BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] NOTW hacking scandals...

Seems that a day doesnt go by without another part of society being told that they may have been the subject of phone hacking by NOTW. Peoples concious could cope with celebs etc, but poor Milly Dowlers phone? victims of July bombings? Now families of those that have died at war?

I know all of these claims have not been fully substantiated but it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if it were all true. Especially coming from such a scummy firm. So how should the government react? Should they all be hung out to dry pending an investigation?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems that a day doesnt go by without another part of society being told that they may have been the subject of phone hacking by NOTW. Peoples concious could cope with celebs etc, but poor Milly Dowlers phone? victims of July bombings? Now families of those that have died at war?

I know all of these claims have not been fully substantiated but it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if it were all true. Especially coming from such a scummy firm. So how should the government react? Should they all be hung out to dry pending an investigation?

The people responsible need jailing simple as that.

The Milly Dowler message deletion, which gave the family false hope that she was still alive, is truly despicable :angry:

We buy the NOTW, but won't be anymore.

News is that sainsburys have pulled their advertising today from the NOTW. I can't see how other companies won't do the same. At the end of the day they clearly now have better places to spend their advertising money and by not pulling their ads they will be seen to be looking at the frankly horrific allegations and saying...."we don't care".

With regards to the BskyB bid, well, I think its evident that it must be at least suspended. The fact that any one man should have a huge stake of influence in the media in one country is an outrage. The fact that its Rupert Murdoch is sickening.....

Find it hard to believe that NOTW and the Murdoch empire were the only ones employing these techniques. That being said, I think the whole thing will end with NOTW being shut down.

That being said, I think the whole thing will end with NOTW being shut down.

Take a bow. This Sunday's edition will be the last one.

Won't be missed. Scum.

Murdoch continues to show he is a shrewd operator, what better way to show the strongest possible signal of action than closing the paper down?

Removing one paper from his empire will also increase his chances of the BSkyB takeover going through, especially if the competition commission gets involved. There is talk of 'The Sun' now going to do a Sunday edition so long term the loss of the paper might not be so huge to NI.

Not a good week for the Tory party.

They signalled the end of train making in Derby this week after 170 years with the disgraceful Bombardier decision and now David Cameron's bum-chum has been forced to close an 168-year old institution and biggest selling newspaper in the English language.

Cameron is very close to Murdoch and Rebekah Wade, the former Now editor, and will be under big pressure now over the BSkyB decision, which has conveniently been put back to September.

More than 200 talented journalists have lost their jobs because of the irresponsible actions of a few but most won't be out of work for long. Look out for the first edition of the Sunday-type Sun soon. The Sunday Sun already exists as a Newcastle-based paper.

According to ITN, they are saying that the name Sun On Sunday was regestered a couple days ago.All the money from sales for the last Notw edition will go to charity and all advertising space give to charity organisations, bit late for that now.

We buy the NOTW, but won't be anymore.

1. What on earth made you buy that? Serious question.

2. You may as well carry on cos there's only one more to come.

....and now David Cameron's bum-chum has been forced to close an 168-year old institution and biggest selling newspaper in the English language.

That statement speaks volumes about our society. As long as I have ever known it has been nothing but a load of crap.

I'm sorry that people will be losing their jobs (not everyone who works at the NOTW was involved in the phone hacking) but frankly you reap what you sow. Good riddance.

Whatever you think of the NOTW as a paper, you can't condone the sacking of hundreds of people, 99% of whom have nothing to do with this scandal whilst Rebekha Brooks keeps her job as head honcho of News International. This is a disgraceful case of killing the Indians to mask the Chiefs' mistakes.

But your 'good riddance' attitude is why Murdoch and Brooks will get away with it.

Whatever you think of the NOTW as a paper, you can't condone the sacking of hundreds of people, 99% of whom have nothing to do with this scandal

Scandal is a great choice of word in this case. Did those workers object to the weekly scandal mongering that they helped publish in that odious rag? The scandal mongering that destroyed so many peoples lives and careers? Did they hell. Live by the sword and die by the sword.

Whatever you think of the NOTW as a paper, you can't condone the sacking of hundreds of people, 99% of whom have nothing to do with this scandal

Pff, all they'd do is spend their time trying to find out which celebrities are sleeping with each other. Good riddance.

Scandal is a great choice of word in this case. Did those workers object to the weekly scandal mongering that they helped publish in that odious rag? The scandal mongering that destroyed so many peoples lives and careers? Did they hell. Live by the sword and die by the sword.

You don't like the NOTW, we get it but it doesn't mean you should take glee at innocent people losing their jobs. Be angry at Rebekha Brooks, be angry at Coulson but why take glee at people like cleaners and sports reporters losing their jobs when the actual people responsible are still making their six figure salaries?

And believe it or not ALL newspapers are involved in scandal mongering. The Sunday Mirror, the Mail on Sunday and even the lefty Guardian. Other than this hacking scandal (which I don't think is limited to the NOTW or even NI) they are no worse than any other paper.

Sun sub-editors have walked out in support of their NoW colleagues. Newspapers strikes in Wapping, public sector demonstrations on the streets, unions in ferment ......this really is a rerun of the 1980s.

For Thatcher, read Cameron. Welcome to Tory Britain.

Andy Coulson, Cameron's former press adviser and former NoW editor, has also been told by police he will be arrested tomorrow over the phone hacking scandal.

How long before Wade (Brooks) is arrested too ?

Sun sub-editors have walked out in support of their NoW colleagues. Newspapers strikes in Wapping, public sector demonstrations on the streets, unions in ferment ......this really is a rerun of the 1980s.

For Thatcher, read Cameron. Welcome to Tory Britain.

Haha bloody hell jim, only you could compare a typically devillish Murdoch manoveure as he tries to salvage his BSkyB bid to the Battle of Wapping in the 80s!

If Labour had won the last election this STILL would have happenned.

Now he has his chance to start the Sun on Sunday.

Archived