BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2010/11 Match Report: West Ham v Rovers

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont really know how to feel after watching that, a lot of people around me were critising the closing down for their goal but he hit it first time and hit it sweet, subs did'nt really help but looking at the quality on the bench before the game I feared we would'nt be able to muster anything had we gone a goal down.

I would have taken a point before the game and it will certainly do now but one thing is for sure we must be the worst team in the league at conceding possession, we cant hold onto the ball for love nor money, its horrible to watch our midfield just give the ball back constantly to the other team.

To be balanced you have to say that Kean deserves credit for a really excellent first half where we were quicker to the ball, well set up, fluid and intelligent in passing.

Also Nzonzi in particular looks a much better player recently which seems partly to do with coaching as his approach to the game is changing with him driving forward.

By the same note you also have to criticise the substitutions which invited a huge amount of pressure on us - particularly Cruz whose, as someone said, complete lack of interest in closing down or running the channels totally blunted us. He also didn;t manage to hold onto the ball which is his primary job.

A point is a great result at West Ham, but it is hard to swallow after looking very comfortable at 60 mins in. Its funny, I keep on warming to Kean as he shows imaginative tactics and pushes our youth talent, but then he does something mental - like todays subs - which makes you want him out again.

If he could iron out the kinks I think the signs are there he could make a decent manager. However an established name would make more sense if we have money to spend, or an experienced head if we don't and are looking to survive. Either way it Kean seems a round peg who has failed to establish his credentials in his time with us.

Why of why would you bring on RSC though, you need someone to get at the tired defence (Roberts/Rochina/Kalinic) not someone who ponces about up the top.

Because he's a target man who can hold-up the ball? Kinda crucial when we were letting West Ham back into the game.

Because he's a target man who can hold-up the ball? Kinda crucial when we were letting West Ham back into the game.

[/quot

Target men have to move to get the ball though.....

Also, he was never much of a target man in his first spell. Liked to play off the shoulder of the last defender and also played much better alongside a target man like Roberts than he ever did with McCarthy (a far better player all round IMO)

Santa Cruz used to have pace. Now he doesn't, and it's amazing how many 'class' players get found out when they lose this attribute.

Then the subs hapenned, we lost out in midfield, Santa Cruz couldn't be arsed and the ball kept going back to West Ham. They equalised and then we sat deeper and deeper, almost losing.

Again we're find something to beat the manager with, and its not needed.

Terrific point and almost safe now.

i agree that we are almost there.

But, it is very much needed, as he is showing himself to be not tactically astute at all. Something he would need to be in August when we start with zero points.

It wasn't needed with Allardyce either, you can't really complain.

A good point today that should almost certainly see us safe. Not a good performance at all though and further highlights why we need a proper manager when this mess of a season is done with.

Target men have to move to get the ball though.....

Also, he was never much of a target man in his first spell. Liked to play off the shoulder of the last defender and also played much better alongside a target man like Roberts than he ever did with McCarthy (a far better player all round IMO)

Santa Cruz used to have pace. Now he doesn't, and it's amazing how many 'class' players get found out when they lose this attribute.

He got played through at one point and the entire pub was on their feet thinking he was in. I remained in my seat 'cos I know that his legs have gone - he ended up letting it run across him and finally trapping it over on the right touchline somewhere.

Guest roverite1991

Worst case scenario, we need another win and a similar GD. I reckon we should (SHOULD) be okay now.

Not a good performance at all though and further highlights why we need a proper manager when this mess of a season is done with.

Rafas coming in LeChuck :tu:

Not sure about the a terrific point GAV. We were really hanging on at the end and Samba saved us several times BUTthe point keeps us up this season. Got to be happy about that. :brfcsmilie::rover::brfcsmilie:

First half okey. Second very poor. One point closer to renewed PL contract. Hopefully Phil Jones are back against United next week. Looks like we need him in the starting eleven. No balance in our team now.

Guest roverite1991

Not sure about the a terrific point GAV. We were really hanging on at the end and Samba saved us several times BUTthe point keeps us up this season. Got to be happy about that. :brfcsmilie::rover::brfcsmilie:

It does NOT keep us up just yet. We're damned close and I'm damned happy, but it's still very easy for us to finish 19th. Remember that KEAN is our manager.

First half okey. Second very poor. One point closer to renewed PL contract. Hopefully Phil Jones are back against United next week. Looks like we need him in the starting eleven. No balance in our team now.

I think we will get thumped against UTD anyone who is not 100% should be rested for the Wolves game.

Almost managed to grab defeat from the jaws of victory with a terrible 2nd half performance. I couldn't believe how bad both teams were but we got steadily worse while they improved a bit and in the end we were lucky to get a point. Keane needs shooting for that miss...thank God.

Still, should be OK now I would think.

Archived