BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jermaine Jones

According to several reports Jones is at Rovers as we speak and will be signing at some point. So what do we know about the USA/German midfielder apart from his homophobic comments? I mentioned in the transfer thread that he looked awesome when I saw him live a few years back but can anyone else add any info on his footballing ability.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen him play a number of times for Schalke over the past couple of years and have been impressed with his passing, ability to get around the field, his tackling and competitiveness. He would certainly add some quality to our midfield. A good solid signing if this goes through.

Goal.com rates him as a highly disciplined, tough tackler. Hobbies include collecting cards (primarily yellow with some red) and holidays in Miami.

I reckon Football Manager is a bit more reliable (though obviously not to be taken as gospel). I haven't seen him, and not many of us have, but I suppose quoting FM is no less reliable than saying "My mate who has seen him reckons..."

Interesting stats on FM...(all stats are out of 20)

Pace 17, acceleration 19, tackling 17...Stamina, work rate, determination and bravery all 20, strength 17. Those stats are all excellent...

Passing 9, dribbling 8, finishing 9, heading 8, technique 8...all very poor in the game's terms for a player at this level.

We won't know how accurate that all is until we see him in blue and white, but it points to a fast, hard-working, hard-tackling defensive mid with very limited technical skills, that might not move the ball around that well. Royrover's post suggests the passing stat is off though.

I reckon Football Manager is a bit more reliable (though obviously not to be taken as gospel). I haven't seen him, and not many of us have, but I suppose quoting FM is no less reliable than saying "My mate who has seen him reckons..."

Interesting stats on FM...(all stats are out of 20)

Pace 17, acceleration 19, tackling 17...Stamina, work rate, determination and bravery all 20, strength 17. Those stats are all excellent...

Passing 9, dribbling 8, finishing 9, heading 8, technique 8...all very poor in the game's terms for a player at this level.

We won't know how accurate that all is until we see him in blue and white, but it points to a fast, hard-working, hard-tackling defensive mid with very limited technical skills, that might not move the ball around that well. Royrover's post suggests the passing stat is off though.

Anyone who rates a player based on a computer games stats is a little bit naive really!! :brfcsmilie:

http://hubpages.com/...-Germany-to-USA

Little bit in the arcticle explaining what he's all about...

"Jermaine Jones is a central midfielder characterized as a fast, aggressive, strong tackler, box to box, great range, able passer, and high energy. According to Kicker magazine, he was ranked the fourth best midfielder in the Bundesliga behing, Franck Ribery, Mesut Ozil, and Eduardo. Besides being underappreciated by the German National team and playing on a top Bundesliga team, he recently experienced European club competition with the Champions and UEFA League."

Sounds promising :D

Anyone who rates a player based on a computer games stats is a little bit naive really!! :brfcsmilie:

For goodness sake, pay some bloody attention. I was quite clear I wasn't "rating him off the computer game", just giving some food for thought. They do their homework pretty extensively on that game, and I'm essentially presenting their opinion, without saying "Hey guys, this is exactly how he definitely is!". Sheesh.

As an aside, you're not jumping on Steve Moss for pointing out what goal.com thinks of him (Even less reliable IMO). Not that you should be.

Sadly enough, I think quite a lot of fans on this board base a lot of their judgement on players by Football Manager. Thats not a dig at you by the way Bluebruce.

watch the pass for first goal

Saw him play at Dortmund for Schalke and he was everywhere. Covered every blade of grass, TWICE! If we get him it will be a major signing.

Hoofball!

Joking aside that is one of the best passes I have seen in quite some time.

You got to ask questions about the lack of recognition, fitness and the disciplinary record but this seems to be one heck of a player.

Hoofball!

Joking aside that is one of the best passes I have seen in quite some time.

You got to ask questions about the lack of recognition, fitness and the disciplinary record but this seems to be one heck of a player.

Surprised Sam never signed him up.

Typical Big Sam signing is what that sentence reminds me of. Shrewd stuff, hopefully this is a loan with an agreed fee for June if he impresses. Seems to have all the attributes to be able to hack it in the PL, and hopefully his injuries are a thing of the past.

I'll tell you what, if we do manage to pull off. the signings of Jones and Adam this transfer window, and Hoilett and Olsson continue to play at the standard they have been doing the last few games. We then go from having what was once one of the poorest midfields of the league, to one of the strongest outside the top 5

If these transfers are pulled off (and its seems to be a big if at the moment concerning Adam), we surely have to take our hats off to Kean, and others involved in the transfer dealings of the club.

Got dropped for poor attitude on the pitch.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/raphael_honigstein/12/01/schalke.magath.wrath/index.html

Unfortunately, though, feeling a tad warmer than his colleagues will have been little consolation, as Jones has been frozen out in a different way. On Magath's orders, the 29-year-old has been banished to train with Schalke' U23-side, the B-team. Ghana international Hans Sarpei and midfielder Alexander Baumjohann were also punished in that fashion. All three of them, local media assume, won't be pardoned before the end of the winter break in January.

"In theory, other players might have been picked, too," Magath conceded. "These three were chosen because I wasn't 100 percent happy with their attitude in training, or in Jones' case, with his attitude in matches. He needs to run and fight -- that's what's lacking."

Archived