BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2011-2012 Kits (All Clubs)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest my knowledge of the major sports leagues in America isn't that great so I can't comment too much, however I do know that you can only really make limited comparisons between the two.

People on this board have asked this question at fans forums and have got that reply, and that's from people who have knowledge of the industry.

Well it's BS Tone. It's industry idiots trying to create more work for themselves.(I've worked in that industry. ;) ) Using the colors blue & white with the same design for our home kits year after year seems to work out alright, you follow? Bottom line: Supporters will always buy new club branded items so they can parade around in the latest and make it appear as if they have money. There's no need to change the colors. Besides, I've no problem with changing the design of the away kit every year(halves, hoops, quarters, stripes, etc...), just as long as they use red and black.

Well it's BS Tone. It's industry idiots trying to create more work for themselves.(I've worked in that industry. ;) ) Using the colors blue & white with the same design for our home kits year after year seems to work out alright, you follow? Bottom line: Supporters will always buy new club branded items so they can parade around in the latest and make it appear as if they have money. There's no need to change the colors. Besides, I've no problem with changing the design of the away kit every year(halves, hoops, quarters, stripes, etc...), just as long as they use red and black.

But there's a fundamental difference between marketing our home shirts and our away shirts.

The blue and white kit is what Rovers play in 80% of the time. It's the Rovers colours, especially for a club like Rovers it's distinctive to the club. Supporters will always buy the latest variations of that. It goes without saying that home shirts will always outsell the away shirt by a fair old margin.

The away shirt however needs a hook to make people buy it and so the season to season variations are one of the main selling points for it. Like you said, people like to parade around in the latest and for a lot of people that's their motivation for buying the away kit since it changes the most between seasons. When I was a kid my best friend used to have his parents buy the away kit every season probably for these exact reasons.

I know we could vary the design but to be honest red and black quarters would be really unappealing and I'm not crazy about red and black hoops either. It's not even like red and black is that tied in with our history - sure our title winning away kit was red and black, but when we came up through the play offs we had a yellow kit which wasn't a bad effort.

But there's a fundamental difference between marketing our home shirts and our away shirts.

The blue and white kit is what Rovers play in 80% of the time. It's the Rovers colours, especially for a club like Rovers it's distinctive to the club. Supporters will always buy the latest variations of that. It goes without saying that home shirts will always outsell the away shirt by a fair old margin.

The away shirt however needs a hook to make people buy it and so the season to season variations are one of the main selling points for it. Like you said, people like to parade around in the latest and for a lot of people that's their motivation for buying the away kit since it changes the most between seasons. When I was a kid my best friend used to have his parents buy the away kit every season probably for these exact reasons.

I know we could vary the design but to be honest red and black quarters would be really unappealing and I'm not crazy about red and black hoops either. It's not even like red and black is that tied in with our history - sure our title winning away kit was red and black, but when we came up through the play offs we had a yellow kit which wasn't a bad effort.

I think a bit of scientific research (and not just the silly polls we have here) would bare out my belief that given the choice, most Rovers supporters would prefer the away kits to be some form of red & black year after year as opposed to going with navy blue or yellow every so often. Red & black has served as our primary or secondary(and the more popular of the two in those cases) away kit color scheme in more than half of the years since the Premier League started.

As for which designs would work? Well, I was just pulling out examples as opposed to suggesting them as good ideas. Hell, if it was up to me, we'd be red & black halves every year.

If you are an eight year girl, metrosexual, or pig farmer.

I agree with orange though.

So we have room for agreement. Orange it is, then. They should have us negotiate world peace, next. :P

By the way, I get the first 2, but why pig farmer?

And you need to add to your pro-pink list "Incredibly fearless, attractive and manly fathers of eight year old girls." :rover:

Why don't we go for red and yellow halves, maybe like gala's kit, I'm on my phone but I'm sure somebody could post a picture of the gala kit.

Red + yellow = orange. Deal!

So we have room for agreement. Orange it is, then. They should have us negotiate world peace, next. :P

By the way, I get the first 2, but why pig farmer?

And you need to add to your pro-pink list "Incredibly fearless, attractive and manly fathers of eight year old girls." :rover:

Pig farmers are well known to enjoy decorating with pink.

Trump likes pink too.

Just taking it back abit, that is a really really nice design.

Agreed, I like this design a lot. Nothing wrong with the current home shirt in my opinion but the away shirt always allows the opportunity for something slightly different, whether that be buttons around the collar, different colours or even like in this case a variation on the logo.

If the shirt will be yellow it is destined to look ugly.

Oh and here is the current kit with three potential new sponsors

http://www.football-shirts.co.uk/fans/new-sponsor-for-blackburn-rovers_10015

• 2 weeks later...

Archived