BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other premier league 2011-12

• Backroom

I like Rodgers but doubt he'll recreate what he did at Swansea. Must be especially disappointing for Swansea considering they've just splashed out on their record transfer, who was likely massively swayed to join the club by Rodgers and his style of play.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, it sounds like it'll be a fight between Swansea and Norwich over Kean. We'll struggle to hang onto him now we are out of the PL.

Mrs D will refuse permission to speak to him though, I bet. -_-

:lol::blink:

Interesting day in football outside of rovers.

Rodgers for Liverpool?!?!? But they're a "massive" club. Certainly not a top manager as yet, and getting Liverpool near to where they want to be - top 4 - is a challenge only the best of managers may have a chance with.

Also given it took a while for Swansea fans to warm to him, and given that from what I saw of Swansea this season they weren't that good. In fact I think they'll really struggle next season. Don't get me wrong they did well to stay up, but no better than Stoke when they first stayed up or Bolton when they came up with us. Playing a certain way seems to get extra bonus points.

Regardless why would you want to go to Liverpool. A classic poisoned chalice. Not sure they'll overtake city, manure, chelsea, arsenal, or spurs anytime soon. They'll do well to get ahead of newcastle at the moment as well. Seems like a bad career move to me.

Villa would be a good job for someone. They don't see themselves as top 6, but have a massively underachieving squad, solid fan base, and the new chap will get a lot of slack just for not being mcleish (sp?). Could see Martinez or Lambert being interested in that one.

But it didn't do Hodgson the world of good. His rep took a bit of a dip because of it.

Sure he's England's manager now but when he left everyone was saying - media and pundits alike - what a failure it had been.

There is a lot of difference between taking the Liverpool job being a bad career move and doing him a world of good.

What I'm was saying is that it didn't do him any harm. Got the West Brom job pretty quickly after the being sacked at Liverpool. If Rodgers does the same he should be pretty happy with the outcome I think.

Besides, a lot of people(Journalists included) will probably look at Liverpool and think that if King Kenny couldn't sort them out then its not a surprise Rodgers didn't either(assuming he doesn't do well)

Interesting day in football outside of rovers.

Rodgers for Liverpool?!?!? But they're a "massive" club. Certainly not a top manager as yet, and getting Liverpool near to where they want to be - top 4 - is a challenge only the best of managers may have a chance with.

Also given it took a while for Swansea fans to warm to him, and given that from what I saw of Swansea this season they weren't that good. In fact I think they'll really struggle next season. Don't get me wrong they did well to stay up, but no better than Stoke when they first stayed up or Bolton when they came up with us. Playing a certain way seems to get extra bonus points.

Regardless why would you want to go to Liverpool. A classic poisoned chalice. Not sure they'll overtake city, manure, chelsea, arsenal, or spurs anytime soon. They'll do well to get ahead of newcastle at the moment as well. Seems like a bad career move to me.

Villa would be a good job for someone. They don't see themselves as top 6, but have a massively underachieving squad, solid fan base, and the new chap will get a lot of slack just for not being mcleish (sp?). Could see Martinez or Lambert being interested in that one.

Agree with all of this. Swansea barely create any chances in games and when they do they have to fall to Graham as Sinclair is Modeste-like in his finishing ability. I mean if you have the ball the other team can't score but they just pass it round the back and rarely look like scoring themselves. They benefited greatly from a strong defence and keeper and that is what kept them up. Teams eventually worked them out tho and they will probably struggle next season barring a very good managerial appointment. People just call it good football cos the ball stays on the floor but it isn't that effective.

Yea money seems to be the only reason for going to Liverpool. Although he won't be able to spend much and they urgently need a goalscorer. As for Villa, their owner is also hesitant to spend money but it is an attractive prospect for an up-and-coming manager and certainly a better one than Norwich. I think Wigan, Norwich and either Swansea, Reading or Southampton will be going down next season, just hopefully we can take one of their places.....not that I expect it to happen.

There is a lot of difference between taking the Liverpool job being a bad career move and doing him a world of good.

What I'm was saying is that it didn't do him any harm. Got the West Brom job pretty quickly after the being sacked at Liverpool. If Rodgers does the same he should be pretty happy with the outcome I think.

Besides, a lot of people(Journalists included) will probably look at Liverpool and think that if King Kenny couldn't sort them out then its not a surprise Rodgers didn't either(assuming he doesn't do well)

Not sure if I agree with this as it hampers their chances of getting a top job in the future. It's a different kind of job at a "bigger" team due to added pressure on winning trophies and more media attention. Hodgson probably won't get a top job again in England unless he wins an international tournament with England or something. And the same for Rodgers if he failed at Liverpool. As for Dalglish it was evident he had been out the game for too long and as for his pretty terrible signings, there is the question of the sporting director's involvement with them.

I see what you're saying. Thanks for pointing out the Kenny factor now working for the next person(s) in role (assuming Rodgers is tied down.)

Personally I think it did harm Roy's reputation a bit (although perhaps this has now deminished as you say thanks to Kenny's failures.) All the analysis of whether Roy was right for England all had his time at Liverpool as a negative, of him not being suitable for the job. So would disagree that it didn't harm him.

Personally I think Roy got a bit lucky with West Brom insomuch as it was rather harsh to sack Di Matteo. He'd got them promoted the season before, they certainly weren't adrift and although on a bad run had had a promising start to their premiership return. Certainly one of the more suprising sackings. Had the West Brom job not come up, I wonder whether Roy would've been so fortunate in his past two appointments.

Lambert is leaving Norwich for Villa. He seems to be a great lad and is a very good choice by Villa.

Meaning that it's likely that either or both Norwich and Swansea will be desperately fighting relegation whilst the big clubs maintain the status quo by feeding off their carcasses. Modern football is sh1t. It destroys hope and without hope there isn't really all that much left for all but supporters of half a dozen mega clubs.

Meaning that it's likely that either or both Norwich and Swansea will be desperately fighting relegation whilst the big clubs maintain the status quo by feeding off their carcasses. Modern football is sh1t. It destroys hope and without hope there isn't really all that much left for all but supporters of half a dozen mega clubs.

God you're a breath of fresh aren't you. Why do you watch it then?

because he likes being miserable. gordon is only happy, on here at least, when he is either being miserable or telling someone else how superior his knowledge of most things is to theirs. Now he may be totally different in real life - I can't say because to the best of my knowledge we've never met - but I wouldn't guarantee his being a barrel of laughs there either

God you're a breath of fresh aren't you. Why do you watch it then?

because he likes being miserable. gordon is only happy, on here at least, when he is either being miserable or telling someone else how superior his knowledge of most things is to theirs. Now he may be totally different in real life - I can't say because to the best of my knowledge we've never met - but I wouldn't guarantee his being a barrel of laughs there either

Why do some people need heroin, nicotine or alcohol etc? None of it is any good and will make their lives a misery.

Why do you need to ask Salgado?

btw You both know I'm right and if either would like a small wager that at least one of those clubs will be relegated next season then I'll be HAPPY to oblige and even HAPPIER to take your money off you. There hows that for positivity? :tu:

Wigan assistant manager Graeme Jones is favourite for the Swansea job, don't know a lot about this fella but the fact that he's an assistant at Wigan says a lot. I bet the Swansea fans will be completely underwhelmed if this comes off, they'll be a strong bet for relegation next season.

I do like how saying sensible, in all likelyhood truthful things, nmakes you 'negative' and 'miserable'.

A few on here still haven't learnt the lesson re Venky's, Kean and 'just being positive FFS'.

Take it with a pinch of salt, Matty.

In the absence of any real news people are just starting to get a bit frustrated with each other. I've hovered over the Post button many a time recently before clicking the Football Messageboard link instead.

Even our own ITKers have gone quiet either because they've hit brick walls or because they need to keep things under wraps.

After 18 months of daily sound bites / BS things have gone very quiet and it's bloody annoying.

Take it with a pinch of salt, Matty.

In the absence of any real news people are just starting to get a bit frustrated with each other. I've hovered over the Post button many a time recently before clicking the Football Messageboard link instead.

Even our own ITKers have gone quiet either because they've hit brick walls or because they need to keep things under wraps.

After 18 months of daily sound bites / BS things have gone very quiet and it's bloody annoying.

Until we are either sold or hit bankruptcy it'll get quieter Stuart. That is a side effect of dropping off the Premier League media fest. .... or am I just being pessimistic again? ^_^

gumboots / salgado if you want to see jolly and happy stuff all the time then go to a circus and watch the clowns. :P

Until we are either sold or hit bankruptcy it'll get quieter Stuart. That is a side effect of dropping off the Premier League media fest. .... or am I just being pessimistic again? ^_^

gumboots / salgado if you want to see jolly and happy stuff all the time then go to a circus and watch the clowns. :P

thought that's what we've been watching for the last 18 months!

BTW I don't care if you are miserable - I'm not feeling jolly myself with what's happening at Rovers, but I try not to appear to take too much pleasure in being miserable. As I said - I don't know you and you could be the life and soul of the party. It's why I never attend any of the meetups that people arrange from time to time. I prefer not to have my image of people destroyed!

Why do some people need heroin, nicotine or alcohol etc? None of it is any good and will make their lives a misery.

Why do you need to ask Salgado?

btw You both know I'm right and if either would like a small wager that at least one of those clubs will be relegated next season then I'll be HAPPY to oblige and even HAPPIER to take your money off you. There hows that for positivity? :tu:

You've obviously never done heroin.

I wasn't disagreeing but a young up-and-coming manager who started out in League 1 takes that club to the Premier League and then gets the opportunity to manage the fourth most successful club in England who have won 7 League Titles, 7 FA Cups and 1 Champions League, all while getting a raise and money for transfers and wages, unlike his previous club, but we'll ignore all that and use it to turn it into a pointless rant on the state of modern football.

What about all the ecstatic Villa fans who have had to put up with a season of Alex McLeish? And Swansea and Norwich were likely to be battling relegation anyway. And there is still hope about. Where were Man City a few years ago? And Newcastle a couple of seasons ago? Swansea had to beat Hull in 2003 to prevent them dropping out of the Football League.

Archived