BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2010/11 Match Report: West Ham v Rovers

Published: Sunday, 8 May 2011

2010/11 Match Report: West Ham v Rovers

by Parsonblue

See here for the full match report.

A tantalising twelve minutes was all that stood between the Rovers and their first win at the Boleyn Ground since April 1994. More frustratingly, for the Rovers, Thomas Hitzlsperger's 78th-minute strike, combined with results elsewhere, meant that the relegation battle continues for a least another week and, in all probability, may not be settled until the final-day showdown at Molineux.

On a fairly humid afternoon in London's East End, the tension was almost palpable as the crowds made their way to the Boleyn Ground. Many West Ham fans seemed resigned to relegation while travelling fans from Blackburn seemed in boisterous mood as the teams took to the field.

News that both Michel Salgado and Phil Jones were missing meant that Steve Kean had to shuffle the pack with Brett Emerton replacing Salgado and Gael Givet moving into the centre of defence. Martin Olsson moved from the left wing to left-back with Morten Gamst Pedersen being drafted in to fill the vacancy on the left side of midfield. The home side suffered a major setback with news that Scott Parker, the Footballer of the Year and the Hammers' talisman, was still ruled out by injury. Avram Grant made three changes to the side that lost at Manchester City the previous week with Wayne Bridge, Manuel da Costa and Carlton Cole coming into the side at the expense of James Tompkins, Matthew Upson and Robbie Keane.

Following the pre-match huddle that had been in evidence at Ewood Park the previous week, the Rovers found themselves coming under expected early pressure. There was an early scare, on five minutes, when a corner from Hitzlsperger found the head of da Costa and Pedersen was called upon to head the ball off the line.

However, after twelve minutes, it was the travelling fans who had cause for celebration following a well-worked move. Jermaine Jones broke from the centre of midfield and despite Hitzlsperger's attempts to bring him down he was able to make progress before an inch-perfect pass found Emerton, who had broken down the right wing. The Australian found space in behind Bridge and, from his pinpoint cross, Jason Roberts was on hand to prod the ball home from close range. A word of praise must go to referee Peter Walton, who allowed Jones to go on when he could easily have blown for a foul. Indeed, he attempted to allow the play to flow all afternoon and for the second week running we were fortunate to witness a decent display of refereeing.

The pattern for the remainder of the game was now set. West Ham looked to get forward at every opportunity while the Rovers simply dug in and looked to hit them on the break. In truth, despite their pressure, the home side created little in the way of clear-cut chances. The Rovers defended superbly with Pedersen and Mame Biram Diouf working tirelessly to try to prevent West Ham from building attacks from the back. Steven Nzonzi and Jermaine Jones both sat deep at times to deny the home side space in which to work but both looked to get forward whenever the opportunity arose to support Roberts and Junior Hoilett.

As the first half drew to a close, West Ham continued to have plenty of possession but failed to make any headway against the resolute defending of Chris Samba and Gael Givet. Both Emerton and Olsson provided steady support at full-back with the result that Paul Robinson had little to do in the first half but collect a cross or two. Indeed, it wasn't until the stroke of half-time that Robinson was called upon to make a save following a low shot from Freddie Sears.

Although this had been earmarked as a must-win game for West Ham, it was the Rovers who had looked the more controlled team throughout the first forty-five minutes. As the teams left the field at the end of the first half, the home fans seemed strangely silent, almost as if they had accepted their fate.

West Ham began the second half in a more determined mood and their play suddenly seemed a little more purposeful than that of the first period. With a win so vital to the survival hopes of the Hammers, it came as no surprise when Grant thrust Keane into the fray, with the half just ten minutes old, in place of Luis Boa Morte.

Although the home side seemed to have stepped up a gear following the interval, the Rovers continued to cause them problems on the break. Following a Pedersen corner, Rob Green was called into the action to make a save from a Samba header. An effort from Nzonzi was well saved by Green before Hoilett fired wide after cutting in from the left.

With less than half-an-hour remaining, Grant made a final throw of the dice with a double substitution which resulted in him having four strikers on the pitch. Jack Collison replaced Sears while former Rover Lars Jacobsen was withdrawn to allow Frederic Piquionne to add more firepower to the Hammers' misfiring attack.

Kean quickly responded with a double substitution of his own. Roberts, who was struggling to retain possession, was replaced by Roque Santa Cruz while Hoilett, who had begun to look very tired, was replaced by Keith Andrews as Kean attempted to stop the Rovers from being overrun in midfield.

Although West Ham continued to have the major share of the play, the introduction of Santa Cruz meant the Rovers were able to retain possession when they got the ball forward. The Manchester City loanee seemed much fitter than in recent weeks and was able to hold the ball up far better than Roberts had done, thus giving the Rovers' defence the opportunity to have a breather. The much-maligned Andrews also helped to shore up a midfield that seemed in danger of being overpowered as West Ham went for broke.

In many ways the substitutions worked in favour of the Rovers. The home side seemed to lose a little bit of momentum following the changes while the Rovers continued to dig in and frustrate the home side by denying them space in which to work.

It was, therefore, disappointing that West Ham should equalise on one of the rare occasions that the Rovers failed to close down the opposition with sufficient speed. A cross from Piquionne clipped a defender and found its way to Cole who laid the ball back to Hitzlsperger. With just twelve minutes remaining, the German midfielder rifled his low shot through a crowd of players and into the back of the net.

The goal transformed the Boleyn Ground as the home supporters finally found their voice and began to roar their side on for the win that they so desperately needed. However, the Rovers stood firm despite the hostile atmosphere and increased pressure from the home side. With just minutes remaining, it appeared as though the Rovers had weathered the storm when Piquionne got into a great position and rolled the ball across the six-yard box for Keane. With the goal at his mercy the normally deadly striker completely fluffed his shot and sent the ball wide. It was a major escape for the Rovers and a miss that could well see the end of West Ham's tenure in the Premier League.

Deep into injury time Kean introduced the fresh legs of Rochina for Diouf. The Manchester United loanee had given one of his best performances of the season and had worked tirelessly throughout the game, both in defence and attack.

The final whistle was greeted with relief by the travelling Blackburn fans while the home supporters silently drifted home knowing that their Premier League life was ebbing away. The Rovers fans celebrated the capture of a valuable point which might yet be enough to see the club safe. Unfortunately, draws for Wigan Athletic and Blackpool means that safety is not yet assured but at least, even if results don't go for them next week, the Rovers will enter the final week of the season knowing that their future rests in their own hands rather than on having to rely on results elsewhere.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are probably safe especially with our goal difference. We were fantastic in the first half. West ham hardly had a sniff and we controlled the game. Then in the second half west ham threw everything at us using all of their strikers and Kean had no answer. We were absolutely shocking in that second half. If it wasn't for samba we would have lost. Samba jones and emerton had good games. The rest were pretty poor. Keans tactics every week leave me fuming. He doesn't have a plan b. Simple as that.

Samba for man of the match.

Kean for villain of the match. We had three points with 12 minutes to go. Two stupid substitutions later we're two points down. It would have guaranteed survival rather than now hoping that the point will be enough.

Nzonzi was my MotM for the first hour or so but Samba's crucial blocks near the end and overall performance sees him edge the MotM award for me.

We got a point away from home and Roberts scored a goal. Can't help but be happy with that surely.

I'm not to bothered how the points keep coming as long as we get enough. I'd have taken 1 before kick off although after 80 minutes I was very unhappy due to the good situations we had wasted. Then again, I expected them to get a winner so am relieved that we did hang on.

39 may be enough points but, unless we get something against Man U, am still expecting a nervous last day.

Strangely, I think we now want West Ham to win at Wigan next week !!!

Kean for villain of the match. We had three points with 12 minutes to go. Two stupid substitutions later we're two points down. It would have guaranteed survival rather than now hoping that the point will be enough.

100%

we are almost there, no thanks to Kean

Just checked the stats and the last time we beat West Ham away was in 1994

The last time before that was a rather amusing 8-2 scoreline on boxing day 1963.

I really thought we had a chance of bucking that trend this time, so am disappointed that we didn't . . but now the dust has settled, will take a point.

West Ham probably deserved to win that, funny enough upfront they have a lot more talent then us.

Holliet looked a little tired and Roberts is nearly 34, had to sub them.

I think I would have put on Benjani rather then RSC.

Andrews I hate him but he was not that bad.

Poor but got the result.

Was more scary seeing Rochina come on though, thoght he'd do something stupid.

Samba was like a black Hendry today.

Maybe our players got a bit nervous last 30 minutes, Nzonzi got sloppy with a few others.

Samba = best performance from him in some time, blocked two certain goals in the dying minutes and was solid the whole game

Roberts = Get rid

Andrews = Get rid

Diouf = Send home

RSC = Send home

Pederson = only useful now in deadball situations

Kalanic = GIVE HIM A CHANCE!

The manager = looks more out of his depth with each passing game, his substitutions again cost us and he continues to pick the players that brownnose in the media

It looks like we are safe with effectively 40pts when you count our GD against those below us, however if our chicken mongering friends fail to ditch kean in the summer and get a proper manager our relegation will have merely been postponed for a season, we MUST get this clown out the managers chair he's just not good enough to be a manager of any team

novella were you watching first half? We went asleep after our goal!

Yeah I watched it. West ham didn't have a sniff. We hardly went to sleep. We were in control of the game up until Half time. Away to west ham they were always going to get a couple of chances but we limited them well and Robinson wasn't troubled at all.

Well Well it looks as though we are gonna make it.

Well done Kean on the team he put out today we were excellent in the first half and Emerton was superb at right back were he should be. The subs we puzzling as usual, although Andrews actually did okay. Roque didnt sprint once and was pretty shocking, where is Kalanic for gods sake.

We looked tired in the second half, but in the first half we had excellent shape and looked a much better side. Jones has been a revelation for us, and should be top of the list for signings in the summer.

Not sure why Kean is taking such a bashing, I would have biten your hand off if you had offered me a point before the game.

so long as Wolves and Blackpool fail to pick up points this weekend I think we may just have enough, Samba MOM today threw himself in front of everything and dealt well with Ba and Cole.

Guest roverite1991

Never thought I'd say this, but when we were counter-attacking, I thought we needed El-Hadji Diouf back in the side to keep the ball up top for us. He'd be better than our so-called 'targetman' of a loanee, anyway!

Glad of the point (as I would've been before the game). But bog roll was well and truely needed at the FT whistle.

• Backroom

Correct. Kean costs us some more points. If he's still here next season we won't stay up.

We will need WHU to at least draw at Wigan, else we're probably going to need to get something at Wolves on the last day of the season. That's a scenario that could have been avoided if we hadn't allowed a poor West Ham team to dominate us in the second half of today's match.

SAMBA underlined why he is our best player for me.

Superb challenge 3 yards out in the 90th minute. IMMENSE!

Jermaine Jones, Emerton & Diouf also played well I thought.

RSC apparently came on too!! Oh and Julie 'cant tackle' Andrews too!!

Stupid subs?

Of course. Kean's fault.

Beyond a joke. Fan of the club? Get an absolute grip. Pathetic.

Good effort from the lads. Would have taken a draw. Kean did as much as he could have, and dare is say it, Andrews wasn't that bad???

We were marginally the better team first half, I think Robinson had one save to make and Green none(other than picking the ball up)?

Second half we sat back and it was obvious what was going to happen. At one point West Ham got the ball on the half way line and there wasn't a Rovers player within 20 yards of him, we were sat so deep. I know Kean is useless, but bringing on Andrews.......

I wasn't impressed at all with Santa Cruz today, he didn't even want to sprint, absolute waste of money.

Samba <3

Can you justify having a £90k a week striker on the bench and not playing him? Roque is one of the best strikers to play the lone role, but he was a slacker when he came on.

As for Andrews... there must be some clause in his contract. That's the only conclusion I can come to as to why he constantly features.

Anyway, disappointed to lose the lead, but I'll take a point from Upton Park.

Kean got things spot on in the first half - players all played their parts really well - couldn't be better.......

Second half - the expected home team effort came late and we were lucky to hold out - olsson is not a left back and we missed Salgado (? our player of the season).......

Main reason they could dominate so easily late on? Step forward Santa Snoooooooooozzzzzzzeee - he NEVER did anything to close down the West Ham defenders who could reach the half way before having to play the ball.

I am delighted with the result and cannot now see us being relegated but will be disgusted if we take on Roque even if he takes a massive pay cut and is on a free.

Man of the match and hero-in-chief Samba - bloody superb :rover:

From the other thread:

Barry said:

The frustration stems from keeping the game contained at 0-1 and then 2 poor substitutions which have contributed to us dropping a potential 3 points and leaving us still in danger of being relegated.

Managers live and die by their decisions and it would seem that Kean... time and time again... just does not have enough awareness to make a difference.

WOLVES AWAY

Trouble is Barry, our manager does not live and die by his decision. Certainly not his on-field ones anyway.

He must be the safest manager in the PL.

Predictions: Kean and Andrews to both be in their current positions next season.

P.S. Mods, if you plan to shepherd the discussions into another thread after each game, would it be possible to move the last couple of pages to, for easy of quoting?

Stupid subs?

Of course. Kean's fault.

Beyond a joke. Fan of the club? Get an absolute grip. Pathetic.

Good effort from the lads. Would have taken a draw. Kean did as much as he could have, and dare is say it, Andrews wasn't that bad???

Booth was bang on, the club was almost there, those subs changed the momentum of the game.

so yeah:

Stupid subs?

Of course. Kean's fault

When has Santa Cruz ever done a spirit?, I think Kean wanted him to hold it up, but the team was too nervous in the second half.

even some of our better player started to turn to jelly a little.

Archived