BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] £30,000,000... has Jerome hit the jackpot?

Guest SuperAgentJB

Guest TheArtistFormallyKnownAsJB

I apologise if there is already a topic regarding this, but I would like some input if possible regarding the subject matter.

To get to the point...

Agents take money out of football. This summer, it is suggested that our club will have the biggest budget to spend on new talent in its history. Perhaps this is not relative in terms of the Quality-Price ratio of the early 90’s, but the questions I would like to ask are “how much do you believe of our projected 30 million pound budget will find its way into the pockets of agents” and what would you suggest to curb the trend of agent spending”

According to reports, Jerome Anderson is the agent Venky’s have asked for guidance in, firstly purchasing the club, and secondly securing transfer targets. I personally believe that agents can be worth their pay check in some situations, particularly when arranging transfers abroad, but the general consensus regards an agent’s mantra to be centred on money. Look at the Gael Givet saga last month as an example.

Jerome-Anderson-007.jpg

At a guess, I would suggest that, if we are to spend the 30m on 5 players, at least 3m of that (10%) will find its way into the pocket of SEM. Although this is an estimate, I feel this is an expensive service for any club, and if franchises such as ours are ever to compete with the big boys, capping agent fees would be a good start.

Then we could perhaps see Jerome as more of a Scout/Advisor, and less of a “vampirical money grabbing tosser”

So do managers and players.

Yes I agree.

Are you arguing that Agents level of earnings are relative to their workload? I would suggest a player or a manager (although ridiculously over paid) still puts more into a football club than any agent could ever do.

I seem to recall that under the previous regime we would pay a maximum of 250k to our agents. (JW or the Financial report last year)

I would be amazed if we paid 10% with our current regime but not surprised to see as much as 20% as the true figure. ;)

Like many areas of football the fees to agents need capping, taking the rough with the smooth, a player that wants to move to a certain club being the smooth.

jerome anderson on talksport talking about football and little bit about samba

it's about 14 mins in between 8-8.30 bit of the show

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/listen-again/episode/35547

Nice link,

To me, Jerome sounds a knowledgeble bloke. He seems at least capable of understanding the way the modern game seems to be heading.

My only qualm comes from my problem with the entire agent profession.

I'm not going to go into the various reasons I think agents are the biggest leeches in the game, suffice to say I think they are, and that without them we'd see less player greed also. So that said, how to stop this blight?

A cap on agent fees seems a decent idea, though it'd have to be carefully calculated to be the right amount in every league worldwide (if you just do it in England, you'll find we can't attract or keep top players anymore), including each tier. It would also have to be reconsidered probably every year. Additionally, I wonder whether it might simply encourage agents to cause as much trouble as possible and ensure as many transfers happen as they can manipulate, to make up for the shortfall. I know they're bad for this anyway, but I expect it would go into overdrive, and they wouldn't want clients to sign long contracts anymore.

Personally, and apologies if I have some misunderstandings here as I'm no expert, I feel the PFA should handle all agent-related matters. Unless I'm mistaken, they keep their own stock of agents for players who can't really afford them? And I'm presuming they don't charge clubs through the nose, especially for their own services. I don't know if every league in the world has a PFA equivalent, but if it does, it'd make a lot of sense to me to boost their budgets and have all agent matters go through them.

Another suggestion could be implementing rules where the clubs have a maximum 1 agent, or agency to run all of its affairs. This would include the entire playing/coaching staff.

Would certainly make agents less likely to move on players because they would no longer be under their agency. Hiring an agency in this way could also create a more "invested" agent role in football, meaning that the Agents or Agencies are more inclined to want the best for a club.

Another suggestion could be implementing rules where the clubs have a maximum 1 agent, or agency to run all of its affairs. This would include the entire playing/coaching staff.

Would certainly make agents less likely to move on players because they would no longer be under their agency. Hiring an agency in this way could also create a more "invested" agent role in football, meaning that the Agents or Agencies are more inclined to want the best for a club.

No, come on. The agents work for the players not the club. A real solution would be to prohibit agent fees outright. Limit them to a percentage of wages and not transfer fees. The FA could implement this but would drive top players to Europe, so it has to be a UEFA initiative. If Platini is serious about financial fair play, reducing the cost of doing business would be an appropriate first step.

• 2 months later...

Archived