BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves Preview 04/11/10

OhmiBRFC

There is a strange atmosphere (or complete lack of atmosphere) around Ewood, especially the BBE at the moment. This may be linked to some of the singers going to the Darwen End or a general apathy towards the manager/team. Nobody was surprised we sat back at 3-0. Nobody was surprised we went backwards when 2 on 2. You just keep hoping we will see a change in mentality - but it never comes.

Your spot on regarding the atmosphere or lack of it.I can understand the frustration of the crowd too when you can see players not pressing home the advantage but like others I found the booing vile.

Get your heads screwed on the right way Rovers fans!

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Credit where it's due, that was a great result after last week's debacle.

AND shock horror, just as importantly for me, we were actually in danger of playing some entertaining stuff at times in the second half.

Robinson was world class. I've always maintained that in the long term trading him for Friedel would prove to be a masterstroke and we're really starting to see the benefit of that I think.

We'll really miss Roberts if he leaves in his current form - hope he and the manager can kiss and make up (Not the most appealing image admittedly!) Conversely I hope we're saved the embarrassment of ever having to watch Benjani waddle onto the pitch again, he seems to be getting fatter and fatter.

Much improved from Dunn before he went off I thought, he looked a lot fitter. I also think criticism of the United Diouf is harsh, I thought he looked lively and eager to impress.

Your spot on regarding the atmosphere or lack of it.I can understand the frustration of the crowd too when you can see players not pressing home the advantage but like others I found the booing vile.

Get your heads screwed on the right way Rovers fans!

What do you put the subdued atmosphere down to? I though it dipped in the last home game (When the club annoounced the new owners) it's almost as if there is an air of uncertainty and know one knows which way we are going to blow.

With regard to the booing, it's not the right way to do it, but how else do you get your point accross these days?

It's also worth considering the comments attributed to our new owner (Ms Desai) regarding the way they want to see us play. Today summed up Allardyce perfectly - we were efficient, scored two goals from set pieces and one from a high punt up field, then defended and hoped for a break away (without using our paciest player - Hoilett). It was the perfect example of what a good performance is to Allardyce.

If we were a little more certain of the transfer budget/ calibre of player we are hoping to attract, the atmosphere would pick up. For his faults, I am sure if Allardyce had a good budget he would bring in the quality needed to put teams to the sword.

With regard to the booing, it's not the right way to do it, but how else do you get your point accross these days?

When their point is such a flimsy one then it makes it even more pathetic.

Yes, another goal or two would have been nice but winning 3-0 with some good football should be enough to satisfy fans. When fans come on here and all they can say is "yeah okay result but ----" and go on a big anti Sam diatribe about how we play when we're 3-0 up then it says everything.

We're hardly Arsenal or Man United, we don't have a god given right to be thrashing any Premier League side at home. Our players are a bit better than Wolves' but there's really not that much difference anymore. We're currently 8th in the table and, although we'll probably drop down to 10th or so after tomorrows fixtures, chances are we'll finish 2010 in a top half slot. We've improved on last season despite almost all the sides around us spending more and us spending zero.

I can appreciate that Sam has one or two faults but really his positives far outweigh his negatives. Sadly all some posters want to do is go on about his faults and very, very occasionally grudgingly give him faint praise when he's done well.

Kalinic wasn't even expected to be fit for today, he's been injured for a few weeks, maybe just maybe that could have something to do with why he didn't get on?

I believe that to be the case. He plays well, exhausts defenses and is improving all the time. Why bring him back too early and risk a serious injury?

Well they did. Salgado got caught on the wrong side of his man a couple of times in the second half and Givet (as always) offered nothing going forward.

Givet's performance was heads and shoulders what we would've gotten from Chimbonda.

It is the same at Ewood (booing at 3-0 up), I am afraid Sam will continue to be a divisive figure until the day he goes.

Likely. But Sam is not entirely to blame for that set of circumstances.

Once again, well done Ref. What a pleasure it was to have a top quality referee in charge.

I found myself wishing he'd ref all the matches we play. He did an excellent, even keel job.

We're hardly Arsenal or Man United, we don't have a god given right to be thrashing any Premier League side at home. Our players are a bit better than Wolves' but there's really not that much difference anymore. We're currently 8th in the table and, although we'll probably drop down to 10th or so after tomorrows fixtures, chances are we'll finish 2010 in a top half slot. We've improved on last season despite almost all the sides around us spending more and us spending zero.

Would you care to expand on this statement,

I took it as some sort of weired justification for us spurning the opportunity to score more than three.

3 points ... Fantastic.

3-0 .... Fantastic.

Robbo .... Fantastic.

MGP actually delivering dangerous set pieces ... Fantastic.

The rest, we shall see what happens against Bolton as I believe they are closest matched to us in the league so maybe we can see where we are at.

The booing, I think it was booing M. Diouf for slowing down the break away but the continued booing for the rest of the play back to Robbo I was. Embarrased!

Would you care to expand on this statement,

I took it as some sort of weired justification for us spurning the opportunity to score more than three.

I'm saying that 3-0 is a very good result. I would have liked to have seen us go for more goals too but it baffles me when all people can talk about is what happened when we went 3-0 up when in fact it should be an afterthought.

• Backroom

Yes I thought the booing was wrong but not done out of nastiness more of slight frustration as it was a golden chance till Diouf decided to slow to a stop.

The frustration was probably as it was the first time we had attacked in a long while, still not acceptable though especially at 3-0 up.

I assume you are referring to the critisism of some that we didn't 'go for it' in the second half?

Firstly, I am sure everyone went home pleased with a 3-0 win.

There seemed to be alot in the Blackburn End getting frustrated. It stemmed from a breakaway around the 86th minute. We had been sitting back most of the half, despite Wolves looking very suspect at the back. It was two on two yet 40 seconds later rather than being 4-0 up the ball was back with Robinson - Most fans aren't stupid - if we were 1-0 up with 5 mins to go you can understand trying to kill the game. However, we weren't - We were 3-0 up against relegation fodder. We were never going to lose from that position.

Can you imagine any of the to 6 clubs not trying to hammer the opposition? We know from playing the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal in the past that they can easilly put 3 past you in the last 6 - 7 mins. It is a statement of intent.

There is a strange atmosphere (or complete lack of atmosphere) around Ewood, especially the BBE at the moment. This may be linked to some of the singers going to the Darwen End or a general apathy towards the manager/team. Nobody was surprised we sat back at 3-0. Nobody was surprised we went backwards when 2 on 2. You just keep hoping we will see a change in mentality - but it never comes.

The shadow of Big Sam looms large over Ewood. We are an efficient team, we will be safe. nothing more. Why did I leave still Ewood feeling a little flat despite our best win of the season? I never did under Hughes, Souness, Hodgson, Harford, Dalglish, Mackay, Bobby Saxton, Howard Kendall...

That's a great post buddy. Well said.

Paul Robinson surely was the man of the match, Jason Roberts is by far the best forward at Rovers by along shot, Dunny just not fit enough, and young Phil Jones offered nothing for the team for the second week on the run, but hey, we won, absolutely GREAT !

Sorry, but "we will be safe, nothing more" is a regular mantra charted by the anti Sam brigade, but last season we did a hell of a lot more than just "being safe", we finished 20 points away from the drop zone and 20 points away from 4th place. This season again, we look like doing a considerable amount more than just being safe. Another top half finish looks very likely.

What more do people want? A European slot would be lovely but when you look at the Sky 4, City and Spurs that already takes up the top 6 positions.

Yes I thought the booing was wrong but not done out of nastiness more of slight frustration as it was a golden chance till Diouf decided to slow to a stop.

The frustration was probably as it was the first time we had attacked in a long while, still not acceptable though especially at 3-0 up.

From what I remembered from the game that was pretty much the case, it looked like M.Diouf had the opportunity to continue the attack instead he slowed the game down and the opportunity was missed. That doesn't mean I condone the booing though as I personally think that sort of action is pretty pathetic.

On the game it was a great result and performance was certainly a big improvement on the last game. I think it would be fair to say we were the better side overall but Wolves did have their moments as well. First half we looked pretty shaky but managed to weather the little storm, the same could be said for periods in the second half when we managed to hold them back with some resolute defending and some superb saves from the impressive Robinson (who was my Man of the match by a mile). If we were facing a side with more creativity and guile it would have worried me a lot more with the amount of possession at times Wolves had in our half (especially in the second half).

On the Kalinic substitution if he was unfit to play then fair enough, though he was on the subs bench so you would have assumed he could play a part if needed. With the side 3-0 up and Pedersen managing to recapture some of the crossing ability which has alluded him for the past couple of years I thought it could have been the perfect opportunity to get him on the pitch, try and get him a goal and give the lad a much needed confidence boost. Benjani came on and didn't offer much from what I saw.

Three points closer to safety and it shows how tight this league will be this year, one win has propelled us into 8th place and yet we are only six points off being in a relegation spot.

We're hardly Arsenal or Man United, we don't have a god given right to be thrashing any Premier League side at home. Our players are a bit better than Wolves' but there's really not that much difference anymore.

No we don't but if you don't have a go we never will. Newcastle have put 6 past Villa and 5 past Sunderland. They are no better than us.

Paul Robinson surely was the man of the match, Jason Roberts is by far the best forward at Rovers by along shot, Dunny just not fit enough, and young Phil Jones offered nothing for the team for the second week on the run, but hey, we won, absolutely GREAT !

The official Premier League fantasy football panel gave Jones 3 bonus points this week. This means that they thought he was the best player on the pitch.

I have to disagree with that bit about Jones completely, I think Jones has been excellent in the last two home games against Wolves and Villa.

As for last week, who did perform that day? So unfair to single out Jones.

No we don't but if you don't have a go we never will. Newcastle have put 6 past Villa and 5 past Sunderland. They are no better than us.

They're much better going forward than we are, we don't have a goalscorer like Bent, Gyan or Carroll on our books.

Like I said I would have liked to see us go for more than 3 and granted I was a little disappointed we didn't, but when it's the main talking point for some people after the game it says everything.

Who knows what would be achievable if we didn't roll over against the top clubs

It's a fair point to make - if you take your eye off the ball slightly against the established "big four" then maybe against Spurs and Citeh as well because "hey we can't compete with them can we?" all of a sudden you're trying to get your 40-50 points from 26 games instead of 38.

Thought Samba was incredibly poor today with Doyle giving him a torrid time, whereas the much maligned Nelsen was magnificent.

The New Zealander often gets a bad press on here (apart from RIML of course) and is often proclaimed as 'finished' but today he was anything but.

Sorry, but "we will be safe, nothing more" is a regular mantra charted by the anti Sam brigade, but last season we did a hell of a lot more than just "being safe", we finished 20 points away from the drop zone and 20 points away from 4th place. This season again, we look like doing a considerable amount more than just being safe. Another top half finish looks very likely.

What more do people want? A European slot would be lovely but when you look at the Sky 4, City and Spurs that already takes up the top 6 positions.

Save your breath tgm. Both at Ewood and on here there is a sizeable number of fans that will NEVER take to Allardyce.

You can talk finances, records, last season, post Ince clean up, whatever you want, but it won't make a blind bit of difference. They hate his tactics, they hate his approach and they hate his demenaour. Sam won't change and their views won't.

The official Premier League fantasy football panel gave Jones 3 bonus points this week. This means that they thought he was the best player on the pitch.

Being a young promising English boy probably gets him a few more points than he really merits.

Thought Samba was incredibly poor today with Doyle giving him a torrid time, whereas the much maligned Nelsen was magnificent.

The New Zealander often gets a bad press on here (apart from RIML of course) and is often proclaimed as 'finished' but today he was anything but.

Told today that Samba collapsed mid week in training due to being unwell. Think Samba wasnt 100% fully fit today and when you look at it like this he's performed very well given the circumstances.

Not going to get into a pro Sam/anti Sam debate.

You are either accept Sam's approach to games and feel it is right for our club at present or

you accept Sam's approach but just wish he'd go for it more often because that's what our club have normally done.

Archived