on balance it was a very commendable outing!

Bolton will be a good yardstick.

I thought we won well, the stats probably don't back that up but most of their chances came after the game was over. Robbo deserves his clean sheet bonus. Dunn still looks well off the pace but games will do him good. Roberts had another good game and looks as good as he has at any time since we signed him.

The stats which I saw were.

Chances on target 7-7

Chances off target 3-3

Corners 8-6

Posession 43-57

and the one that mattered 3-0

I think the booing from the Rovers fans happened when we broke 3 against 2 in the last ten minutes and Mama Diouf faced with a clear run dropped his pace to a slow saunter losing the chance. It was very frustrating but the howls from the crowd seemed to inspire the team to a 30+ pass move.

Delighted with the win. I normally criticise JR but his flick for Emerton's goal was sublime. Great finish by Brett too.

Clinical, we looked a bit vulnerable defensively at times, but Robbo was immense.

Think the poor start was nerves maybe?

Guess Niko didn't get on due to his injury - why risk it?

Bolton will be a good yardstick.

Good post, Mark. We beat a poor Wolves side today, and Robbo has to take a lot of credit. I think the Bolton game will really show how far this team can go this season, especially since we won't have home advantage to fall back on.

Wouldn't Newcastle away be a good yardstick considering how they have been playing, one game will not determine anything, I am pleased with the teams performance minus a number of key players who hopefully once fit will enable us to play a better standard of football.

I assume you are referring to the critisism of some that we didn't 'go for it' in the second half?

Firstly, I am sure everyone went home pleased with a 3-0 win.

There seemed to be alot in the Blackburn End getting frustrated. It stemmed from a breakaway around the 86th minute. We had been sitting back most of the half, despite Wolves looking very suspect at the back. It was two on two yet 40 seconds later rather than being 4-0 up the ball was back with Robinson - Most fans aren't stupid - if we were 1-0 up with 5 mins to go you can understand trying to kill the game. However, we weren't - We were 3-0 up against relegation fodder. We were never going to lose from that position.

Can you imagine any of the to 6 clubs not trying to hammer the opposition? We know from playing the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal in the past that they can easilly put 3 past you in the last 6 - 7 mins. It is a statement of intent.

There is a strange atmosphere (or complete lack of atmosphere) around Ewood, especially the BBE at the moment. This may be linked to some of the singers going to the Darwen End or a general apathy towards the manager/team. Nobody was surprised we sat back at 3-0. Nobody was surprised we went backwards when 2 on 2. You just keep hoping we will see a change in mentality - but it never comes.

The shadow of Big Sam looms large over Ewood. We are an efficient team, we will be safe. nothing more. Why did I leave still Ewood feeling a little flat despite our best win of the season? I never did under Hughes, Souness, Hodgson, Harford, Dalglish, Mackay, Bobby Saxton, Howard Kendall...

Seen nothing of the game today, so from a purely result stand point, very pleased with the result indeed. It's still a very congested table, but I'd certainly rather be 8th looking down than 17th and saying 3 wins and we cold go 6th. We're right in the mix now. Like I thought Gamst proved to be decisive today, especially from set-pieces. He really is a valuable player for us at present.

Just one point on Diouf senior. I seem to remember in the deepest recesses of Winter last year he was shocking for a couple of months and he put it down to it being so cold. He said he found it hard to play in those conditions, and his form subsequently picked up in the Spring. Maybe an explanation for him being a bit off the pace today, and he might drop away a touch in the next few months.

Very pleased with today's result, hopefully it can be the catalyst for a great December.

I also reserve special praise for Howard Webb today, he was utterly outstanding. I'd go so far as to say that it was one of the finest refereeing performances I have seen at Ewood, or anywhere, in a long, long time. As far as i'm concerned he was faultless and judged the character of the game perfectly. It's a huge relief to see a referee unafraid of telling players to get up and get on with it too!

Once again, well done Ref. What a pleasure it was to have a top quality referee in charge.

I assume you are referring to the critisism of some that we didn't 'go for it' in the second half?

Firstlty, I am sure everyone went home pleased with a 3-0 win.

There seemed to be alot in the Blackburn End getting frustrated. It stemmed from a breakaway around the 86th minute. We had been sitting back most of the half, despite Wolves looking very suspect at the back. It was two on two yet 40 seconds later rather than being 4-0 up the ball was back with Robinson - Most fans aren't stupid - if we were 1-0 up with 5 mins to go you can understand trying to kill the game. However, we weren't - We were 3-0 up against relegation fodder. We were never going to lose from that position.

Can you imagine any of the to 6 clubs not trying to hammer the opposition? We know from playing the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal in the past that they can easilly put 3 past you in the last 6 - 7 mins. It is a statement of intent.

There is a strange atmosphere (or complete lack of atmosphere) around Ewood, especially the BBE at the moment. This may be linked to some of the singers going to the Darwen End or a general apathy towards the manager/team. Nobody was surprised we sat back at 3-0. Nobody was surprised we went backwards when 2 on 2. You just keep hoping we will see a change in mentality - but it never comes.

The shadow of Big Sam looms large over Ewood. We are an efficient team, we will be safe. nothing more. Why did I leave still Ewood feeling a little flat despite our best win of the season? I never did under Hughes, Souness, Hodgson, Harford, Dalglish, Mackay, Bobby Saxton, Howard Kendall...

Sums it up for me - great result, very happy, but strangely frustrated we did not really turn the screw at the end. Nothing against Sam but 3-0 against a side like Wolves is not the time to be playing it safe...

Archived