BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves Preview 04/11/10

OhmiBRFC

Seemed to be enough people booing to be heard fairly clearly at the lack of ambition toward the end,

Incredible but true. At first I thought I must have missed seeing an incident somewhere.

Very sad reaction against a possible relegation rival and with 3 points and a top half position in the bag. When you have your opponent on the floor with your foot on the back of his neck it's crass stupidity to allow him to get back to his feet. A goal back for Wolves with 20 mins to go could have made a massive difference to that match. I can only surmise that the amoeba brained ones who booed have forgotten the Man City result from a few years back. With so little dependence on ticket sales I wonder if they can be persuaded to stay away from Ewood? Surely thick as they are they must know that Allardyce will not change his philosphy or his methods and that there really is no better option for manager. It was hardly his fault that the clearly offside Jason Roberts elbowed the even more clearly onside M Diouff aside when he was clean through. It was hardly the fault of the manager either when the players contrived to botch up the 4 on 3 chance too? If they had gone in it would have been 5 and the saddest thing is that the lemmings would still have booed in full pursuit of their churlish, illogical and suicidal agenda.

My only gripe from yesterday is that we showed again that we cannot retain possession when we are in front. Just 3 weeks ago Chelsea showed us how it's done, they went 1-2 up and we never got another sniff of the ball whilst they had not the slightest interest in going for a third. (Odd how the Chelsea fans didn't boo their team.) Tugay would have made us so much more comfortable in the last 15 by denying Wolves possession, but unfortunately his time has passed.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredible but true. At first I thought I must have missed seeing an incident somewhere.

Very sad reaction against a possible relegation rival and with 3 points and a top half position in the bag. When you have your opponent on the floor with your foot on the back of his neck it's crass stupidity to allow him to get back to his feet. A goal back for Wolves with 20 mins to go could have made a massive difference to that match. I can only surmise that the amoeba brained ones who booed have forgotten the Man City result from a few years back. With so little dependence on ticket sales I wonder if they can be persuaded to stay away from Ewood? Surely thick as they are they must know that Allardyce will not change his philosphy or his methods and that there really is no better option for manager. It was hardly his fault that the clearly offside Jason Roberts elbowed the even more clearly onside M Diouff aside when he was clean through. It was hardly the fault of the manager either when the players contrived to botch up the 4 on 3 chance too? If they had gone in it would have been 5 and the saddest thing is that the lemmings would still have booed in full pursuit of their churlish, illogical and suicidal agenda.

My only gripe from yesterday is that we showed again that we cannot retain possession when we are in front. Just 3 weeks ago Chelsea showed us how it's done, they went 1-2 up and we never got another sniff of the ball whilst they had not the slightest interest in going for a third. (Odd how the Chelsea fans didn't boo their team.) Tugay would have made us so much more comfortable in the last 15 by denying Wolves possession, but unfortunately his time has passed.

Actually we did let our opponent get back up by going to 5 at the back and gifting them possession. If we were to 'put our foot on their throat' we'd have gone for a 4th when we had them on the ropes.

Yep, the expert decided we'd had enough entertainment for the day.

Wolves were ready to cumble once we had gone three up, instead of trying to make up our goal difference we sat back and let Wolves confidence grow. In the end we could have conceeded a few late goals

Aha! So it wasn't Roberts at all.... it was Allardyce who blacked himself up and sneaked onto the pitch to elbow a clean through Doiuff aside was it? And although I didn't see him he must have been getting in someones way when an assortment of players contrived to miss a 4 on 3 'gimme' situation? Well done Aggy, and thanks for exposing Allardyce and clearing all that up for us. As for your sarcastic and sneering use of the term 'expert', if you want to apply it with the most accuracy just stand in front of a mirror.

Just as an aside can't you find something else to do with your time every other Saturday? You know something that you might really have some knowledge and understanding of.

Actually we did let our opponent get back up by going to 5 at the back and gifting them possession. If we were to 'put our foot on their throat' we'd have gone for a 4th when we had them on the ropes.

We did! Weren't you watching or have you coneveniently forgotten to suit your agenda?

We didn't go for a 4th at all.

We brought on Morris, shifted Givet into the centre (giving us five at the back) and then hoofed it up to Diouf and Roberts (and later Benjani). We didn't even try to play it through them, we were content with our 3-0 advantage.

And what agenda is that then?

exactly exile,when the booes rained down it was because the manager bollocked them for attacking and they were forced to go back to robbo from the edge of their pen area!

another one in the first half was when robbo had the ball,dunn was screaming for the ball at the riverside and robbo pointed to the stand -(where zzzam sits and indicated he had to boot it up) and in the 2nd half robbo rolled it out and the man screamed and signalled to him to launch it high.

no agenda its what happened!

We didn't go for a 4th at all.

We brought on Morris, shifted Givet into the centre (giving us five at the back) and then hoofed it up to Diouf and Roberts (and later Benjani). We didn't even try to play it through them, we were content with our 3-0 advantage.

And what agenda is that then?

How many chances for a 4th did we miss?

Sam was obviously in burn down the clock mode and gave Morris instructions accordingly. And from what I saw, Morris moved and passed well, found good positions and space, did not give up the ball and, in general, played his assigned role well in the time he was on the pitch. All said, he should be pleased with himself. Two games straight with the Rovers and he played above expectations, IMO. I believe he will be a versatile and valuable player for the Rovers as the season rolls on.

So I'd say we have a difference of opinion.

Obviously Allardyce thinks he has something about him to bring him on, but he didn't do anything yesterday. He didn't look completely out of his depth, but again that's because he wasn't actually asked to do anything. I'll withhold my judgement until I see him get involved with play.

I think the booing from the Rovers fans happened when we broke 3 against 2 in the last ten minutes and Mama Diouf faced with a clear run dropped his pace to a slow saunter losing the chance. It was very frustrating but the howls from the crowd seemed to inspire the team to a 30+ pass move.

Dunno about 30+ but it was the first time (this season even!) we tried to retain possession from on our toes rather than on our heels. Pass and move only works when skills both are utilised. It's difficult psychology to instill the doctrine to work even harder when you are in front. Liverpool under Shanks and Paisley and Leeds under Revie were the 'pass' masters and have never been bettered imo.

Dunno about 30+ but it was the first time (this season even!) we tried to retain possession from on our toes rather than on our heels. Pass and move only works when skills both are utilised. It's difficult psychology to instill the doctrine to work even harder when you are in front. Liverpool under Shanks and Paisley and Leeds under Revie were the 'pass' masters and have never been bettered imo.

Surely trying to keep possession is preferable to launching it straight back to the opposition? You do a disservice to our players, anyway. Players like Dunn, Emerton, the Dioufs, Salgado, Jones etc, should have enough to play keep-ball against a poor Wolves team.

The most frustrating aspect is that even when we do 'close up shop' it doesn't work. We have Robbo to thank for keeping the clean-sheet, not any great defensive masterclass. I think that's why people are frustrated that we didn't put Wolves to the sword, because we've seen time and time again that Rovers suck at sitting back.

I assume you are referring to the critisism of some that we didn't 'go for it' in the second half?

Firstly, I am sure everyone went home pleased with a 3-0 win.

There seemed to be alot in the Blackburn End getting frustrated. It stemmed from a breakaway around the 86th minute. We had been sitting back most of the half, despite Wolves looking very suspect at the back. It was two on two yet 40 seconds later rather than being 4-0 up the ball was back with Robinson - Most fans aren't stupid - if we were 1-0 up with 5 mins to go you can understand trying to kill the game. However, we weren't - We were 3-0 up against relegation fodder. We were never going to lose from that position.

Can you imagine any of the to 6 clubs not trying to hammer the opposition? We know from playing the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal in the past that they can easilly put 3 past you in the last 6 - 7 mins. It is a statement of intent.

There is a strange atmosphere (or complete lack of atmosphere) around Ewood, especially the BBE at the moment. This may be linked to some of the singers going to the Darwen End or a general apathy towards the manager/team. Nobody was surprised we sat back at 3-0. Nobody was surprised we went backwards when 2 on 2. You just keep hoping we will see a change in mentality - but it never comes.

The shadow of Big Sam looms large over Ewood. We are an efficient team, we will be safe. nothing more. Why did I leave still Ewood feeling a little flat despite our best win of the season? I never did under Hughes, Souness, Hodgson, Harford, Dalglish, Mackay, Bobby Saxton, Howard Kendall...

All part of the ageing process. Also we've hit the heights and never will again in the forseeable future. BRFC's current situation is all anti climax for so many, it's a strange phenomenon but the success of the 90's has become a ball and chain legacy of Jack Walkers reign.

It was a shocking atmosphere Abs, so bad you could hear all of Robinson's shouts from goal!

Think the cold and general dank conditions didn't help, however there is an all round hostile and edgy mood in the ground (well certainly the BBEnd). As II said earlier I can't see an upturn to the day Allardyce leaves and that is speakng as a supporter of his management.

Very pleased with today's result, hopefully it can be the catalyst for a great December.

I also reserve special praise for Howard Webb today, he was utterly outstanding. I'd go so far as to say that it was one of the finest refereeing performances I have seen at Ewood, or anywhere, in a long, long time. As far as i'm concerned he was faultless and judged the character of the game perfectly. It's a huge relief to see a referee unafraid of telling players to get up and get on with it too!

Once again, well done Ref. What a pleasure it was to have a top quality referee in charge.

Spot on. He's been my favourite choice of Ref for 4 or 5 seasons now. He deserved the WCF and was unfortunate to get two such bad tempered and cynical teams.

I heard somewhere that this is the third time this season that we have bounced back after a defeat to win the following match- that is HUGE credit to the manager and his staff to be able to lift and motivate the players. We also have a run of winnable games coming up and should be in comfortable in mid table before the window opens.

This is no mean feet, the skill and preciseness required to do this should not go without credit.

What was most pleasing about yesterday was that we created chances, something we have struggled with so far this season. I saw a stat that showed we have the lowest number of shots on target in the league, yesterday was a nice change.

Well done on the right response, Rovers.

PS, Robbo best decision of your life was retiring from England enjoy the freedom.

Paul Robinson surely was the man of the match, Jason Roberts is by far the best forward at Rovers by along shot, Dunny just not fit enough, and young Phil Jones offered nothing for the team for the second week on the run, but hey, we won, absolutely GREAT !

He'd be a lot better if his 6ft+ height didn't turn into 4'6" when he jumps down to head a ball. Small wonder SA's frustrated with him, a Prem centre forward really should be competent in the air. He's a handfull sure enough but rem he screwed up the Chelsea match for us and was lucky to score with a 'shinner' against Wigan. He's the nearest to Shefki Kuqi that we've had since. Couldn't trap a wet sandbag but a formidable physical presence that unsettles defenders.

btw imo Phil JOnes had a very good game.

What was most pleasing about yesterday was that we created chances, something we have struggled with so far this season.

To be fair, that's not true recently.

Prior to the Man Utd disaster we had scored two goals in each of our previous four games. We even managed a goal in that disastrous game last week.

With the three goals yesterday we're still averaging two goals a game over the last six games. Long may it continue!

It's a fair point to make - if you take your eye off the ball slightly against the established "big four" then maybe against Spurs and Citeh as well because "hey we can't compete with them can we?" all of a sudden you're trying to get your 40-50 points from 26 games instead of 38.

Beating the teams around us is the key Simon. That way we'll not be top of the Prem but we'll be close to the top of OUR division.

These boards are like war at the minute it seems nobody is allowed an opinion without being jumped on, you're either a Sam lover or a Sam hater it seems.

In all honesty, I don't think there are many Sam lovers. I think they are more people who accept that Sam was the right man, at the right time. There are plenty who hated Sam before he stepped into the job and will never accept anything he does.

All part of the ageing process. Also we've hit the heights and never will again in the forseeable future. BRFC's current situation is all anti climax for so many, it's a strange phenomenon but the success of the 90's has become a ball and chain legacy of Jack Walkers reign.

Perhaps.. still remember some great performances in the early/mid 80's. May be brain addled now but I remember Rovers thumping a few teams. Always used to think if we were 3 up around half time, we would end up with 5 or 6. Just don't have that feeling anymore.

Thought Samba was incredibly poor today with Doyle giving him a torrid time, whereas the much maligned Nelsen was magnificent.

The New Zealander often gets a bad press on here (apart from RIML of course) and is often proclaimed as 'finished' but today he was anything but.

Not everyone agrees with the Ewood 'Faithful'..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Nelsen

"Nelsen was named in a football "World Cup Best XI" by American sports channel, ESPN on 10 July, 2010"

To be fair, that's not true recently.

Prior to the Man Utd disaster we had scored two goals in each of our previous four games. We even managed a goal in that disastrous game last week.

With the three goals yesterday we're still averaging two goals a game over the last six games. Long may it continue!

Across the course of the season so far it is though, which is the point I was reiterating.

Teams stats opta

We have had 126 shots, which is second bottom above Birmingham.

Shots on target we sit bottom on 50. Yesterday we netted 3 and its been about 9 months since we last did that, but we could easily have gotten more. Jones suffering altitude sickness, Diouf MKII, Pedersen all had good clean chances to make it 4. There's definitly been a distinct lack of those with our play recently so to see what we did yesterday brings good hope for the festive season.

Archived